Next stop for keenan?

yh

I think its safe to say that most of us in Blues Nation are very happy to see Mike Keenan out of work again.

My question for interested parties - does some desparate NHL team out there swallow their pride and take a chance on this megalomaniac?

My thought - Meet the new Director of Hockey Operations for the WHA.

If things go bad in New York again and the Rangers miss the playoffs for the 7th straight season, I see him returning to the Rangers as possible GM/Coach.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'd say Keenan to the Rangers...it would fit with the team's philosophy of hiring big names who do absolutely nothing.

As for Florida...anybody know what King (former Columbus coach) is up to?  From what I understand he's considered good with younger players, and Florida certainly has alot of those.

Keenan left the Rangers under very bad terms, citing a technical breach in his contract as grounds to nullify the whole thing.  If I'm not mistaken, the Blues wound up compensating the Rangers with a draft pick and an active player.  I just can't imagine him going back to big blue.

Does anybody think nowadays coaches in the NHL are getting the hook way too soon.  I never liked changing coaches during the season.  Besides that, it's frustrating to see 3 or 4 different coaches on a team within a few years.  I don't think they're giving these guys enough slack.  Hopefully some of this will change in the future, but I don't see it happening.  I think if you give a guy a few  years he might have the chance to turn things around.  Heck the whalers/canes stuck with maurice and he got them to the cup finals (the canes aren't very good now, but that's not his fault).  I think something needs to be done about this.

It's getting to be more and more of a knee jerk reaction to a team doing poorly than the abilities of the coach. Whether than let them try to work out of the difficult period, lets fire the bum and bring in someone with a completely new and diferent system to coach our team in midseason. It's like two years ago when the Raptors couldn't sink a shot to save their lives, the talked about sollution was 'Fire Lenny Wilkins" what does Lenny Wilkins have to do with their inability to sink shots?

It happens becasue teh coach makes a nice easy scape goat. You don't fire the players becasue thats who people come to see, you don't really care who's behind the bench if the team is doing good, but when they're bad...

Ultimately its all economic.  Teams know that success on the ice means more butts in the seats, and a team that isn't winning (with a few exceptions) is a team that isn't making money.  When a team is doing poorly there is a great deal of stress placed on the organization from the players up to the GM (and beyond) and the coach is the weakest link.  It doesn't help matters that at any given point there is a modest pool of NHL experienced coaches waiting to be brought in which decreases the overall value of coaches even more.  If qualified coaches were hard to come by, the idea of fireing a coach would be much harder to swallow.  Ironically all the rescent coach firings have succeed in only further decreasing the value of coaches.

Archived