The NHL Off-season

right now i really don't know what to think of this because, we now need a new RW to play with Naslund and Morrison on the 1st line, and didn't recieve a forward in the deal, but we do have some pretty solid netminders in Luongo and Cloutier.

Remember when Carter said he wanted to sign with Toronto and they denied him and now after a good year he would say yes? Well re-think that. With the Vigneault hiring it was all but certain that Carter and Jovanovski would leave, now that we have Luongo in here, who is arguably the best goaltender in the NHL that hasn't been on a winning or a team that concentrated on winning.

I would figure Carter would resign for 2m/yr for 3yrs (i don't like it because Carter tends to disappear) which would be ok but i don't like it, if he stays with the Sedins throughout the whole year, that would be perfect.

That would leave the #1 RW spot open. Not to mention the twins are RFA and they deserve 3.5 at least each. Our cap space will be soo ugly.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things to watch for at the NHL Draft, by the ever-knowledgeable Scott Burnside :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2006/co...tory?id=2498223

Elias to Ottawa? Just what they need, another moody sniper. <_<

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Things to watch for at the NHL Draft, by the ever-knowledgeable Scott Burnside :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2006/co...tory?id=2498223

Elias to Ottawa? Just what they need, another moody sniper. <_<

The devils better resign elias and keep gomez and gionta. Elias had a great year and he only played about half of it. Keep whays working. Just get D

Florida Panthers prority #1:

RE-SIGN ROBERTO LUONGO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

After that:

Get some scorers that will compliment Olli Jokinen and Joe Nieuwendyk.

He's going to Montreal, everyone knows that. Why else did they dump Jose?

hahahaha...i laugh for today's news.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I CAN NOT BELIEVE THIS...

The Canucks FINALLY have their goalie, and got rid of a fat contract and a player who wasn't living up to the paycheck.

Nonis has finally made his mark with the Canucks.

I'm still in shock over this. My favorite goalie now on one of my favorite teams and one of my favorite players is now down playing for a dying franchise. I can't wait to see Luongo suit up for the Canucks...him playing there is the next best alternative than playing for the Leafs. This is going to be one interesting summer...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

right now i really don't know what to think of this because, we now need a new RW to play with Naslund and Morrison on the 1st line, and didn't recieve a forward in the deal, but we do have some pretty solid netminders in Luongo and Cloutier.

I can see them flippin Clouts for someone to put on RW or Centre. There is a reason they shipped out Auld and not Clouts because he is perfect trade bait. I CANT see him agreeing to play 20 or less games when he is starter calibre.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

TSN.ca story

i can't believe this has happend right now. all Dave Nonis has to do now is lock up Luongo long-term.

As a Red Wings fan, I dropped quite a few expletives when I heard the Luongo-to-Vancouver news. He would have looked great in a Wings uni. :cursing::D

Luongo has been one of the top goaltenders in the league, despite playing for a garbage franchise in Florida. I imagine he will be even better in Vancouver, with a good team in front of him for once.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

also on a side-note, Alain Vigneault gave the boot to Crawfords coaching staff(McIlhargy, Johnston, and Smith) but has yet to name replacements.

I had a feeling he would, it was time to make a full turnover with the entire coaching staff. I just hope the things i heard about AL Vino isn't true. He loves to play the vets over the rooks and i dont know if i would be too pleased about that because this year we might have a few youngsters making the jump to fill the 4th line (it looks like Santala might do 3rd line duty).

Ah well, we have a #1 goalie, sure. But for how long? 1yr deal or long term?

Nonis made a skid mark, he hasn't made a deep hersey stain yet on this team. When we hear "LUONGO SIGNS MULTI-YEAR DEAL"...then he makes his mark.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Stay off the bandwagon you wagon jumpers...just getting a headstart for the wagon jumpers.

Us Vancouver born canuckers will bust a cap in you away like Cheney with a shotgun come thanksgiving.

I will miss Bryan Allen and Baldy Auldy...Todd well Keenan got us him, he can have him back.

I'm not on the bandwagon--as a Flames fan I don't any trade that makes the divisional rivals stronger--but on the other hand having the potential for 4 strong goalies in the division should make for some entertaining hockey.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Great move for the Canucks except it leaves them a little weak up front.Get ready for musical goalies this off-season.

I bet Martin biron goes to the Kings. You watched it'll happen!

Cloutier goes to St.Louis

Roloson goes to the Wings

Denis goes to Tampa Bay

and

Giguere goes to Florida

untitled-6.jpg

Nonis made a skid mark, he hasn't made a deep hersey stain yet on this team. When we hear "LUONGO SIGNS MULTI-YEAR DEAL"...then he makes his mark.

What are the odds Luongo will soon be flipped to another team? I don't see Vancouver letting go of Cloutier until they have Luongo under contract and who knows if or when that will happen. Considering he is on a contending team now, I can see him signing soon...but if he will sign long term is anyones guess...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

Rumours and whispers I've heard say that Roberto eventually wants to end up in a Montreal uniform. Then again, I also heard grumblings that he wanted to finish his career in Florida, so who knows whats really in his head.

