Bucks Draft Hat

gmlouisville

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
QUOTE (Sterling84 @ Friday, May 26th, 2006 - 10:36:40)

Purple was racially stereo-type motivated 

huh

That probably sounds ludicrous. ANd I don't want to open an all new can of worms and hijack this puppy.

Our purple came into being after Charlotte and several other teams had gone that teal/and or purple route and the Bucks website says something (paraphrasing) about wanting to appeal to a younger something demographic and it's just obvious. That's code in my book.

That was around the time of the dawn of hip hop...I mean not really, but in terms of it breaking into the mainstream it was and that industry merging with sports apparel and fashion and videos and stuff. It just seems to me, in a blue collar town like this, where the only purple association is a negative one (Vikes) that somebody in NBA Marketing or with teh Bucks was like........we gotta get brothas and sistas wearing Bucks gear...get it in the Snoop videos like the Hornets do. Only nobody would ever admit that of course.

And I don't like to paint any group of people with such a wide brush like that. I know how it sounds. But purple and green? Which demographic in a very general sense, can pull off wearing those colors? Farmers? Deer hunters? This is one of the most segragated major communities in America and I think it was an attempt (for good or bad) to pull in more african american fans. I hope that doesn't offend anybody that this is my opinion of what they did. I think it's horrible and insulting, but that has always been my opinion...even since 1993.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

huh

That probably sounds ludicrous. ANd I don't want to open an all new can of worms and hijack this puppy.

Our purple came into being after Charlotte and several other teams had gone that teal/and or purple route and the Bucks website says something (paraphrasing) about wanting to appeal to a younger something demographic and it's just obvious. That's code in my book.

That was around the time of the dawn of hip hop...I mean not really, but in terms of it breaking into the mainstream it was and that industry merging with sports apparel and fashion and videos and stuff. It just seems to me, in a blue collar town like this, where the only purple association is a negative one (Vikes) that somebody in NBA Marketing or with teh Bucks was like........we gotta get brothas and sistas wearing Bucks gear...get it in the Snoop videos like the Hornets do. Only nobody would ever admit that of course.

And I don't like to paint any group of people with such a wide brush like that. I know how it sounds. But purple and green? Which demographic in a very general sense, can pull off wearing those colors? Farmers? Deer hunters? This is one of the most segragated major communities in America and I think it was an attempt (for good or bad) to pull in more african american fans. I hope that doesn't offend anybody that this is my opinion of what they did. I think it's horrible and insulting, but that has always been my opinion...even since 1993.

Sterling - Glad you clarified that, because I made the same mental note as I read your review of teh changes.

I'll simply say that I agree with everything you just put in your explanation.

It's where I sit.

Especially given that I "met" with them and submitted my portfolio and would've worked like a dog to come up with something as long as it took.

I'm pretty heartbroken here.

OH well....this "new" look should be played out in roughly three years and maybe I'll get to take another stab at it.

Please don't look at this as sour grapes.  It REALLY isn't.  I was rooting as hard as anybody for this to rule cause first and foremost they are my team.

The wordmark does look a little better, but it's like putting curtains in an outhouse.

Would you feel comfortable putting your preliminary designs up on the board? I share most of your sentiments, and, as a fellow Bucks fan, I would be interested in seeing them.

EDIT: I just did a search and saw the concepts you presented in June 2005. Have you updated them since then? Even if you have not, those are pretty sharp!

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

I only submitted to them my current portfolio...which most everybody here knows. Extensive work for the Manitoba Moose and some high school and AIFL work.

I decided to stop doing the job in advance and act like a "pro".

I did some stuff way back for the Bucks that I don't like anymore and didn't show that to them.

bucks_logo.jpg

I reiterate. I DO NOT think this solution works for them. I did this 4+ years ago and realize all it's weaknesses in hindsight.

But I do like my color ideas and the notion of some motion if you know what I mean.

huh

Like when the Kings went to silver and black in the late 1980s. It worked to. Along with the Raiders, Kings gear made it into some rap videos. And I would guess their merchandise took off (though not a fair assment because the year they changed was Gretzky's first year there).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I only submitted to them my current portfolio...which most everybody here knows. Extensive work for the Manitoba Moose and some high school and AIFL work.

I did some stuff way back for the Bucks that I don't like anymore and didn't show that to them.

bucks_logo.jpg

I reiterate. I DO NOT think this solution works for them. I did this 4+ years ago and realize all it's weaknesses in hindsight.

But I do like my color ideas and the notion of some motion if you know what I mean.

wow simply amazing, I love the logo. Finally something "fierce"

Retro Buck--- Happy

Current Buck-- Nothing!

Your Buck- Fierce, Mean, I am going to slam it down your throat look.

great job

That deer is too cartoony to be an NBA logo, but black brown and white could look really cool. I can imagine some possibilites for home jerseys, but would a brown away jersey work? I'm sure somebody could find a solution.

