"Anti-Rout" Rule

The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC), the governing body for HS sports in the state, passed a new rule for football...

Basically, any win over 50 points is to be deemed "unsportsmanlike" and the coach of the offending team gets an automatic 1 game suspension.

Story

This has gotten the nickname of "the Jack Cochran" rule, in honor of the head coach of New London HS, seeing the Whalers had 4 blowout wins this past year, including a 90-0 beating of Griswold (there was also in instance where NLHS called a timeout right before halftime when they were throttling Tourtelotte/Ellis Tech, causing Tourtelotte's coach to go justifiably apeplop and go after the NL coaching staff..)

Do I like this new rule? Not in the least. Some teams are just better from top to bottom than others. A team could have all it's bench guys in and still be knocking the other team around.

Personally, it's a stupid rule....to me, the better idea would be to have a continuously running clock once it gets to a certain point...of course, this idea was brought up in committee and was rejected :rolleyes:

Thoughts? Opinions?

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this rule sucks. a team shouldn't be penalized because the other team sucks. letting the clock run once there's, say, a 40 point lead would be a considerably better solution here

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

This is a very poorly thought-out and downright lazy rule.

What I would have proposed would be a rule whereby every game resulting in a 50+ point margin of victory merits review by the governing agency. Winning teams would be required to submit a game tape and play logs so the agency can review whether the lopsided result was simply the product of a mismatch or an intentiional runup. Clearly there's a difference between a coach keeping offensive starters in late, calling long pass plays or other trick plays and utilizing multiple blitzes late in a game and simply having a team that top to bottom executes better than their opponent. Forcing a football player, regardless of what string they're on, to exercise restraint in execution will negatively impact their development as players and could lead to serious injury. Clearly the powers that be within the agency aren't going to be inundated with dozens of game films and play logs every week. Seriously, if there's such an abundance of 50+ routs on a weekly basis, perhaps it should be incumbent upon the governing agency to realign conferences and classes to even up the playing field a bit and impose some restrictions on scheduling so that the potential for mismatches is diminished. This sounds like a very lazy governing agency that doesn't want to take the time to evaluate every rout on a game-by-game basis to see who's a poor sport and who's simply got a very good team.

This is really pathetic, especially when you consider that this agency is probably comprised of very highly educated people.

So, if your bench players are kicking butt too, are you forced to just take a knee for 3 downs and punt?

This is a ridiculous rule. Humiliation builds character. Maybe the losing school will make a move and get a new coach.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

This is lame. I have a better idea.

In Iowa, they used to have what we called the '50-Point Rule.' If a team is up by 50 or more points in the 2nd Half, the game is called.

That's right. The game ends.

Just recently, they changed the rule so the clock goes faster.

Why not go that route and end the game? It'll make games quicker. ;)

Stupid rule. Simply inforce a mercy rule. I know here in AZ 1A-3A has a 42 point mercy rule. Although almost all of our games were ended by half time (in our favor) it still stopped the 80-0 scores.

yes, but they still don't have any mercy rules for the 4A or 5A. Even though they are working on a 40 point mercy rule for both divisions in 4A thanks to the Cactus Cobras <_<

Stupid rule. Simply inforce a mercy rule. I know here in AZ 1A-3A has a 42 point mercy rule. Although almost all of our games were ended by half time (in our favor) it still stopped the 80-0 scores.

yes, but they still don't have any mercy rules for the 4A or 5A. Even though they are working on a 40 point mercy rule for both divisions in 4A thanks to the Cactus Cobras <_<

Good...They should have it in 4A and 5A also. But, they haven't had as much of a problem in those divisions then in 2A and 3A...Btw, I went to Phoenix Christian if ya wanted to know. Go Cougs ^_^

PopHeading-1.gif

Good...They should have it in 4A and 5A also. But, they haven't had as much of a problem in those divisions then in 2A and 3A...Btw, I went to Phoenix Christian if ya wanted to know. Go Cougs ^_^

I went to Independence, when I went there, other teams had to have a mercy rule, we plain sucked. But now they are considered a 4A-1 Power...But I think there should be a mercy rule for High School football, they have one for baseball and softball why not have one for football

Illinois has a running clock rule.

40 up, clock runs. If the other team gets within 40 again, clock goes back to normal. We were up on a team 46 or so to nothing and our 3rd string was in, mostly freshman. The other team came back and the final score was 56-40 or so. This was the playoffs!

Doesn't always work. My high school beat a team 80-10 or so a couple years. I never liked that, even though I got to play as a freshman and we were still scoring with running plays up the middle on the other teams varsity. We had linemen kicking field goals. What else can you do? We have 60+ guys in 2A football (300-400 students) and the other team has 17.

Horsecrap. Why punish success?

A better rule would be to suspend any coach that gets blown out by 50 points or more. Punish the losers.

Amen!

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Its horrendous I can see punnishing a Coach if they throw a pass up 50, but if they are running the ball or score off a turnover that happens and its unfair to ask a team to kneel at the goaline. Theres sometime a team is so good and another so bad more then 50 is just going to happen.

ALso if the backups are in there is it fiar to ask them not to try?

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Now wait a second. 50 point win gets the coach suspended?

What's to stop the team down 56-7 to take an intentional safety to get the other coach suspended?

I think it should be a running clock rule at 35 points in the second half. Once it gets back within 35, clock should stop.

I can also agree with calling for a review of the game and requiring game logs in that case. That said, there are certain non-scoring plays that don't go over well for me (mainly kneeling extra points).

This, from a guy who his freshman year, saw the varsity lose 33-7, 25-0, 48-0, 26-7, 28-14, 20-0, 66-0, 75-0, and 53-0... with 66-0 and 75-0 coming with mostly starters still in in the fourth quarter (those two schools hated each other so they competed to put as many points on us as possible.)

LvZYtbZ.png

There are mismatches like this nobody can do anything about it on that level I say as long as teh starters are removed and the reserves are and theres no passing its fine.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

First off, any team that can consitantly beat up on opponents like that needs to find some better competition. Secondly, having someone review games is not going to work. Whose job is it to watch these games? Most officials have real lives outside of the gridiron, and they are not going to be willing to watch another game during the week, regardless if it is just one game or fifty.

Realistically, how many times will a team outscore another by 50 without running up the score? I played football in high school for 4 years. Twice we were 1-9. I remember only one game where we were blown out (76-14 I believe). The other coach had starters in after half time and they scored almost all the points.

There aren't many situations where a team is up by fifty without running up the score.

I know quite a few referees who will call more penalties against a team with an obscene lead. There are a lot more holding and illegal block penalties called against the winning team, especially if it's obvious the team is runnng up the score. Thats not to say the called are imaginary...it's just that penalties that were once marginal are now blatant.

And I haven't heard a coach complain about the penalties either.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Horsecrap. Why punish success?

A better rule would be to suspend any coach that gets blown out by 50 points or more. Punish the losers.

Of course. And how many programs will you kill until you see that's counter-productive?

<_<

That would kill the team here, as who would you have coach after you lose your first 3 games of the season by the combined score of 167-3 like this past season? The vast majority of the time the fault in massive blowouts are the result of large disparity of talent, especially in the lower classifications. For example, Gueydan HS has the second-smallest student population for a school with football in Louisiana. In this district are 2 other public schools that generally do decent, but the district title gets tossed around between the 3 Catholic schools in the district, who can get better players from a wider area (in fact, 3 players on last year's Vermilion Catholic team are from here in Gueydan...), and as a result, win in football handily.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Archived