I do think he wanted to play for a Canadian team, and Vancouver mightbe the team for him. he has said that he will test the free agent market once his deal expires, and rumour is he won't sign a long terms deal until he is eligable for a no-trade clause (I guess he doesn't want to be stuck playing for a team he doesn't like for a long time.)

Vancouyver has the potential to be a good team, they were missing a solid goalie this season, Cloutier started ok, but was out most of the year. Bertuzzi is a loss for the team, but they still have the two top guys. They still have the Sedin line, which had alot of life this season. If they are doing well, Roberto might change his mind about not signing after playing for a solid team (after stints on Long island and Florida)

Luongo for Auld and Bertuzzi? I think I'm going to go kill myself now. Keenan has just buried the Panthers in another 10 years of no playoffs. There is NO way any other top NHL players will want to come here. Olli Jokinen is probably going to want a trade later. Nieuwendyk and Roberts will probably call it quits as soon as they can. The fans will turn their backs on this team. Great job Keenan. The Heat win a championship and instead of saying "I want to be like them!" you said "I want to be the crappiest team in Florida!"

I understand that Luongo wasn't singing a long-term deal. The reason for that was because you weren't bringing in top notch talent. Keenan was keeping the same team and asking him to stick around. If you had actually tried to build a team and Luongo said piss off I'd understand. The worst part is we got a 31 year old guy who breaks people's necks. Everyone int he league hates him. He's goign to be a lightning rod for people to hate the Panthers. I hate Todd Bertuzzi, and I will boo him everytime he's on the ice in South Florida! I guess the problem is Keenan doesn't know how to build a team. My god this is so depressing. By trading Luongo for Bertuzzi and side junk, Mike Keenan has broken the Florida Panthers' necks. I hate hockey.

:cursing::cursing: :cursing:

On a side note: Since I can't put Luongo on my authentic Panthers alternate jersey from when the "sticks" Panther was on the blue one (last year worn was 02-03) who should I put? Bouwmeester?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Luongo for Auld and Bertuzzi? I think I'm going to go kill myself now. Keenan has just buried the Panthers in another 10 years of no playoffs. There is NO way any other top NHL players will want to come here. Olli Jokinen is probably going to want a trade later. Nieuwendyk and Roberts will probably call it quits as soon as they can. The fans will turn their backs on this team. Great job Keenan. The Heat win a championship and instead of saying "I want to be like them!" you said "I want to be the crappiest team in Florida!"

I understand that Luongo wasn't singing a long-term deal. The reason for that was because you weren't bringing in top notch talent. Keenan was keeping the same team and asking him to stick around. If you had actually tried to build a team and Luongo said piss off I'd understand. The worst part is we got a 31 year old guy who breaks people's necks. Everyone int he league hates him. He's goign to be a lightning rod for people to hate the Panthers. I hate Todd Bertuzzi, and I will boo him everytime he's on the ice in South Florida! I guess the problem is Keenan doesn't know how to build a team. My god this is so depressing. By trading Luongo for Bertuzzi and side junk, Mike Keenan has broken the Florida Panthers' necks. I hate hockey.

:cursing::cursing: :cursing:

On a side note: Since I can't put Luongo on my authentic Panthers alternate jersey from when the "sticks" Panther was on the blue one (last year worn was 02-03) who should I put? Bouwmeester?

You do know that since Bertuzzi FINALLY has a legitimate centre Oli and him can become a volitile offensive paring. Bertuzzi has the size to get infront of the net and do some screening for Oli and they have the passing ability to give the puck to one another. Just lay off Bertuzzi, he is a great player and you may soon be eating your words when he and Oli start racking up the points like Thornton and Cheechoo did. Trust me, Bertuzzi has been the spark plug winger Florida has lacked for ages. And for goal tending, have you not heard of a young David Shantz? In 2-3 years, this kid will be starring between the pipes for you guys and stealing games. While he is no Luongo, he is very close. The future is not that bleak for the Panthers with Luongo gone, it just improved your offence.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Go Leafs Go!

For now I'm gonna say this is a pretty even trade. Sure, the Canucks upgraded their goaltending, but goaltending wasn't the reason they missed the playoffs last year. And without another scoring winger, the Canucks are sunk.

Florida, on the other hand, has got a winger who is set up for a comeback year, a dependable goalie, and a solid, defensive defenceman. As of right now the Panthers are the winner of this trade.

It'll be interseting to see how things work out.

The more I think about it, the less I like this trade. Luongo is an improvement over Cloutier/Auld, but we've lost a guy, that no matter how bad he plays, will attract the best (sometimes second best) defenseman on a team, and with him gone, that d-man could shut down the Sedins, or the Naslund line.

But the player I'm going to miss the most is Bryan Allen. He turned into a dependable d-man last year and finally looked like top 5 talent at times. No doubt he'll be even better next year, and with him gone, our defensive depth looks thin. Auld will be missed, but the Canucks still have Noronen, who is touted to be the next Kiprussof (unlikely, but that just shows how much potential he has).

Archived