World Cup

Natsfan36

I know us Italians dive, but the Germans did a few too if you watched the game.

Of course every team dives, no body will argue that fact, but the fact is the Italian are the most infamous. They go down before the contact is even initiated.

They go down before the contact is even initiated? Are you sure you're not referring to the French? :P

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They go down before the contact is even initiated? Are you sure you're not referring to the French? :P

Well, to be fair, out of the 23 players on the French National Team, only 5 are of pure French descent. The rest are either immigrants, or children of immigrants from Martinique, Guadaloupe, Algeria, Cameroon, Argentina, Senegal, and Mauritius.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Adieu Allemagne!!!

Marchons, marchons à Berlin comme 1945!

Allez les Bleus!!!

March to Berlin like in 1945? Only the Soviets could claim to do that and be accurate...

Yeah, I was thinking about that. To compare foreign affairs back then to current sports, the French were like the Hawks: They couldn't buy a win.

Then why did you accept the French as Allied in equal right back in '45?

The Soviets entered Berlin in '45 but few days after, the Brits, the Yanks and the Frenchmen entered in that city to secure their territorial shares.

About "buying a win", it would be ashaming to call "buying a win" to the expensive Allied victory in the WWI where the French lost so many lifes.

If you can't get rid of the awful war in Irak, it's not fault of the French. Blame it to the Islamic fanatism, Bush and the '80s financing Saddam and Osama.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Well, to be fair, out of the 23 players on the French National Team, only 5 are of pure French descent. The rest are either immigrants, or children of immigrants from Martinique, Guadaloupe, Algeria, Cameroon, Argentina, Senegal, and Mauritius.

Martinique and Guadeloupe are French territory (they are departments like the ones in the mainland), not foreign countries like the others you quoted.

The "Argentinean" one you cited is Trezeguet. He was born in France, his parents were born in Argentina but their parents (Trezeguet's grandparents) were French. So the guy is French with French blood.

pennants.png

Adieu Allemagne!!!

Marchons, marchons à Berlin comme 1945!

Allez les Bleus!!!

March to Berlin like in 1945? Only the Soviets could claim to do that and be accurate...

Yeah, I was thinking about that. To compare foreign affairs back then to current sports, the French were like the Hawks: They couldn't buy a win.

Then why did you accept the French as Allied in equal right back in '45?

The Soviets entered Berlin in '45 but few days after, the Brits, the Yanks and the Frenchmen entered in that city to secure their territorial shares.

About "buying a win", it would be ashaming to call "buying a win" to the expensive Allied victory in the WWI where the French lost so many lifes.

If you can't get rid of the awful war in Irak, it's not fault of the French. Blame it to the Islamic fanatism, Bush and the '80s financing Saddam and Osama.

Guess I should've put the smiley face in there to say I was joking :P

But yeah, good points. I would love to get into a historical debate, but this really isn't the time...ITS WORLD CUP BONANZA TIME!!! SEMIFINALS BABY, WOO.

With that being said, go France, because they don't dive nearly as much as the Portuguese or the Italians.

Martinique and Guadeloupe are French territory (they are departments like the ones in the mainland), not foreign countries like the others you quoted.

The "Argentinean" one you cited is Trezeguet. He was born in France, his parents were born in Argentina but their parents (Trezeguet's grandparents) were French. So the guy is French with French blood.

I'm fully aware of that. Perhaps I should have said "Metropolitan France" to appease you? Regardless, the point stands, as only 5-6 (Depending on how you classify Trezuguet) of the 23 man roster is of pure Metropolitan descent. Geez, you try to help the Boneys out and they still get antsy. ;)

As for your original response, the Western Allies only entered Berlin after the Soviets secured it to establish their occupation zones, as per the agreement at the Yalta Conference earlier in 1945. The closest the Western Allies got to Berlin before V-E Day was when they linked up with Soviet units at Torgau on the Elbe River.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

I'm fully aware of that. Perhaps I should have said "Metropolitan France" to appease you? Regardless, the point stands, as only 5-6 (Depending on how you classify Trezuguet) of the 23 man roster is of pure Metropolitan descent. Geez, you try to help the Boneys out and they still get antsy. ;)

As for your original response, the Western Allies only entered Berlin after the Soviets secured it to establish their occupation zones, as per the agreement at the Yalta Conference earlier in 1945. The closest the Western Allies got to Berlin before V-E Day was when they linked up with Soviet units at Torgau on the Elbe River.

Only 3 of the French players were born outside of France, and the latest anyone of them came to France was the age of 14. And what do you mean pure metropolitan descent? The US team is made up of all non-natives, same with Brazil, Australia too, I could go on and on.

1zqy8ok.gif

italy's full of nothing but cheats and divers. i hope they lose.

Would you like some cheese with that whine? :P

Call them what you want?the fact is, Italy has not been scored upon this World Cup. The US goal was an own goal, an accidental one at that which was misdirected off the side of the defender's foot.

In reality, I say the score of today's game was 1-0, because the Germans kind of gave up after the first goal and let del Piero past them to score at the end.

The first goal was beautiful. It wasn't due to a German mistake, is was just skill by the Azzurri.

There was plenty of diving in the game on both sides. All the referee did was tell them to get up and play on. The only yellow cards were obvious tackles from behind. Can't argue with them.

Viva Italia!

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Only 3 of the French players were born outside of France, and the latest anyone of them came to France was the age of 14.  And what do you mean pure metropolitan descent?  The US team is made up of all non-natives, same with Brazil, Australia too, I could go on and on.

