World Cup

Natsfan36

one day Freddy Adu will be playing for the US Team and he was not born here either.

Freddy Adu has said he's seriously considering playing for Ghana rather then the USofA.

He can't, as he has already played for the US in a World Cup qualifying match. Muahaha ;)

On Sportsnet they said he could still opt toplay of Ghana, seeing as he never played a second for the US in the World Cup Finals.

Right, I remember him saying on PTI that he would play for the US or Ghana. I do think that Ghana is on the rise in terms of international soccer, and how they made it to the round of 16, unlike the US. So maybe Freddy would be more inclined to play for Ghana since they had a better World Cup than the US.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one day Freddy Adu will be playing for the US Team and he was not born here either.

Freddy Adu has said he's seriously considering playing for Ghana rather then the USofA.

He can't, as he has already played for the US in a World Cup qualifying match. Muahaha ;)

Man, FIFA changed the rules (again!). If you when young played for a country in teams sub 15, sub 17 or sub 20 but never the top national team and later the other country invites you for its top national team, you can accept to play for it.

If Abu had played for USA sub 17 and later would play for Ghana's major national team, he can do it. But... he can't back to any USA team.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

anyway....france beat portugal.....1-0.......i liked at the end when ricardo went up for portugal for the corner kicks.....very intense for the last couple of minutes...

yeag, they only won by a goal kick. real intense matchup. but the Italy vs. France one is one im looking foward to see. it should be real good

Lets go Soul to arenabowl21!!!!!!!!!!

Philadelphia Eagles all the way!!!!!!!

GO PHILLS!!!!!!!!!

untitled7.jpg

untitled4.jpg

Only 3 of the French players were born outside of France, and the latest anyone of them came to France was the age of 14.  And what do you mean pure metropolitan descent?  The US team is made up of all non-natives, same with Brazil, Australia too, I could go on and on.

Brazil and Australia are states founded by sons of immigrants, not natives like the original aboriginals. Same thing with the USA.

Thats rediculous, I see where you were going with that

But by that logic I, along with a majority of America could then each play for a handfull of European teams

If your born within the geographical boundaries of a nation, you are a full-fledge citizen of that country. No loop holes or anything. :rolleyes:

ANYWAY BACK TO THE ACTUAL SOCCER TALK

UWMpanthers.gifgold_14.gif

On Sportsnet they said he could still opt toplay of Ghana, seeing as he never played a second for the US in the World Cup Finals.

Right, I remember him saying on PTI that he would play for the US or Ghana. I do think that Ghana is on the rise in terms of international soccer, and how they made it to the round of 16, unlike the US. So maybe Freddy would be more inclined to play for Ghana since they had a better World Cup than the US.

Well, there's something else to it as well...

Adu & Bruce Arena didn't see eye to eye on a bunch of things, which kinda brought the whole "I could play for Ghana" thing into play.

However, seeing Arena's probably on his way out, I think there's a chance Adu will be playin for the US in 2010...

Besides, he's only 17 for cripes sake...very very very rare to see someone that young on a team (and even still, it's even rarer for them to play....how many minutes did Theo Walcott play for England in this World Cup? Thought so...)

Anyways, getting back to players being able to play for multiple nationalities, it's not that uncommon...

Examples:

--Owen Hargreaves (stalwart in England's midfield, born in Canada)

--Deco (Portuguese striker, originally from Brazil)

--Alex (Brazilian born, but naturalized Japanese citizen)

--Joao Ricardo & Figureido (Portuguese citizens, but both chose to play for the place they were born...Angola (as in they were born there when it was still a colony of Portugal, but left after indepenence in 1975).)

--Miro Klose & Lukas Podolski (German stars, but both born in Poland)

Heck, a good chunk of Australia's roster could have played for Croatia and vice versa.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

anyway....france beat portugal.....1-0.......i liked at the end when ricardo went up for portugal for the corner kicks.....very intense for the last couple of minutes...

yeag, they only won by a goal kick. real intense matchup. but the Italy vs. France one is one im looking foward to see. it should be real good

Wow what an achievement! I watched the game and didn't see it. Wow Barthez has quite a foot.

