Winnipeg's One Night Stand

NickNickNick

OF course, it also pains me to see so many Leaf jerseys in this town, but whatever, that's paternal and CBC brainwashing of the populace for ya.

Heyyy man, nothing wrong with our brothers to the west showing their love for Canada's team. ^_^

*ahem* the self-proclaimed Canada's team.

Sorry, but Leaf fans and the CBC forget there's life outside of the GTA.

We'll remember that the next time Winnipeg becomes an island :P

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

This thread brings a question to mind. How do people in Quebec feel about the Avalanche? Do the Avs have a good fanbase there or do people dislike them?

Think about how they were pissed to lose a team that won the Stanley Cup the very next year...

They have a huge grudge against the NHL, and while they aren't necessarily Avs fans, they still hate the Habs...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

This thread brings a question to mind. How do people in Quebec feel about the Avalanche? Do the Avs have a good fanbase there or do people dislike them?

I heard they rooted hard for the Avs the year after they left, when they won the Cup, and celebrated them for it.

It always amazed me how citites like Quebec City and Winnepeg couldn't keep their teams, although with the exchange rate and everything I guess the smaller Canadian cities couldn't resist the temptation of... Phoenix and Denver...

Didn't Colorado play a pre-season game in Quebec City this year?

I recall seeing the former Nords players wearing Nordiques jerseys during the pre-game skate.

I think it was the last season, Sakic, Foresberg and one other player warmed up in the old blue sweaters. Don't think they can pull that off with the Coyotes since everyone's moved one since they moved

That would be Adam Foote, my friend.

And now Sakic's the only one left with the franchise. The Last True Nordique.

Shane Doan's the Last True Jet.

Who's the Last True Whaler? Is there anyone on that Hurricanes team that stuck with the franchise since leaving Hartford?

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

I recall seeing the former Nords players wearing Nordiques jerseys during the pre-game skate.

I think it was the last season, Sakic, Foresberg and one other player warmed up in the old blue sweaters. Don't think they can pull that off with the Coyotes since everyone's moved one since they moved

Who's the Last True Whaler? Is there anyone on that Hurricanes team that stuck with the franchise since leaving Hartford?

Glen Wesley was on the Whalers.

Glen Wesley was on the Whalers.

Right!

Except unlike Sakic and Doan, he didn't stay with them for each season since.

The Maple Leafs picked him up for the 02-03 playoffs.

Didn't quite work out, and he went back to the 'Canes.

Meh, close enough. 'Twas only 12 games away from the WhalerCanes.

Glen Wesley, the Last True Whaler!

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that the Winnipeg Jets return soon. Even with the possible rise in the NHL salary cap ceiling and floor, that city still has a shot to acquire a franchise. It's a matter of getting the right owner, a good marketing strategy, making ticket prices worth the price of admission because most of all, a high-quality hockey operations department can build a winning team the right way. If that can be done, I believe NHL hockey can happen in Winnipeg better than ever before.

But I don't live there, so I really cannot provide a local perspective of Winnipeg of the pros and cons to one day bringing an NHL team to MTS Centre. It's a matter of good business sense and a collective belief by the community they can achieve what they want.

Meantime, I will obviously be late in its creation, but I plan to write an article on this very subject about this preseason game. When it's complete, I'll share it with you.

Archived