Are New Era Hats Not 100% Wool Anymore?

BamaHater

I bought a Offical Houston Astros Red Alt. Hat today and it is not 100% Wool. It is 70% Acrylic and 30% Wool. Is this a new change. I know wool is hot in the summer so is this a comfort issue or is this just another cost cutting measure. I know some of their fashion 5950's are not all made of wool. Some are 100% cotton or mesh. Just curious. I like the wool blend and how it feels and does not itch as much.

I bought a Offical Houston Astros Red Alt. Hat today and it is not 100% Wool.  It is 70% Acrylic and 30% Wool.  Is this a new change.   I know wool is hot in the summer so is this a comfort issue or is this just another cost cutting measure.  I know some of their fashion 5950's are not all made of wool.  Some are 100% cotton or mesh.  Just curious.  I like the wool blend and how it feels and does not itch as much.

Well, something is wrong because the New Era site lists the hat as being 100% wool. Either you bought the wrong hat or you got a hat with the wrong tag.

mlb_houast_5950_alt_lg.gif

WOOL!!!!

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

it could be just the specs for that hat.

and no not all 59/50s are 100% wool any more. some come in a wool/arcylic blend. some even come in cotton.list of a few authentic 59/50s that are made from cotton. just to prove my point

as for the astros hat. i have had that hat before. i tryed to do my wetting the front and shrinking it to my headshape technique, that hat didnt take like the other ones i have had before.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

and no not all 59/50s are 100% wool any more. some come in a wool/arcylic blend. some even come in cotton.list of a few authentic 59/50s that are made from cotton. just to prove my point

as for the astros hat. i have had that hat before. i tryed to do my wetting the front and shrinking it to my headshape technique, that hat didnt take like the other ones i have had before.

All those cotton hats are fashion hats. I thought we were talking about Authentic Collection on-field 5950s.

What is this wetting technique? And does it work to get the big domed New Era style hats to fit to your head better? I wish the gamers were low profile.

fade.gif

I checked some other Red Alt Astros Caps at the mall and there were other ones that had a 70% Acrylic 30% Wool Tag. They seem to feel a little different than the ones they say 100% wool so I am not sure if they are infact different or just a large scale mistake with tags. They also looked a little different shade red than the ones with a 100% wool tag. Not a big deal but I hope this is not the begining of a change to cut costs.

interesting, I'll have to see about that next time I drop by Hatworld. I've seen in there Cubs hats that were either a cotton-poly blend or 100% poly, though they were adjustable, and I think Nike's responsible for those.

edit: found em!

they're 100% poly, and I'd buy one if they came fitted. as I've taken to removing the cap button in recent months, this hat's lack of one actually makes sense to me. however, the lack of eyelets seems odd, likely cus I'm used to hats having em.

1_640.jpg

3_640.jpg

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

What is this wetting technique? And does it work to get the big domed New Era style hats to fit to your head better? I wish the gamers were low profile.

if you want to shrink up your hat take a waterbottle and spray it down, wear it until it drys this way it forms to your head shape

3/4 of all my hats are 59/50s(about 70 some hats) and i do it to all of them.

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

Just picked up 2 new 59Fifty on-field gamers. Both 100% wool.

The techniques for shrinking and shaping caps to your head have been discussed ad nauseum here. Any diligent search will reveal how to shape them (hint: spray bottle, shower, whatever - get them wet, wear them in the sun, take out the backing from the front panels if you're ambitious).

One thing I did notice with my new caps is the palpable difference in 1/8 of a hat size. The 7 1/4 were too snug, but the 7 3/8 almost covered my ears. I went bigger, since the caps all tend to shrink (my old 7 1/4s are barely wearable, and forget about the others that were smaller). Either that, or I am undergoing a Barry Bondsian noggin enlargement in my 30s - which if you look at Ted Kennedy, wouldn't be unusual for aging Irish men... :rolleyes:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

One thing I did notice with my new caps is the palpable difference in 1/8 of a hat size. The 7 1/4 were too snug, but the 7 3/8 almost covered my ears. I went bigger, since the caps all tend to shrink (my old 7 1/4s are barely wearable, and forget about the others that were smaller). Either that, or I am undergoing a Barry Bondsian noggin enlargement in my 30s - which if you look at Ted Kennedy, wouldn't be unusual for aging Irish men... :rolleyes:

I've found the same thing. I used to be a 7 3/8, and now I have to get a 7 1/2 and shrink them down. I think my head may have grown some since I cant get in the same size of the Franchise hats, but I feel like the sizing of 5950s has changed.

I do have an old red, white and blue expos cap from the early 1990's. It's a new era "Authentic Diamond Collection", the precursor to the 5950, but is not wool.

However, I know of no current 5950's that are not wool.

In the late 70's and early 80's, a few New Era "on field" caps were made of nylon. Among those that were completly nylon were the original Blue Jays caps, the 1978 Cleveland Indians "block C" caps, the orange Houston Astros caps, the Expos pinwheels starting in 1980 and the Baltimore Orioles caps with the white front and orange bill. When you see a New Era cap from that era with the colors white, yellow/gold or orange, that color was done with nylon. The white front on the old Atlanta Braves caps was nylon as was the orange bills on the Giants caps and the yellow bills on the Oakland A's caps.

In the late 70's and early 80's, a few New Era "on field" caps were made of nylon. Among those that were completly nylon were the original Blue Jays caps, the 1978 Cleveland Indians "block C" caps, the orange Houston Astros caps, the Expos pinwheels starting in 1980 and the Baltimore Orioles caps with the white front and orange bill. When you see a New Era cap from that era with the colors white, yellow/gold or orange, that color was done with nylon. The white front on the old Atlanta Braves caps was nylon as was the orange bills on the Giants caps and the yellow bills on the Oakland A's caps.

:blink: . Great pickup. I actually went and found my 1983 Expos and Padres on-field caps, and they have nylon panels for the lighter colors. I wish I could wear them, but I was 8 when I got them, so I'm saving them for kids yet to come, but sadly I've had them for almost 25 years and never thought twice about why the front panels felt different from the rest of the cap.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived