Mets in Blue

Telemundo219

Is it me or over the past few days have the Mets been wearing the all blue cap more at home and less of the black and blue cap everyone hates?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Is it me or over the past few days have the Mets been wearing the all blue cap more at home and less of the black and blue cap everyone hates?

I noticed that oo. I know they have worn them more since Randolph became manager but I believe it was mostly day games. Now it has been 3 night games in a row. Maybe they are starting to finally drop the black drom the scheme with the caps being the first to go.

I don't think it's just you. When the Mets were on ESPN playing the Yankees the other day, I also took note of the fact that there was something different -- nay, something BETTER -- about how the Metsies looked.

It took a second, but it then hit me that the Mets' cap was its old, beautiful blue, sans the black. It looked so much like the true glory days of yore that for a moment I thought I saw Cleon Jones (it turned out it was Carlos Delgado wearing Cleon's old No. 21).

Now if we can only get them to drop the black drop shadow on the jersey script...

They seem to pick one type and keep using it for a while, then switch to another type. I would expect to see the blacks and black/blues used this weekend and in June on their long road trip.

Blue - White: April 19; May 6, 7, 23, 24

Blue - Pinstripes: April 16; May 21, 25

Blue - Grey: Never

B&B - White: April 3, 5, 15, 17, 18; May 1, 2, 19, 20

B&B - Pinstripes: Only in headshots

B&B - Grey: April 11, 12, 13, 20, 21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30; May 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16

Black - Black (home): April 6, 7, 9, 14; May 3, 4, 5

Black - Black (road): April 22, 23, 24; May 17, 18

Save the slugalo.

As a Yankee fan whose wife is a DIE HARD Met fan, I have been belly aching for years about that awful black. More than anything I have been complaining about the black hat with the blue brim, it is the worst one of the three hats, and they wear it most!

The Mets can have black if they want, but it should be a subtle 4th color. It should be Blue, Orange, White AND THEN Black. Get rid of the black third and fourth jersey and make it blue. The original blue hat is one of the best in baseball!! Maybe take a page from the cardinals and wear blue at home and a darker hat on the aways if you like it so much. But for the love of God, you can't have a fairly dark blue on a black hat with no white, just organge around it, it is illegible!! What makes me even angier is they obviously see this issue on the all black hat because it has white in it, but not on the blue/black hat!! Awful!

The Mets as a franchise just stinks. They are one of the most poorly run in the history of sports, we all know that. But they seem to have made some good moves the last year or so with Minaya/Randolph, so lets also get rid of this AWFUL uniform and bring back some classic baseball sense! I hope they just don't wait until they get a new stadium because they have like 4 years until that happens!

Dude, I think I can honestly say that I completely disagree with everything you just said. I dig the black jerseys and think the black hat with blue is the best hat. That's just a matter of opinion. But to say that the Mets are one of the most poorly run franchises in the history of sports might be the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. They have had their ups and downs but I'm sure I could name 50 sports franchises in history that are more poorly run than the Mets. Come on.

I'm not going to name 50 because I don't feel like getting into an individual debate about every single team with people. My point is that I wouldn't consider the Mets one of the most poorly run franchises in sports history. There are plenty of teams that are worse. You can start with every pro team that is not in the city they originated in. And add the Atlanta Hawks in there because I've heard plenty of stories from people that worked for them.

You can start with every pro team that is not in the city they originated in.
Dangerous argument. Detroit Pistons, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Lakers are horribly run?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If money talks, then Mets fans should no longer buy any Mets products that have black in it.

Likwise, Mets fans -- and many baseball fans, including myself, who enjoy wearing all kinds of baseball caps -- should buy Mets caps with the orange NY.

Maybe the cash registers will send a message to the Mets front office.

Go. 50. I'll give you a head start. Chicago Blackhawks. You're down to 49.

Not history per se, but currently:

New York Knicks

Golden State Warriors

Atlanta Hawks

Seattle Supersonics

Los Angeles Clippers (one good year doesn't negate 30 SICKLY ones)

Portland Trailblazers

New Orleans Hornets

Toronto Raptors

Boston Bruins

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals

Florida Panthers

Atlanta Thrashers

Columbus Blue Jackets

Arizona Cardinals

Detroit Lions

Cleveland Browns

San Francisco 49ers

Minnesota Vikings

Houston Texans

Chicago Cubs

Pittsburgh Pirates

Baltimore Orioles

Kansas City Royals

Washington Nationals

Seattle Mariners

Florida Marlins

Arizona Diamondbacks

Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Down to 20.

