Orioles all orange

cableguy

Slim down that awful sleeve trim, and you have a nice little jersey there. Not sure I could handle orange monochrome as a matter of course, but, there you go.

I had an old Boog Powell card that clearly showed an orange shirt and orange pants.  Considering his ample girth, he looked ridiculous.

Wasn't Boog on the '74 Indians when they wore the all red unis too?

As was Gaylord Perry :wacko:

There are some baseball players who just don't look good in any baseball uniforms. Gaylord Perry, after he gained all that weight, is an example. Another I think of from that era is Mickey Lolich.

Likewise, there are some baseball players who look fantastic in any baseball uniform. Mickey Mantle was born to wear a baseball uniforms. He would have looked fantastic in the Orioles all-orange or the Indians all-red, but the Yankee pinstripes made him look like a god.

My wife was looking at that photo of the four Orioles pitchers in all orange and she said, "That Jim Palmer was hot." Of course, she was probably thinking of his old underwear commercials.

I had an old Boog Powell card that clearly showed an orange shirt and orange pants. Considering his ample girth, he looked ridiculous.

No more ridiculous than Dave Parker must have looked like with the Pirates' all-yellow ensemble.

1. The Orioles were ahead of their time with the monochrome look.

2. Dave Parker looked cool in the yellow-over-yellow.

One thing I remember from that season (from an SI article on the Orioles), was that these special uniforms came from a sporting goods company partly owned by Brooks Robinson. At the time, as I considered the somewhat-less-than-fitting pants, I thought he'd lowballed them on the quality of the fabric. Now, of course, in today's uniform culture, those pants look positively tight.

Archived