Looks like we'll have to wait a few years at least before new colors are a possibility though. I hope I like the new green and red jerseys!

huh

Sterling - Glad you clarified that, because I made the same mental note as I read your review of teh changes.

I'll simply say that I agree with everything you just put in your explanation.

Interesting. I never thought of it that way. The two explanations I've heard were Lakers+Celtics and the Wimbledon colors. How either of those are appropriate for the Milwaukee Bucks, that's anyone's guess. But yeah, I guess I see what you mean now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When they made the change, the Bucks explained that they were keeping the green because it was traditional, and adopting purple because it was trendy.

Green was retained as a link to past accomplishments. Purple was introduced as a contrasting color and one that, while currently in vogue, will stand the test of time. Silver provides a perfect accent and serves to highlight the deep, rich hues found in the forest green and purple. A number of color combinations were tested before the final combination became reality. Dunleavy even scoured Milwaukee-area department stores with his three sons, to get a feel as to how the youth market reacts.

http://www.nba.com/bucks/history/00397225.html

That deer is too cartoony to be an NBA logo, but black brown and white could look really cool. I can imagine some possibilites for home jerseys, but would a brown away jersey work? I'm sure somebody could find a solution.

Yes it IS too cartoony. That's part of why I hesitate to post it most of the time. I don't like it, but when you post something people tend to think you do. It also has very inconsistent lineweights and a number of other problems. This work PREdates the scowling Moose and immediately followed my touch-up work on the Beloit Snappers logo......so you see, it was scowls-all-around for me at that point.

Also, that isn't black. It's like one notch darker than forest green. I called it "black forest" and it is in retrospect too dark. My unis that went with this were pretty much exactly what the Pistons wear now with my colors. I'd always loved the dual tone stripes down the side of the Bad Boys unis...and at the time I did this those were long gone. Now that the Pistons wear them again, it seems lame.

Interesting. I never thought of it that way. The two explanations I've heard were Lakers+Celtics and the Wimbledon colors. How either of those are appropriate for the Milwaukee Bucks, that's anyone's guess. But yeah, I guess I see what you mean now.

I hadn't heard either of those but these reasons all seem like reaches to me. Like Gothamite's latest post....the reasons the Bucks OFFICIALLY give are green for tradition and purple for...?? Long lasting trendiness? O..........K. And just cause Dunleavy took his kids to the mall doesn't make me feel any better about this. I sold Mike Dunleavy a Shaq jersey...WHILE he coached here so that one of those sons could get an autograph. Somehow I think we should have more solid color theory behind our decisions than what those clowns like.

Milwaukee has no historic claim to purple (like New Orleans or the MPLS Lakers) and has no geographic claim to it like western teams do. We have no sister team affiliation with those colors. They wanted (IMO) insta-street cred like Charlotte. But they didn't have Zo and Grandma-ma.

So when I play the "race" card it's in the most benign of ways. It's a fairly stodgy town at times and it just seemed like a blind stab in the dark beggin' to be lumped in with the cool kids. Seemingly not understanding that the African American community is JUST as diverse and changing and finicky as any other. Black people don't run out and buy everything teal and purple without cause anymore than whites run out and buy everything beige and navy without cause. People in those times were responding to something new and exciting to them and with the stars that wore those atrocious colors. Brad Lohaus in purple just ain't the same. And to assume you couldn't make fashion hay with your OWN color scheme if only you just played better was short-sighted and insulting to the tastes of the consumers they were courting. And the secondary failure was....I didn't buy a single thing with Bucks on it for 13 years. It's hideous. Face it Milwaukee, we're in the middle...we're flyover country. Picking up on a coastal trend 5 years after the fact means we're now 10 years behind and makes it instantly obsolete. Carve your own niche....stay true and your time will come.

So in some ways I was looking for a purging of this tactical error and with the logo still here.......I don't get that sense.

If you listen really carefully you can hear taps playing in the background of this post.

Horrible.

I can't believe that for two years, every "Bucks" concept on this board was a re-color of their existing work. I chastised people..poked, prodded and encouraged...come of with something NEW! Their color problems are only phase 1 I said.

And as if by some cruel joke that is actually what they DO??!! I am stunned. Maybe I shouldn't be. It's the NBA.

Look...ditching purple was priority one. Purple was knee jerk, racially stereo-type motivated and copy cat. The removal of purple is the undoing of 13 years of embarrassment. But to stop there.............Argh. I am so furious.

One of the other (many) problems our look had/still has is that the purple and green were very similar in (help me out Pantone) richness? tone? INsert technical color related term here? SOmething. THey were both mid-dark colors. There was no heirarchy...dark, mid, light that gives a great concept balance and clarity.

Swapping out purple for an equally similar red fixes nothing. And on top of that, now that red and green are sharing the spot light 50/50 we'll be pretty much the only team in pro sports rocking the 70s Christmas theme. Don't lump the Wild in here. THere is a clear heirarchy and red is mostly an accent. They look good.

