Sign in to follow this  
Shane Does Art

The NHL Off-season

Looks like the Blues' first overall pick is going to college instead of the NHL...smart or stupid?

TSN

Um, no shock there. He's been planning that for a while now. The Hockey News Draft Preview said he's gonna play for the Gophers next year...

As for the college game, and if it will prepare players for the NHL, it seemed to work for Martin St. Louis, or Fernando Pisani, didn't it? Or, consider that of the Hurricanes Stanley Cup winning roster, I count 12 of the 25 with some sort of college experience... I'd say Erik will be fine going to Minnesota to prepare for the NHL.

Moose

I agree, good choice for the kid. I like that he isnt rushing in to the nhl, not like other rookies...

Also going back to college should give him more time and more experience. That way when he does go into the NHL. He will be more better that everyone thought he was.

Plus, you've realy only got one change to "go to college." Sure, you can go back and get your degree after turning pro, but there's only one chance to experience being "bmoc," and going to class, partying, meeting people, etc. Even if he only goes for a year, or heck, goes for a month, at least he can say he did it...

Moose

Looks like the Blues' first overall pick is going to college instead of the NHL...smart or stupid?

TSN

Um, no shock there. He's been planning that for a while now. The Hockey News Draft Preview said he's gonna play for the Gophers next year...

As for the college game, and if it will prepare players for the NHL, it seemed to work for Martin St. Louis, or Fernando Pisani, didn't it? Or, consider that of the Hurricanes Stanley Cup winning roster, I count 12 of the 25 with some sort of college experience... I'd say Erik will be fine going to Minnesota to prepare for the NHL.

Moose

I agree, good choice for the kid. I like that he isnt rushing in to the nhl, not like other rookies...

Also going back to college should give him more time and more experience. That way when he does go into the NHL. He will be more better that everyone thought he was.

Plus, you've realy only got one change to "go to college." Sure, you can go back and get your degree after turning pro, but there's only one chance to experience being "bmoc," and going to class, partying, meeting people, etc. Even if he only goes for a year, or heck, goes for a month, at least he can say he did it...

Moose

i agree, it's better for the kid to go to college. It will be an experiance for him and he will develope as a player

Personally, I think he should have went pro. Only once in a lifetime do you get drafted 1st overall. And very, very few people can say they have. He could always go back to school if he really wants to. I say cash in now while he can, or he could regret it. Who knows, he could get injured or something and there goes everything.

Personally, I think he should have went pro. Only once in a lifetime do you get drafted 1st overall. And very, very few people can say they have. He could always go back to school if he really wants to. I say cash in now while he can, or he could regret it. Who knows, he could get injured or something and there goes everything.

True, but there is no unwritten rule that #1 picks have to turn pro.

I commend the kid for agreeing to play for the Gophers.

He's gonna be a great defenseman for years to come.

Islanders sign Tom Poti.

Brendan Shanahan to Broadway was a suprise to me. I thought he was going back to the Red Wings. Too much money for 1 year, he is porbally just going to retire after that. Oh well good news for the leafs lol.

I'm dissapointed.

Shany turned down better offers from both Detroit and Monreal to play in NY.

I'm assuming theose offers were for more than 1 year as well.

This opens the door to sign Samsonov.

Seems like he had his heart set on playing in NY and nothing could change it.

Seeing that he is my top LW in my dynasty league, I hope he has a great year in NY so I can trade him before he retires.

The Rangers are back to their old ways by signing an overpriced over the hill veteran in Brendan Shanahan.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170921&hubname=

1 year at $4 mil is hardly "back to their old ways"....it's about the same as what they signed Straka to last season...

A Devils fan lecturing someone on fiscal responsibility in the "new NHL" is kinda humorous...how much are you guys paying Mogilny & McGillis to play for Lowell again? And for that matter, how much are y'all payin Malakhov to sit on his butt and do nothing? :D

The sens made a huge deal today trading Marty havlat and Bryan Smolinski to chicago here's the story:

According to TSN.ca The Ottawa Senators have traded Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski to the Chicago Blackhawks in a three-way deal also involving the San Jose Sharks.

Chicago sent Mark Bell to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Tom Priessing and Josh Hennessy, who the Blackhawks added to a package to land Havlat and Smolinski.

Along with Preissing and Hennessy, the Blackhawks sent prospect Michal Barinka and a 2008 second-round draft pick to Ottawa in exchange for Havlat and Smolinski.

Havlat, a restricted free agent who had been insisting on signing a one-year deal so he can test the unrestricted free agent market next summer, has signed a three-year, $18-million contract extension with the Blackhawks.

The sens made a huge deal today trading Marty havlat and Bryan Smolinski to chicago here's the story:

According to TSN.ca The Ottawa Senators have traded Martin Havlat and Bryan Smolinski to the Chicago Blackhawks in a three-way deal also involving the San Jose Sharks.

Chicago sent Mark Bell to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Tom Priessing and Josh Hennessy, who the Blackhawks added to a package to land Havlat and Smolinski.

Along with Preissing and Hennessy, the Blackhawks sent prospect Michal Barinka and a 2008 second-round draft pick to Ottawa in exchange for Havlat and Smolinski.

Havlat, a restricted free agent who had been insisting on signing a one-year deal so he can test the unrestricted free agent market next summer, has signed a three-year, $18-million contract extension with the Blackhawks.

Despite these moves, I still think the Blackhawks are spinning in the mud. Enjoy the hockey Twilight Zone Martin, you deserve it... B)

The Vancouver Canucks signed Center Marc Chouinard to a 2 year 2 million dollars contract.. This is a horrible move for the Canucks 1 million a year could of been better spents elsewhere and the Canucks didn't need another center they needed a right wing. My prediction is that the Canucks trade Morrison and move Ryan Kesler to the top line while signing Anson Carter.

Anyone mention Jarkko Ruutu and Mark Eaton coming to the pens?

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/fea...arts/1936.0.php

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/team/fea...arts/1934.0.php

Look like some good offensive and defensive additions for us. Should make us a tougher team. More guys to help protect Crosby, Staal, and Malkin.

Despite these moves, I still think the Blackhawks are spinning in the mud. Enjoy the hockey Twilight Zone Martin, you deserve it... B)

IMO This deal was good for everyone except the sens. Long and short term the sharks will benifet for bell. My guess is he'll be on the #1 line with cheechoo and thorton. The Hawks nave a good start with the offence i.e. havlat, daze, calder. they just need a good Vetren to play up with them i.e. peca, samsonov. they could also use a stronger defenceman to beef it up a bit. they goaltending for all three teams is great aswell. I would like to see the sharks trade one of their goalies for a stronger d'man and a solid backup.