You can start with every pro team that is not in the city they originated in.
Dangerous argument. Detroit Pistons, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Lakers are horribly run?

They were when they were in their original cities. Why else would they have moved. The Minneapolis Lakers were losing all kinds of money when they moved in 1960. So to answer your question, yes, they were horribly run.

Dude, I think I can honestly say that I completely disagree with everything you just said. I dig the black jerseys and think the black hat with blue is the best hat. That's just a matter of opinion. But to say that the Mets are one of the most poorly run franchises in the history of sports might be the most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. They have had their ups and downs but I'm sure I could name 50 sports franchises in history that are more poorly run than the Mets. Come on.

Prove me wrong...

They yearly ALWAYS have one of the top 5 highest payrolls in baseball and they barely even make the playoffs. Not too mention they have made some of the worst moves in the last ten years of any other team in sports.

They gutted there World Series team in 2000 for no apparent reason and basically ran Mike Hampton the ace out of town so they could lower the overall value of the team so one owner could buy out the other at a reduced price

They have overpaid for the likes of Mo Vaughn, Jeromy Burnitz, Cliff FLoyd, Vince Coleman, Bobby Bonilla (who I think they are still paying), Roberto Alomar jr., Pedro Martinez (he is doing well, but no one was even close to paying him that much), Dave Kingman, George Foster, Bret Saberhagen, Armando Benitez, Carlos Beltran (so far he has a lot to prove), Kazuo Matsui and the list goes on...

They gave away talent like Kazmir for nothing as well as guys like Kevin Mitchell, Nolan Ryan, Jeff Kent,

They hold the record for worst regular season record in the history of baseball

All of this while outspending the market and having little or no discernable direction with the exception of a few World Series years over 20 years ago.

SO I say "poorly run", because how many other teams have the huge payroll and the outstanding fan support of the Mets and keep coming up lame? I can barely think of many other teams that torture there fans as much. Atleast with the Cubs and teams like that, they have no chance most of the years they stink, the Mets owners do just enough to make you feel like you have a shot and then they swipe the rug out from under you. Most of my family are Met fans and you can set your watch by the rollercoaster of hope and then dispair year after year. This year they seem like a really good team, but in Met fashion, I am waiting for something terrible to happen.

They hold the record for worst regular season record in the history of baseball

I'm a Yankee fan and agree the Mets have been a poorly run team the last few years abd historically. However I'm not going to blame them for having the worst record in baseball history. They were an expansion team back in the 1960's when in sports expansion teams often had some of the worst teams in history. The fact that they were able to turn it around quickly to win a championship in 1969 shows the team was well run from a baseball standpoint. The difference between the 1969 Mets and the 1997 Marlins or the 2001 Diamondbacks is the fact that the 69 Mets came before Free Agents. Meaning the Mets had to do it by signing (later drafting) young talent and grooming them.

I won't sit here and compare the Mets history to the Yankees in terms of Championships because I'm not going to win that argument, but a Yankee fan talking about other teams over paying for talent. Hi pot, I'm kettle. Wow. I'll admit, the Mets have done their fair share of overspending (I believe they are still paying Mo Vaughn not Bonilla), but let's be reasonable. How many rings has A-Rod, Sheffield, Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina won for you lately? Just curious. A couple more names that I believe the Yanks paid pretty good money for that barely lived up to the hype: Carl Pavano, Jarrett Wright, Kevin Brown, Jeff Weaver, Hideki Irabu, Jose Contreras. If you ask any moderate baseball fan what team comes to mind when they hear the word "overspending" I think the Yanks would be right up there with the Mets, if not more so.

As far as having the worst record in history, it was their first year in existence. Sorry. Plus the Royals will eclipse that record this season.

Also, I think Kevin Mitchell, Nolan Ryan and Jeff Kent collectively have played for every team in baseball.

To me a poorly run team has no fan support and little or no interest in the team.

Archived