NBA in Pittsburgh

ericcartman19

Pittsburgh broadcasts Cleveland Cavaliers games on local TV.

Cleveland would never broadcast Pens games.

doesn't Cleveland Broadcast the Blue Jackets sometimes?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pittsburgh had an ABA team from '67 to '70...they won the ABA Championship in '67, and had HOFer Connie Hawkins on the team. Their colors were Orange & Blue a la Syracuse...here's a link with their history and logo:

http://www.remembertheaba.com/Pittsburgh-Pipers.html

Had the Pipers not been sold and moved for a year after the 1968 season they could have built a decent fanbase and maybe survived until the merge, once they came back the few fans they had could care less.

However Pittsburgh has an ABA team now called the Xplosion.

But, yeah, they need a new arena. However, this doesnt seem like a basketball city to me either, and i live here.

However, imagine if the Pens got the new arena and, somehow, Pittsburgh gets an NBA team. We would have a state-of-the art arena, the best ballpark in the country, a world champion football team in a great stadium, a young talented hockey team, and one of the most historic baseball teams in the country.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

oBIgzrL.png

Did somebody mention "Condors"?!? Here's where I go WAY off topic. I'd like to see an Anaheim NBA relocation. I know, already 2 teams in the area that'd probably have to be indemnified, along with a relocation fee. Today's 6/9 LA Times briefly noted the Ducks' owner is supposedly interested in buying the Jailblazers. Here's the Condors connection, in my addled mind: when the Ducks announced they'd drop "Mighty", they said they considered new names. Two examples mentioned were "Bears" and "Condors". I think "Anaheim Condors" would be a SWEET NBA team name. Along with Ducks, two "fowl" Anaheim pro team names, all pun intended. :rolleyes: Gwen Stefani courtside @ Anaheim Condors NBA games?!? Fahgeddaboutit!!

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Pittsburgh broadcasts Cleveland Cavaliers games on local TV.

Cleveland would never broadcast Pens games.

doesn't Cleveland Broadcast the Blue Jackets sometimes?

FSN Ohio carries all the televised Blue Jackets games locally. However, there are split feeds for each of the Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati markets. Usually if the Blue Jackets are the only team playing on FSN Ohio on a certain night, then the whole state gets the games, but if the Cavs and Blue Jackets are both playing on FSN Ohio that particular night, one game goes on the main channel, while the other goes on an alternate channel. Of course, because of territorial broadcast rules, Reds are not shown in the Cleveland area, and the Indians games (no longer on FSN Ohio) are not available in the Cincinnati area...unless you had MLB Extra Innings.

Pittsburgh is overextended with 3 pro teams as it is. The reason they don't have an NBA team is that they shouldn't. Maybe if the Pirates left, they could support the Pens and a basketball team, but since they have a new park, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Pittsburgh is overextended with 3 pro teams as it is. The reason they don't have an NBA team is that they shouldn't. Maybe if the Pirates left, they could support the Pens and a basketball team, but since they have a new park, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Here I read through this whole thread only to have WiB steal my point. Thanks man ;)

But it's the only point worth making. No league sees Pittsburgh as a viable expansion market. Not only are the Penguins' failures well documented, but the city has shown little ability to draw much interest in the Pirates. Hell, I'm going to two games this week but only because the Twins are in town.

Pittsburgh is a Steelers town. For a while it was a Pirates town, too, but several decades of mediocrity will suck the interest out of any casual fan.

I think the only league to consider expanding to Pittsburgh in recent years was the XFL, and look how well that turned out.

Archived