World Cup

Natsfan36

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My boss and I just went to a sports bar for lunch to watch the second half. With multiple projection TV's showing 5 or 6 different sporting events, I was plesantly surprized at how many were watching the World Cup based on the reactions to goals and close plays.

It's going to be an expensive month if I do that every day...

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I caught that last German goal (name escapes me - I'm at work), what a GOAL! I wish I could've watched the whole game, but alas, work calls, and thus it helps feed my addiction to the World Cup (just bought US Soccer hat, jersey, and track jacket) :D

HOWEVER - come Monday, I will be taking an extended lunch to watch the the US-Czech Republic game.

i would love to watch them all.....i watched todays, but i will be leaving on a mission trip tonite to mexico for a week.....im taping the US game, i wish i could tape them all....

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

I finished school back in April, and i decided not to get a summer job, primarily because the world cup was on. Planning on watching all 64 matches in HD!!! So happy to see international soccer, especially after the heartbreak of the champs league final...

off topic....but hopefully Djibrill Cisse will recover well, and be back to his speedy form.

The Germany/Costa Rica game was great! Very entertaining, and great goals by both sides, although one could argue that Wanchope was offside on either of his goals.

Ecuador/Poland was a great game too, was expecting more from Poland today.

Just finished watching game off my tivo.Offensively the Germans were a machine.Phillip Lahms goal was amazing.But they had better tighten up defensively,if Paulo Wanchope can do what he did to them,what are the likes of Ronaldinho and Rooney gonna do to them.

I work for a German owned company,so we were tryin to lobby them to give us the day off,to watch the game,like they were doing in Germany....didnt work though :cursing:

Kings Cross AFC -BIP, Winnipeg Falcons - TNFF, St. Louis Archers - MLF

It was a great game with Germany.  It was funny since I was watching the Spanish channel, ESPN 2 was so boring.  The play by play was dull and mono-tone, but the Univision play by play, even though I don't know a single word of Spanish was ten times better.  Also the player in BCBoy's sig, Bastian Schweinsteiger, any time the Univision announcer said his name it was the most funnist thing I heard.  A Mexican trying to pronounce German, quite funny.

Haha, that's partly the reason why I made a sig for him. Every time I heard his name on our broadcast (Sportsnet) I would laugh and immitate how he said it. (It was pronounced correctly, just that with his British accent, it sounded Über-funny! :D

I am usually a Germany fan (during Olympics and such.) but after reading about the German fans I really gotta say I hope they go down and go down hard. Some of the stuff they are doing are incredibly classless and wrong.

That being said, I realize that has nothing to do with the team it self or the players, but I just can't get over the fact of German fans holding up Nazi flags throwing batteries at their opponents.

Great games today though. Germany does look good, but as stated above, they really need to re-think their defensive strategy. If they keep the defensemen up like that all cup they are going to get burned.

Poland also looked very flat and looks to be overrated.

PopHeading-1.gif

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO HAVE DONE IT! The largest odds to against them (1:1000) versus Sweden and they get their first world cup point. EVER.

The scene is just mind-blowing, Sweden fans sitting in their seats in awe while the T&T fans are going nuts!

Yeah, I've never seen people go straight bonkers over a draw. That game was amazing, they sub in their GK in the exact last minute, and he shuts out Sweden. A-frickin-mazing. They are going nuts in T&T, but you can bet someone's gonna lose their job in Sweden.

Torsten Frings' goal was a missile, but the one that juuuuuust went too high in the fifth or sixth minute was even more of a bomb.

I'm dsiappointed with England's play this morning. they looked lively for the first fifteen to twenty minutes, but had about as poor of finishing as Sweden did. At least the Swedes kept on hammering in with their attacks, it's more than I can say about England. Sweden almost looked to be playing a 3-2-5 by the end of that game, lol.

Argentina - Ivory Coast is on now, and somehow I'm expecting the commentators to suck hard. they referred to Riquelme as "the quarterback." uggh, this is going to be a long tournament...

harperdc.gif

Well hot damn, this ARG-IVC game is pretty damn exciting so far, and it's just been the first 15 minutes. Already some controversy, I'll let everyone else figure it out.

Well hot damn, this ARG-IVC game is pretty damn exciting so far, and it's just been the first 15 minutes. Already some controversy, I'll let everyone else figure it out.

Payback for the Hand of God! ^_^

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Payback for the Hand of God! ^_^

lol, I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. The first thing I thought when that happened was "Diego Maradona should appreciate that." :P

That save by the Ivory Coast goalie is one the best moments so far in the early days of the tourny. That and Frings' rocket that was shot from one end of Berlin to the other end. :P

Speaking of that goalie, Argentina just scored and takes a 1-0 lead against the Ivory Coast. The way Ivory Coast is playing, the Argentinians didn't want to see a repeat of 1990's nightmare against Cameroon.

Archived