World Cup

Natsfan36

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They've GOT to find a better solution than deciding these games on penalty kicks.

What do you suggest? a coin flip?

Simple. Keep playing.

The game is meant to be played 11-on-11. It should be decided 11-on-11.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

How the referee helped alots to Germany...

Well... always one must take care of the "investment".

Argentina had alots of eggs fighting against a wealthy public, 11 German players and the referee. So Argentina, an impoverished country, not having any money to buy a championship, had to play it.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

They've GOT to find a better solution than deciding these games on penalty kicks.

Simple. Keep playing.

It doesn't make sense. The teams allready play for 90 minutes plus an extra 30 for extra time. They can't play much longer then that. You also have to remember that there are only 3 subs allowed per team each game, and usually these are made in the first 90 minutes.

1zqy8ok.gif

Simple. Keep playing.

It doesn't make sense. The teams allready play for 90 minutes plus an extra 30 for extra time. They can't play much longer then that. You also have to remember that there are only 3 subs allowed per team each game, and usually these are made in the first 90 minutes.

I get that. Under those parameters, you can't keep playing.

I can never reconcile a winner in something as big as this when you decide the winner with something other than the play of the normal game.

We've all seen how much more tension-filled those Stanley Cup Playoffs games are that get to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., overtime.

How the referee helped alots to Germany...

Well... always one must take care of the "investment".

Argentina had alots of eggs fighting against a wealthy public, 11 German players and the referee. So Argentina, an impoverished country, not having any money to buy a championship, had to play it.

Well yeah, the refereeing was once again bad, you could tell on one play when Ballack went down, he was clutching his forehead.

What's wrong with that picture you ask? He was hit in the shoulder

Though I was rooting for Germany to win, they've REALLY gotta do something about this rampant acting/diving/flopping.

Nice.

No, but there are better alternatives than penalties. Maybe add a couple of subs in the OT period to give some fresh legs to both tired sides. I'd also bring back the Golden Goal.

I also kind of like Michael Davies suggestions from his espn blog (as long as it is assumed they all apply AFTER 30 minutes of OT, which I'm sure it is)...

And the solution? In the knockout rounds the tie should be broken by goal difference in all games played up to that point. If that's tied, the team with the most goals scored wins. If that's tied, it should be based on qualifying, just as it is to decide ties during the group stage. That way, both sides know where they stand going into a match. You never get two teams playing for a draw.

Davies espn blog

Well we have one semifinal set as Italy faces Germany after the Italians smoked Ukraine 3-0.

Why do I have the feeling that Italy-Germany will be a total flop fest?

I have to say I've really enjoyed the World Cup, except I have just one issue. South America has won 9 titles (Brazil 5, Argentina 2, Uruguay 2) and Europe has won 8 (England 1, Germany 3, Italy 3, France 1). North America, Asia, Africa, and Oceania have a combined total of ZERO!

North America has made one semi-final appearance ever (USA 1930), Asia's best show was fourth place in 2002, African nations have made the quarterfinals twice in '90 and '02, and Australia had the best showing for an Oceania team ever this year.

There is no parody. I'm forced to root for Portugal because they're the only team left alive that has never won before. It also appears that whoever the host nation is, outside of the 1994 in USA, their team makes the finals or wins. That's very odd. However I don't see South Africa pulling that off next World Cup.

Also there was no World Cup played in the 40's...but I'm gonna bet the farm that had something to do with World War II. See that's what the USA is good at. We're not good at the World Cup but we'll beat you at the World War. Okay dumb joke. Anyways, that's my rant. Feel free to say what you will about it, and for now...let's go Portugal!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

There is no parody.

that's parity, son. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

There is no parody.

that's parity, son. :)

Whoops my bad. Parody = making fun of Parity = equality. Better remember that for future exams. :wacko:

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

It also appears that whoever the host nation is, outside of the 1994 in USA, their team makes the finals or wins. That's very odd. However I don't see South Africa pulling that off next World Cup.

Hosts generally do much better than they would if they didn't host. Actually, no host has ever not gotten passed the first round. The USA in 94 was expected to be the first, but they got through. I'm sure alot of people expect South Africa to crash out early, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do get through to the second round of quarters. Home field advantage is arguably bigger in soccer than it is in any other sport. I don't have the exact statistics, but I think the winning percentage for the home team is much higher. That is also why soccer has the away goals rule.

It also appears that whoever the host nation is, outside of the 1994 in USA, their team makes the finals or wins.  That's very odd.  However I don't see South Africa pulling that off next World Cup.

Hosts generally do much better than they would if they didn't host. Actually, no host has ever not gotten passed the first round. The USA in 94 was expected to be the first, but they got through. I'm sure alot of people expect South Africa to crash out early, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do get through to the second round of quarters. Home field advantage is arguably bigger in soccer than it is in any other sport. I don't have the exact statistics, but I think the winning percentage for the home team is much higher. That is also why soccer has the away goals rule.

What's the away goals rule?

spacer.png

Hosts generally do much better than they would if they didn't host. Actually, no host has ever not gotten passed the first round. The USA in 94 was expected to be the first, but they got through. I'm sure alot of people expect South Africa to crash out early, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do get through to the second round of quarters.

Yeah, FIFA will help the Bafana Bafana making them a very easy group. ;)

Did you notice that FIFA always helped hosting countries through each World Cup? There rarely is fair play. ;)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I'm pretty sure Argentina lost today because they were wearing black shorts with navy blue shirts, thus being the worst dressed team ever by default.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Of course having your player tackled from behind in the penalty box and then given a yellow card, I guess because he didn't get out of the way of the Germans foot, doesn't really help either.

I rooted for Germany up until halftime. Throughout the 2nd half I saw so many obvious dives by Germans (all called against Argentina) that I actually because physically ill. When Maxi was tackled and then yellow carded for allowing himself to get fouled instead of being given the penalty kick, I just about lost it.

Sure helped the Germans having a European ref in the match. Could they not find a competent Asian ref?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

What's the away goals rule?

It happens in soccer playoffs where you have a home-and-home setup and the winner is determined by aggregate score.

If Team A wins at home 2-1 and Team B wins at home 1-0, the aggregate is 2-2 but Team B is declared the winner for having scored that one road goal.

wow....the england vs. portugal game was intense.......ricardo (portugals goalie) had a hand on every PK....and seeing ronaldo put the ball away at the end.....crazy....

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

wow....the england vs. portugal game was intense.......ricardo (portugals goalie) had a hand on every PK....and seeing ronaldo put the ball away at the end.....crazy....

I have developed an extreme dislike for Cristiano Ronaldo. Words can't describe ...

Archived