CLEMENS SIGNS WITH ASTROS

Brass

Roger Clemens has signed with the Houston Astros, making about $3.5 million a month. More details to follow....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

no need to leap off of buildings...yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2463566

Astros GM says Clemens situation is 'status quo'

ESPN.com news services

Houston Astros general manager Tim Purpura denied a report on Tuesday that Roger Clemens had picked a team for 2006, saying the situation was "status quo."

Clemens' agent, Randy Hendricks, also denied the report.

Newsday reported on its Web site that Clemens had decided to re-sign with the Astros and an announcement would be made as soon as today.

Purpura denied the report, telling ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, "It's status quo, except for all the media attention we've had."

"We've had no conduct with Roger's people today," said Purpura, adding that the last time he talked to Hendricks was Sunday.

Purpura said he was told then that "Roger was still in the mode of trying to decide what he wants to do." So essentially, Purpura said, "We're just awaiting his decision."

Hendricks told ESPN.com that he hasn't spoken to the Astros on Tuesday.

"Contrary to Newsday, there is no agreement with the Astros," Hendricks said.

Clemens has accelerated his workouts in recent weeks in anticipation for his return. The Astros, Red Sox, Yankees and Rangers have been rumored as possible landing spots for the Rocket.

In December, the Astros declined to offer Clemens arbitration after he went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA in 32 starts. However, Clemens began to wear down late in the season and lasted just two innings in Houston's Game One loss to the Chicago White Sox in the World Series due to a hamstring injury.

In his two seasons with the Astros, Clemens posted a 31-12 record with a 2.43 ERA.

An 11-time All-Star, Clemens has more wins than any other living pitcher and ranks ninth all-time with 341 victories. In 672 career games, he is 341-172 with a 3.12 ERA and has recorded 4,502 career strikeouts, trailing only Nolan Ryan (5,714) on the all-time list.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

if it comes out of hall of famer peter gammons's mouth it must be true.

Haha.

He's also the man who predicted a Twins-Cubs World Series last year and said Sean Marshall would win the NL Rookie of the Year this season.

OK, you may now resume your normally-scheduled jumping off of buildings... :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2464315

Updated: May 31, 2006, 3:25 PM ET

Rocket relaunch: Clemens rejoins Astros

ESPN.com news services

HOUSTON -- Roger Clemens is coming out of retirement for the third time, agreeing to a contract to pitch for the Houston Astros for the rest of 2006.

The 43-year-old Clemens, who will be entering his 23rd major league season, is agreeing first to a minor league contract that pays $322,000 over the five-month minor league season, and his first start is likely to be June 6 at Lexington, Ky., the Class A team where his oldest son, Koby, plays.

Roger Clemens announces that he's ready to pitch again for the Astros.

If all goes well, his second minor league start would be June 11 at Double-A Corpus Christi, Texas, followed by a start June 16 at Triple-A Round Rock, Texas.

Clemens announced his return Wednesday at a news conference.

"The ball's in my court now," he said. "This was a difficult decision on my part in a number of situations. I have to now take the next step and get my body ready to come back, get effective, win games."

When he is added to the major league roster, he'll get a one-year, $22 million contract -- actually, the contract would be worth $22,000,022 (Clemens' uniform number is 22). But because he won't be playing the full season, he'll receive a prorated percentage of that, which would come to about $12.25 million if he rejoins Houston in late June. The tentative goal is to have him start against the Minnesota Twins on June 22; if he's put on the big league roster that day, he would earn $12,632,307.

Randy Hendricks, Clemens' agent, reiterated Wednesday that earlier reports of a deal were premature. Hendricks told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that Astros GM Tim Purpura went to Hendricks' house Tuesday night and met with Hendricks and his brother, Alan. Owner Drayton McLane also took part in the talks by phone, Hendricks said, and they worked out the terms "after midnight."

The Astros were 27-26 and 6½ games behind the NL Central-leading Cardinals after Tuesday night's 6-3 victory over St. Louis.

Clemens pitched for the Astros last season and helped them reach the World Series for the first time. Houston, the New York Yankees, Boston and Texas all tried to lure Clemens to pitch this season.

"Although we are disappointed that Roger Clemens will not be joining the Red Sox, we are glad that we went through the process and reconnected as an organization with Roger," the Red Sox said in a statement. "We wish him the best of luck with Houston and in the National League. When Roger's career does come to an end, we will welcome him to Fenway Park and will forever consider him to be a legendary and beloved member of the Boston Red Sox."

Clemens last pitched competitively in the World Baseball Classic, where he beat South Africa for the United States in the first round and lost to Mexico 2-1 in the second on March 16.

Clemens retired after the 2003 season, then changed his mind and joined his hometown Astros after former Yankees teammate Andy Pettitte left New York to sign with Houston.

In Detroit, New York Yankees manager Joe Torre heard the report Tuesday that Clemens was returning to Houston.

"I'm not at all surprised," he said. "I didn't think that him coming back here was ever going to happen. Houston's just such a perfect fit for him -- he lives there and Andy's on the team. That's why he came back before, and the circumstances haven't changed."

Texas owner Tom Hicks was told last week by the Hendricks brothers that the Rangers were out of consideration, Texas GM Jon Daniels said.

"Tom got the call on Friday that we were no longer in the running for his services," Daniels said Tuesday. "The way we looked at it was, it would be an honor to be associated with him, but we've continued to focus on the 25 guys here. It would have been nice, but we weren't planning on it from the get-go."

Clemens won his seventh Cy Young Award in 2004, going 18-4 with a 2.98 ERA. He went 13-8 with a 1.87 ERA last year, winning the major league ERA title for the first time since 1990.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

...stupid double post... <_<

This whole Roger Clemens soap opera is too Michael Jordan-esque for my liking.

Well unlike the last situation where Michael Jordan was the only one who thought that Michael Jordan could still play, Roger Clemens knows that he can still play, and everyone else konws it. That's why it was a huge bidding war. And thank the Lord that the Yankees or Red Sox didn't get him. We all know the media would not shut up about it if he went to either one of those places.

Archived