I don't think we'll realize what a huge copout and mistake this is until some time has passed. The afterglow of purple being gone clouds the real shame here.

Stoned, afraid, man-deer (look at the shoulders) with a pig nose and the revolutionary use of the triangle! are still the hallmarks of this identity. I swear, if those antlers weren't pretty bad ass.....this would be the worst logo in major sports.

Maybe this was mostly a financial decision. Cheaper to redo the arena/offices...get a little retro sales pop while there still is some to be had.

Especially given that I "met" with them and submitted my portfolio and would've worked like a dog to come up with something as long as it took.

I'm pretty heartbroken here.

OH well....this "new" look should be played out in roughly three years and maybe I'll get to take another stab at it.

Please don't look at this as sour grapes. It REALLY isn't. I was rooting as hard as anybody for this to rule cause first and foremost they are my team.

The wordmark does look a little better, but it's like putting curtains in an outhouse.

Glad to see that I am not the only long winded poster when something really bothers me. I feel better in a way. Great comments! Good to get a local fan perspective. Being from the east coast, I have had limited attention devoted to the Bucks after Allen left.

Anyways, I like what they did here for the most part. I think they salvaged some of there history for the better rather than some of the other NBA logo redo's that seem to mesh two different styles that don't work together well for the sake of old/new.

I think using a darker red makes it less christmas-y looking. I like that red, it is sharp. To be honest, I forgot about christmas until someone mentioned it. I think a bright red and green here would have been a disaater, but I think they did well. I also think that redoing the wordmark was huge because the last one had an oversized feel to it that looked bulky and cumbersome on the uni's. The word BUCKS was WAY to big on there older uniforms. I hope this one will translate better. Plus that font might make for a nice sharp number font as well. Quick question? WHY DON'T they have Millwaukee on any of the Millwaukee teams away jerseys? It is such a great name "Millwaukee...Millwaukee..." it just roll sof the tongue....

My only big beef here is that triangle. I think it is sort of random and lame. I feel lilke they could have played with it a bit to make it more dynamic and less flat. The buck has those cool antlers and I can live with the "deer caught in the headlights look" (pun intended), but with the flat lifeless triangle, I think they lost an opportunity to add some dimension or sense of importance.

I only submitted to them my current portfolio...which most everybody here knows.  Extensive work for the Manitoba Moose and some high school and AIFL work.

bucks_logo.jpg

I reiterate.  I DO NOT think this solution works for them.  I did this 4+ years ago and realize all it's weaknesses in hindsight.

But I  do like my color ideas and the notion of some motion if you know what I mean.

I think it looks good, but can you make it more... you know... so black people would like it?

HAHA... just kidding!

I think it looks great. I think it could work great. There are some minor things that would be great to help it be more polished and basketball-y looking (maybe the mandatory secondary logo with the head of the buck and a ball or something). Also play with line weights and strokes like you have said, but the concept is definetly there. And it is isn't TOO cartooney for the NBA, this is a league with a dinosaur dribbling a basketball and a leprachaun spinning one on it's finger.

But this is really a great idea, and I almost never say that about the concepts that get posted. Great job!

I think Sterling is right that his logo would not work in today's NBA, but that would look hella-awesome as a football concept. Imagine that bad boy on the side of a helmet.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Probably reading too much into this, but the MILWAUKEE BUCKS words are in an elongated octagon which mirrors the shape of the Bradley Center (which in itself has octagonal designs on the outside mirroring the logo of Allen-Bradley Co., whence Jane Pettit's money came from to build the place.)

As for the logo itself, much meh. But it's good to see the original colors back - a Bucks uni is at its best with red letters and numbers trimmed in green with primary leg/arm trim in green with red accents. This I believe.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

As for the logo itself, much meh. But it's good to see the original colors back - a Bucks uni is at its best with red letters and numbers trimmed in green with primary leg/arm trim in green with red accents. This I believe.

I couldn't agree more. Bring back red and green and get rid of purple.

Bucky

I just found this logo, and I think this would have been a great direction for them. The buck is a lot more interesting. I want to know this Buck.. what does he dream about? Who does he love? Why is he so angry?

:P

Bucks%20Logo.jpg

this buck loves mudbugs

Killer Bees, Gorillas, Brahmas, and Eagles make him angry

I just found this logo, and I think this would have been a great direction for them. The buck is a lot more interesting. I want to know this Buck.. what does he dream about? Who does he love? Why is he so angry?

In his head, he's singing:

"How do you solve a problem like Maria?"

I agree with you that "BUCKS" should be in red with green trim. The new logo, however, would suggest that the new color scheme may be reversed. What we've seen so far is "BUCKS" in white/silver with red trim, at least on a green background. Hopefully, they will come to their senses in regards to the home whites by making the letters and numbers red with green trim.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

Archived