World Cup

Natsfan36

Well the call was questionable, but as Craig Forrest said on Sportsnet, you had to call it, Neill was blocking the path of the player, the referee would have gotten much more critisim had he not called that a penalty.

Yea, why would Neill even go to his feet. He should know that a slide tackle in the box is a penalty kick, why take the risk. It was a questionable call, but Italy was eliminated on a horrible call in 2002. Plus Australia got to play a man up for the final 40 minutes (on a bad red card call).

What's with all the hate for Italy on these board? I haven't noticed where they are "flopping" any more than most other teams. Is it because of the gambling scandal?

That reminds me....

Oh and....

BRASIL ALL THE WAY!!!!

:cursing::cursing::cursing:

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the call was questionable, but as Craig Forrest said on Sportsnet, you had to call it, Neill was blocking the path of the player, the referee would have gotten much more critisim had he not called that a penalty.

Yea, why would Neill even go to his feet. He should know that a slide tackle in the box is a penalty kick, why take the risk. It was a questionable call, but Italy was eliminated on a horrible call in 2002. Plus Australia got to play a man up for the final 40 minutes (on a bad red card call).

What's with all the hate for Italy on these board? I haven't noticed where they are "flopping" any more than most other teams. Is it because of the gambling scandal?

That reminds me....

Oh and....

BRASIL ALL THE WAY!!!!

No, it's just because Totti LITERALLY flopped on his way down. Even Marcello Balboa applauded Totti for creating the penalty kick by diving. I thought if you dove, that would mean a foul the other way, but apparently not. I heard about Italy flopping, but now that I've seen it for myself in 2 games (US, and this one.), they are indeed the most famous divers I have ever seen. The weird thing is, Australia got hacked all over the place in the box, and yet "Play On" was called. Australia got robbed, IMO.

That reminds me....

Oh and....

BRASIL ALL THE WAY!!!!

No, it's just because Totti LITERALLY flopped on his way down. Even Marcello Balboa applauded Totti for creating the penalty kick by diving. I thought if you dove, that would mean a foul the other way, but apparently not. I heard about Italy flopping, but now that I've seen it for myself in 2 games (US, and this one.), they are indeed the most famous divers I have ever seen. The weird thing is, Australia got hacked all over the place in the box, and yet "Play On" was called. Australia got robbed, IMO.

Just a brutal call...it's a call that would probably get made anyway in this World Cup , but the timing of it was just awful. And yes, the card the Italian player got was as much of a joke as a few of the other reds handed out in this tournament.

In contrast, even though the Ukraine/Switzerland game was about as thrilling as watching paint dry (can't blame the Swiss for playing the footy equivalent of the Four Corners...I'd want to keep Shevchenko from getting the ball too), the ref (who's from Mexico) did a pretty solid job...only 1 yellow card in that game...and it was a good call.

Getting back to the Azzuri....

Italy's pretty lucky to be as far as they are now....Outside of beating down an undermanned and demoralized Czech Republic in the final match of group play, they haven't impressed me that much at ALL during this tourney (especially in the game with the US...10 v. 9 for pretty much the 2nd half and all they could manage was a tie? What a joke!)

They might get past Ukraine in the Quarters, but the ride ends in the Semis...seeing I think either Germany or Argentina would eat them for lunch...and don't count on a 3rd place finish for em either, seeing they'll probably get either England, Portugal, or Brazil in Munich for that match....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

That reminds me....

Oh and....

BRASIL ALL THE WAY!!!!

You should see what it's like down here.

Soccer is trying to gain a foothold in this country, and when players behave in a way we consider tantamount to cheating, and win games because of it, the game is what will suffer.

We got stiffed by refs again. That's not to say the ref was biased.

He was simply incompetent, not a cheat, like the guy who ref'd the Brazil game.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

At first glance, it looks like a foul. Late into stoppage time, Austrailia making one last ditch effort to prevent Italy from scoring in regulation...the circumstances and the first glance of the foul...looks like a legit call. The refs don't get instant replay like the TV viewers got. I can't really blame the ref for the outcome of this game. Just tough luck for the Aussies....

WE WERE ROBBED

I could see that that was not a foul, it was nothing more than what happens in just about every game, very fair and clean tackle, even at first glance, nothign but fair and we have been unfairly treated this torunament, and so have many other teams

The ref made the worst call, we were prepared for extra time and that is why we made only one sub, but Lucas Neill made one of the best tackles and got punished very unfairly

Also those goals looked bigger than in Sydney

But i think we should have won, we were the better team on the day, no doubt about it.

I want Hiddink back.

Also, before i was alluding to the fact that ref's have been really poor, i don't like how FIFA told ref's to protect the stars. Don't like that.

This is the one sport we are not world champions at, but come 2018 at the MCG, we will hold the World Cup Trophy aloft. GO SOCCEROOS!

WE WERE ROBBED. That is all.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

I think it is rotten how Australia lost the game these refs in this World Cup are not making me like Soccer, its a joke, players diving and red and yellow cards coming up for minor hits, they really need to back off and loosen up the rules a biot allow more offsides open the game up and allow some more physical play.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Unfortunately we have two dirty, pansy teams still sitting in the tournament. I'm hoping the Ukraine and England will take care of that little problem.

My bets to win it all at this point? In order of best to worst (IMO) Argentina, Brazil, Germany, England, Spain, Italy, Ghana, Portugal, Ukraine, France. I would love England to make it but if they can't, the three above them would be just as well. If anyone I've listed below them make it...I might just go apesh-.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

2 Refs get sent home

But this shocked the hell out of me...

German referee Markus Merk, who was criticized for being too whistle happy in a first-round match between defending champion Brazil and Australia, was one of six European referees retained.

Luis Medina, who awarded a debatable penalty kick to Italy in the last seconds of its 1-0 second-round match against Australia, also made the list and will officiate Brazil's quarterfinal against France.

Other Europeans selected included Michel Lubos of Slovakia, Roberto Rosetti of Italy, Frank de Bleeckere of Belgium and Massimo Busacca of Switzerland.

Horacio Elizondo, the Argentine referee who handled the tournament's opening match between Germany and Costa Rica, was among six non-Europeans selected and will continue his tournament with England's quarterfinal against Portugal in Gelsenkirchen.

The others were Toru Kamikawa of Japan, Benito Archundia of Mexico, Jorge Larrionda of Uruguay(!!!), Mark Shield of Australia and Coffi Codjia - a tax inspector from Benin in Africa.

YES! WHAT A GAME! First, the Klose goal which shocked the whole team, and then the amazing preformance in the shootout, Lehmann came up huge too!

DEUTSCHLAND!

DEUTSCHLAND!

DEUTSCHLAND!

Archived