NBA in Pittsburgh

ericcartman19

I believe their basketball team is called the Panthers.

Why you would want an NBA team when you already got the better form of the game in town is beyond me.

But yeah, the short (real) answer, that has already been said, is: Mellon Arena.

I can throw a few reasons off the top of my head.

1- Pittsburgh is a small market. With the problems the Penguins and Pirates have had, do you really think the NBA would want to put a team there?

2- Yep, the Mellon Arena (and its lack of luxury boxes) isn't fit for a pro team.

Seriously, The City of Pittsburgh needs a huge rebirth for an NBA team to happen; Both structuraly and financialy. If the Isle of Capri gets the slots license and the new arena is built, Pittsburgh becomes more attractive. Even if the slots license goes elsewhere (to Harrah's and Forest Hills Ent.) and the Pens reject plan B and move (which they surely will), Pittsburgh DOES need a new arena regardless (for wrestling, concerts, etc.)

A new arena however won't assure an NBA team. The Pittsburgh market would need to show a huge interest in basketball. It would need to sell out exhibition games and the Xplosion would have to average more than 6,000 per game (thier attendance went from a few hundred to 1,600 by season's end, although adding some former Pitt players with name recognition and marketing that fact would help).

Ill echo the sentiments of the others, the Burgh is about to lose its hockey team because they won't build them a new arena to play in so with that being said what would attract a basketball team to play in that graveyard of an arena?

I dont know there are 5 at least cities that deserve teh NBA before Pittsburgh

Like which teams?

I would put the following ahead of Pittsburgh:

Oklahoma City (permanently)

St. Louis

San Diego (Only the Clippers, though)

San Francisco (Move the Warriors)

Buffalo

Louisville

I dont know there are 5 at least cities that deserve teh NBA before Pittsburgh

Like which teams?

I would put the following ahead of Pittsburgh:

Oklahoma City (permanently)

St. Louis

San Diego (Only the Clippers, though)

San Francisco (Move the Warriors)

Buffalo

Louisville

Don't the Warriors already play in SF? If not, right outside it.

Also, if any city would get an NBA team, it'd probably be St. Louis, although the NBA has already failed twice there...

Also, if any city would get an NBA team, it'd probably be St. Louis, although the NBA has already failed twice there...

The Warriors play in Oakland next to the Raiders/Athletics Stadium. If the Warriors would move, I see San Jose as a viable option since SanFran doesn't have a decent arena.

The Warriors play in Oakland next to the Raiders/Athletics Stadium. If the Warriors would move, I see San Jose as a viable option since SanFran doesn't have a decent arena.

How far is San Jose from San Francisco/Oakland?

I took a poor man's vacation to SF a couple of years ago (bringing only a backpack) and crossing the bay and coming out in Oakland was less-than-fun experience. I don't want to put down Oakland too much, but the Colosseum looks like it's in a war zone. If they could build an arena somewhere in SF, and I'm sure they could find the space, it'd make a lot of sense to get out of Oakland. And fast.

The NBA has already stated cities that they target for relocation or expansion, especially if the Seattle Supersonics or New Orleans Hornets relocate

1)Oklahoma City

2)Las Vegas

3)Kansas City

4)San Jose

5)Anaheim

i have no explanation for the last 3, i got them from articles:

http://www.keepmedia.com/pubs/MercuryNews/...10032&oliID=213

http://www.nola.com/printer/printer.ssf?/b...28514976920.xml

but definitly Pittsburgh needs a new arena, penguins relocating is not helping for a future NBA bid..

Pittsburgh has never had interest in pro basketball going back to the early days of the NBA until present day, most people get their bball fix with the Pitt Panthers(who have one of the best basketball arenas in the country college or pro) & high school hoops.

How far is San Jose from San Francisco/Oakland?

I took a poor man's vacation to SF a couple of years ago (bringing only a backpack) and crossing the bay and coming out in Oakland was less-than-fun experience. I don't want to put down Oakland too much, but the Colosseum looks like it's in a war zone. If they could build an arena somewhere in SF, and I'm sure they could find the space, it'd make a lot of sense to get out of Oakland. And fast.

San Jose is 36 miles south of Oakland, and about 45 miles from San Francisco. San Francisco proper doesn't have an arena, and the Cow Palace, which lies on the border of San Francisco and Daly City (to the south), is too old (opened in 1941) and too small (seating capacity for basketball is about 13,000). However, while the Oakland (Coliseum) Arena underwent a KeyArena-style renovation in the mid 90s, the Warriors played about two seasons (or was it one?) at the former San Jose Arena (now HP Pavillion). For purely business reasons, the Warriors would never leave Oakland because they're the #1 tenant in their arena, while moving to San Jose, they become the #2 tenant to the Sharks.

Location-wise (never been up there, but heard stories), it's not the most attractive site, but the Warriors, despite being afwul the last 12 years and the Bay Area being a very large media market, have very good attendance. In fact, before the Oakland Arena's renovation, the Warriors had about a 8 1/2 year sellout streak.

As for Pittsburgh, I could never see them as a viable NBA city. Echoing my fellow posters, they need a brand, spanking-new arena first and foremost. They have a shrinking population, and they just about have enough people to support the three pro teams they do have already. Although it can create instant regional rivalries like Cleveland, Detroit, and Philadelphia, I just can't see Pittsburgh as a NBA city, but you never know.

It's so weird that the Warriors have such good attendance. I mean, they're like the forgotten sports team of the Bay Area. Maybe because they haven't done anything in forfreakingever.

And to futher support this evidence, the Warriors finished 10th in home attendance this season. They averaged 18,273 per game, with an average of 95 percent of their seats being filled.

Warriors Home Attendance the last four years

2005-06: 18,273 (10th in NBA)

2004-05: 16,350 (20th)

2003-04: 16,145 (20th)

2002-03: 15,486 (22nd)

As you see, the attendance has gone up, but considering the dreck they've had over the last decade-plus, they still have pretty damn good support.

Archived