Brewers' Negro Leagues Throwback Night

Gothamite

I got my Brewers update email, and noticed this from the press release:

The 10-day, 10-game stand will be highlighted by the First Annual Negro Leagues Tribute on June 2 (emphasis mine)

I think it's interesting. Good for them, but Milwaukee didn't exactly have the strongest Negro Leagues tradition.

They may not have had the strongest tradition in the Negro Leagues, but it is nice that they are acknowleging players and teams that many whites had probably never heard of.

Also, aren't the Nationals wearing Homestead Grays' jerseys for the game?

How come when someone asks why a team has 4 alternate caps everyone answers, "MONEY $$$"

But then when they do Negro leaugue night or Hispanic night all of a sudden everyone thinks they are simply "acknowledging the past".

No, sorry it's still about money.

Are the Brewers selling Milwaukee Bears merchandise?

As far as I know, they're auctioning off the jerseys they're wearing for a fundraiser. Thus the concern over one of the people they're honoring, as his "foundation" has produced no records showing that he's raising or donating any money to aid Negro Leaguers.

It's where I sit.

How come when someone asks why a team has 4 alternate caps everyone answers, "MONEY $$$"

But then when they do Negro leaugue night or Hispanic night all of a sudden everyone thinks they are simply "acknowledging the past".

No, sorry it's still about money.

How can you say that "it's about the money" when it doesn't say anywhere that the Brewers are selling Milwaukee Bears merchandise? That doesn't make sense.

QPR%20Sig.png

As far as I know, they're auctioning off the jerseys they're wearing for a fundraiser. Thus the concern over one of the people they're honoring, as his "foundation" has produced no records showing that he's raising or donating any money to aid Negro Leaguers.

That's a serious concern.

But it's not at all the same thing.

I'd love for him to tell me how this can be "about money" for the Brewers.

That's a serious concern.

But it's not at all the same thing.

I'd love for him to tell me how this can be "about money" for the Brewers.

As long as that was his point, I agree. My point was concern about the foundation.

It's where I sit.

Not too late for them to do something about that.

And it'll be a fair amount of cash they raise, I'll wager. The pink Mothers' Day bats raised quite a bit (there's one currently signed by the team up for auction now, bidding at $1525.00).

The Brewers should make sure that the proceeds go to the right place.

"First annual" isn't grammatically correct.

To me, "inaugural" means first, but doesn't specify length of time until it's repeated. "First Annual" means the first of an event that is planned to occur once every year. I wouldn't call the two terms synonymous. And "inaugural annual" sounds clunky.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It can be both.

"First annual" can be correct, despite the fact that the event's only happened once.

To call something "annual" means it must happen every year. The first one occurred last night, and there is no guarantee that it'll happen again next year, no matter how sincere the Brewers' efforts are into doing it again. However, the fact that the Brewers planned the first event with the intent of holding subsequent events on a yearly basis is considered good enough to satisfy the criteria for calling it a "first annual" event.

[REF: "Common Errors in English Usage" by Paul Brians. Washington State U. has the book online, an invaluable resource for Grammar Nazis like myself and OMMF :P ]

EDIT: (I misread what footballfiji was trying to say when I posted this. My bad.)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

On a tangent the Brewers' Triple A affliate Nashville will be wearing Milwaukee throwbacks tonight that will be autcioned off for charity...

From "The Tennessan"

Jerseys for charity: Fans at Greer Stadium will have a chance to take the shirt right off a Sounds player's back tonight as Nashville hosts the Albuquerque Isotopes.

The Sounds will be wearing retro Brewers jerseys, which fans can bid on in a silent auction held during the game.

Tables will be set up at the front gate and near the fan relations center with a minimum bid of $75 per jersey. The auction will run through the seventh inning, and all proceeds will go to the Nashville Ronald McDonald House.

RobbyBox2.jpg

"First annual" isn't grammatically correct.

To me, "inaugural" means first, but doesn't specify length of time until it's repeated. "First Annual" means the first of an event that is planned to occur once every year. I wouldn't call the two terms synonymous. And "inaugural annual" sounds clunky.

I would tend to agree.

Here are the uniforms:

grays0602.jpg

jeremi0602.jpg

Archived