Old trends coming back

baseballking99

Absolutely!  When the White Sox bucked tradition and introduced powder blue in 1965, it was much paler than later versions (due to the fabric of the day), but they looked better IMO.

chi.jpg

Sorry, but the Sox didn't introduce powder blue. That would be the Cubs who wore it from 1941-'42:

nl_1941_chicago.gif

Moose

well i guess the cubs have to be given credit for something, winning sure as hell isnt one of them

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned the type of shirts worn under the vests. This is an important, but too often ignored, topic. Regular t-shirts worn worn under the vests look great; they are my favorite style of baseball uniform (except for the Yankees' greatness, which can never be topped under any circumstances).

The problem is that the tight performance shirts look absolutely stupid under vests. I think that Ken Griffey was the first to commit this sin, shortly after he joined the Reds. Back then, he was the only player on the team to wear the tight shirt. As if it didn't look bad enough by itself, the atrocity was compounded when the team's sleeve patch was stitched onto the tight shirt. The tightness of the shirt pulled, stretched and distorted the patch, and it looked ridiculous.

I kept hoping that the league would step in and tell Griffey to wear a normal t-shirt like everyone else, but it never happened. It took a few years, but others gradually began doing it as well, and now the entire vest look is being ruined. Alas.

Vests are great for the minor leagues. I think in the majors, the uniforms should be a little more standardized. You don't have some teams with drastically different sleeves in other sports. The NFL's variety of sleeve lengths, from baggy and long on kickers, to short and tight on running backs, to nonexistent on linebackers, to exposed shoulder pads on that one Tampa Bay guy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As an aside...as far as vests go, this years nike short sleeved undershirts with the vests look absolutely horrible. Especially with the Pirates or Reds. Definitely one of the worst things I've ever seen.

And as for the old Blue Jays and Angels vests with incorportated sleeves. To me, that was horrible, N

too. What is the point of a vest, if sleeves are sewn in? Then on cold days players would wear a long sleeved undershirt, leading to the rediculous double undershirt look. I'm so glad that's a thing of the past.

apr10_jays1.jpg

Nice double sleeves

Archived