The point I was making (In support of the French National Team, geez!) is that the quip about the French surrendering (one which I admittedly freely partake in, though I tend to steer clear of the opossum job in May 1940, as that's too easy. Vittoria anyone? ;)) can't be labeled on this edition of les bleus, as the maximum of 5 players' ancestors would have been in France in 1940. Like the American and Australian sides, they have several recognizable immigrant players, which there is nothing wrong with, for the record.

Also, Metropolitan France refers to European France, which consists of France proper (referred to as Continental France) and Corsica. Because of the unique way in which France treats her dependancies, on a level equal to, or near-equal to her continental departments, the term Metropolitan France is used like how Americans refer to the contiguous states as the "Lower 48."

There was plenty of diving in the game on both sides. All the referee did was tell them to get up and play on. The only yellow cards were obvious tackles from behind. Can't argue with them.

Diving is very annoying, but every team does it. For some reason the Italians seemed to be blamed as the worst divers, but I don't see how they are any worse than any other team. I saw Ronaldo dive in the box during the French game trying to draw a penalty kick. Nobody even touched him, he just tripped himself trying to get the penalty. Ballack elbowed someone in the face today, then grabbed his head (which was never touched) in pain. Every team has done it. And I don't blame them, until the refs stop calling it why not dive?

anyone else who watched it on ESPN notice how biased the commentators were.....they complimented Germany on EVERYTHING and criticized the Italians or didnt show one compliment to them. Hm. so much for calling it down the middle. Oh well......thats why i watched the spanish channel :D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Only 3 of the French players were born outside of France, and the latest anyone of them came to France was the age of 14.  And what do you mean pure metropolitan descent?  The US team is made up of all non-natives, same with Brazil, Australia too, I could go on and on.

for the record aside from Carlos Bocanegra who I have seen refrenced to as being born in both California and Mexico, the only other American on the Mens National Team born abroad is Pablo Mastroeni, who moved from Argentina to the States when he was 4 years old.

I honestly cant speak on behalf of Brazil and Australia, but I would have to say that it is a bit of an embellishment to claim the American side is comprised of all non-natives

UWMpanthers.gifgold_14.gif

for the record aside from Carlos Bocanegra who I have seen refrenced to as being born in both California and Mexico, the only other American on the Mens National Team born abroad is Pablo Mastroeni, who moved from Argentina to the States when he was 4 years old.

I honestly cant speak on behalf of Brazil and Australia, but I would have to say that it is a bit of an embellishment to claim the American side is comprised of all non-natives

I want to say that the only foreign-born Socceroo is Ante Covic, but I think even he is Australian-born to Croatian parents, like quite a number of the Australian national side (Schwarzer [Germany] and Sterjovski [FYROM] are the exception to this first generation stuff.). Brazil is all Brazilian by quite a margin. As for the Japanese, Alex can be a Japanese citizen all he wants, but we all know better... B)

Yeah, I was going to ask what the exact qualifications were to play for a certain country. Alot of the French players were born in other countries but moved to France when they were young. Camornesi of Italy was born in Argentina (he admited he doesn't sing the national anthem before the games because he doesn't know the words), but he parents were from Italy (or of Italian descent). Now Klose and Poldoski (sp?) of Germany were born and raised in Poland (I got all my information from Wikipedia so it might not be accurate). So can anybody play for almost any country they want to as long as they become a citizen? I did hear about ringers before the cup started (I don't remember who exactly they mentioned).

Yeah, I was going to ask what the exact qualifications were to play for a certain country. Alot of the French players were born in other countries but moved to France when they were young. Camornesi of Italy was born in Argentina (he admited he doesn't sing the national anthem before the games because he doesn't know the words), but he parents were from Italy (or of Italian descent). Now Klose and Poldoski (sp?) of Germany were born and raised in Poland (I got all my information from Wikipedia so it might not be accurate). So can anybody play for almost any country they want to as long as they become a citizen? I did hear about ringers before the cup started (I don't remember who exactly they mentioned).

I know you have to declare who you play for by the time you are 21, and you are locked in as soon as you make a first team appearance (which was why we played Adu for a few minutes in a friendly, so he couldn't play for Ghana). You don't have to be a citizen. I know you have to either be born in the country, or you have to have some type of residency, or you can play for the country in which your parents were born. India is trying to build their team using PIOs (person of Indian origin), so they are trying to get Indians from different parts of the world (like Michael Chopra of England). You can technically get a PIO card if you are a fourth generation Indian or less. Actually, my grandkids would be able to play for India, even though their relatives would be 75 years removed from actually living in India. If I played international soccer, I would be able to play for the US, England, or India (Mom was born in England).

Only 3 of the French players were born outside of France, and the latest anyone of them came to France was the age of 14. And what do you mean pure metropolitan descent? The US team is made up of all non-natives, same with Brazil, Australia too, I could go on and on.

Brazil and Australia are states founded by sons of immigrants, not natives like the original aboriginals. Same thing with the USA.

Trezeguet is a French born with French blood.

Wikipedia FR

pennants.png

one day Freddy Adu will be playing for the US Team and he was not born here either.

Freddy Adu has said he's seriously considering playing for Ghana rather then the USofA.

He can't, as he has already played for the US in a World Cup qualifying match. Muahaha ;)

anyway....france beat portugal.....1-0.......i liked at the end when ricardo went up for portugal for the corner kicks.....very intense for the last couple of minutes...

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

Archived