Just givin' you a hard time. I know what you meant. :P

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Man, FIFA changed the rules (again!). If you when young played for a country in teams sub 15, sub 17 or sub 20 but never the top national team and later the other country invites you for its top national team, you can accept to play for it.

If Abu had played for USA sub 17 and later would play for Ghana's major national team, he can do it. But... he can't back to any USA team.

...which differs from the IIHF completely. Generally, as soon as you're on a national roster, you're stuck with that country unless you do some real negotiating, like Evgeny Nabokov, who was finally allowed to play for Russia after he played for Kazhakstan in a single U-18 tourney. All of these federations need to get onboard for a single standard. It hurts the mind. :)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Just a response to your comment about Ghana being on the rise; I think all African natioins are making huge strides in soccer. There were no blowouts this year (unless you count Serbia-Montenegro being beat 6-0 by the Argentines) and all teams were competitive. Even Togo with all the fiasco around their money issues lost by no more than 2 (against the now finalists France). We all know what Ghana did eliminating the States and the very good Czech team.

Ghana, Ivory Coast (very nice win in their last game) and Senegal (a team not even in this tourney) all have (I believe) real shots at competiting in 2010.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that an African nation will be in the Finals in South Africa during the first ever World Cup held on the African continent!

PS Go Italy!

SignatureNHL.png

"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"

I'll tell you what. You could be right (though that would be one heck of a cinderella story) but unless South Africa's national team improves like 5000% I don't see it being them. Egypt, Cameroon, Ghana...perhaps. SA? No way.

BTW...what's this I hear about Shakka Hislop signing with FC Dallas? Moving from the EPL to the MLS?! What's next? Dean Ashton signing with Columbus?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

anyone else who watched it on ESPN notice how biased the commentators were.....they complimented Germany on EVERYTHING and criticized the Italians or didnt show one compliment to them. Hm. so much for calling it down the middle. Oh well......thats why i watched the spanish channel :D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

i noticed that and at the end the announcers looked pissed that Germany lost. Well Sucks for them ITALIA

And played for Wales at under 17 level

The Right will always be wrong,

Conservatives-Dragging the world kicking and screaming into the 19th century.

BTW...what's this I hear about Shakka Hislop signing with FC Dallas? Moving from the EPL to the MLS?! What's next? Dean Ashton signing with Columbus?

Dean Ashton's a whiny bitch. He doesn't deserve to wear any sort of yellow. :P

But, yeah, that seems odd, moving from West Ham to FC Dallas. I didn't think the Hoops were particularly desperate for keepers, not in the Columbus sense at least.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Anyways, getting back to players being able to play for multiple nationalities, it's not that uncommon...

Examples:

--Deco (Portuguese striker, originally from Brazil)

--Alex (Brazilian born, but naturalized Japanese citizen)

--Joao Ricardo & Figureido (Portuguese citizens, but both chose to play for the place they were born...Angola (as in they were born there when it was still a colony of Portugal, but left after indepenence in 1975).)

--Miro Klose & Lukas Podolski (German stars, but both born in Poland)

Heck, a good chunk of Australia's roster could have played for Croatia and vice versa.

Add them to Olivier Neuville from Germany. He's a compatriot of mine, a Swiss born.

Being Neuville a Frenchspoken Swiss (like me) playing for the Germans is like a kind of treason.

Now, the World Cup final match will have 5 Argentineans! An Italian (Camoranesi, born in Argentina), a French (Trezeguet, born in France from an Argentinean father but with French grandparents), the referee and linesmen.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

i hope germany wins 5-nil over the diving portuguese and christinio "i have sand in my vagina" ronaldo today :P

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

I dont want the two faced backstabbing French to win Go Italia

s0 you'd rather have a diving team full if :censored:ing cheaters and match fixers win then, tank? wouldnt suprise me.....

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Archived