World Cup

Natsfan36

3-0 Czechs win...

haha...

so much for all the hype. i'll admit even i was sucked in. i thought i'd be closer. the czechs ABSOLUTLY DOMINATED the US. Beasley, Onjevou, Donnovan, nothing...absolutly nothing.....

GO ITALY  :D

Not like the Azzuri are gonna fare much better against the Czechs...they're probably the best side out there that's not named Brazil.....they might make the score close, but the Czechs probably leave the pitch with the 3 points.

Besides, Totti's due to do something mind numbingly stupid and basically screw the Italians chances like spit on another player (like he did in Euro 04) or get sent off in a key moment (as he did vs. the Koreans in the last World Cup) anyways, so I wouldn't get too overconfident....

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a half a day's vacation for that? Siiiiigh.

The Czech side is much better than I gave them credit for coming in. All of their players are large and mobile, and their finishing was clinical. Their three goals were counter-punches with very little buildup. Bruce Arena's choice of starting XI was a bit questionable; for example, Landon Donovan does not excel up front, especially not against a central defense as big and strong as the Czechs'.

That said, I don't think there's any need for US fans to go into panicky, end-of-the-world, catatonic shock. The US team did show that they were capable of keeping some good posession. Eddie Johnson put in a good showing. DaMarcus Beasley hustled for ninety minutes. Once Landycakes was moved back to the midfield, he played better, and was able to help push balls wide, primarily Bobby Convey.

But, yes, 3-0 is very bad. The US needed to play a lot better than that against a world-class side.

However, if you're going to "jump off the bandwagon," as it were, and point the Muntz-"ha-ha" finger at US Soccer because of this game, then you're a candy-ass poseur beeyatch. This is still our team and, damnit, I still support them.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I took a half a day's vacation for that? Siiiiigh.

The Czech side is much better than I gave them credit for coming in. All of their players are large and mobile, and their finishing was clinical. Their three goals were counter-punches with very little buildup. Bruce Arena's choice of starting XI was a bit questionable; for example, Landon Donovan does not excel up front, especially not against a central defense as big and strong as the Czechs'.

That said, I don't think there's any need for US fans to go into panicky, end-of-the-world, catatonic shock. The US team did show that they were capable of keeping some good posession. Eddie Johnson put in a good showing. DaMarcus Beasley hustled for ninety minutes. Once Landycakes was moved back to the midfield, he played better, and was able to help push balls wide, primarily Bobby Convey.

But, yes, 3-0 is very bad. The US needed to play a lot better than that against a world-class side.

However, if you're going to "jump off the bandwagon," as it were, and point the Muntz-"ha-ha" finger at US Soccer because of this game, then you're a candy-ass poseur beeyatch. This is still our team and, damnit, I still support them.

Agreed on all points...

Save the "end of the world" stuff when we get mathematically eliminated...right now, we're still alive...granted it's a tougher road to go (seeing that only 1 team has ever dropped their first game and qualified for the Round of 16 since the tourney went to 32 teams), but who knows what can happen (that 1 team that lost their first game and still managed to advance? Turkey in 2002...and they went all the way to the 3rd place game).

However, if we don't get a result vs. Italy (depending on what they do vs. Ghana), we're pretty much done.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Just got home from school, and watched the last 15 minutes of the 1st half of Italy-Ghana. Apart from the amazing goal by Pirlo, I'm already sick of the Italians. Italian soccer is what gives the sport a bad name, any minor contact and their players are down wrihing in "pain". I really hope the Black Stars get get something together, Appiah and Essien are excellent players.

1zqy8ok.gif

The US were poor and no offence it showed how rubbish the FIFA rankings are. The Czechs are a class act and will do very well in the WC. However the US now have a mountain to climb to qulaify from the group

logo.png

Save the "end of the world" stuff when we get mathematically eliminated...

Or, just can it, in my opinion. Will it be a disappointment? Yes. Is it a disaster if they don't advance? Only if they don't make a decent showing in the last two games.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I took a half a day's vacation for that?  Siiiiigh.

The Czech side is much better than I gave them credit for coming in.  All of their players are large and mobile, and their finishing was clinical.  Their three goals were counter-punches with very little buildup.  Bruce Arena's choice of starting XI was a bit questionable; for example, Landon Donovan does not excel up front, especially not against a central defense as big and strong as the Czechs'.

That said, I don't think there's any need for US fans to go into panicky, end-of-the-world, catatonic shock.  The US team did show that they were capable of keeping some good posession. Eddie Johnson put in a good showing.  DaMarcus Beasley hustled for ninety minutes.  Once Landycakes was moved back to the midfield, he played better, and was able to help push balls wide, primarily Bobby Convey.

But, yes, 3-0 is very bad.  The US needed to play a lot better than that against a world-class side.

However, if you're going to "jump off the bandwagon," as it were, and point the Muntz-"ha-ha" finger at US Soccer because of this game, then you're a candy-ass poseur beeyatch.  This is still our team and, damnit, I still support them.

Thank you Mockba.

I needed that consolation...it was rough game to watch (I took an extended lunch, and not a 1/2 day, thank God lol), but I'm not jumping ship either. The Czechs played remarkably well, and they simply outplayed us. The better team won.

That being said, I hope this is a wake up call that we have got to come out balls to the wall vs. Italy.

USA! USA! USA! :flagusa:

Look... I was born in the United States of America, so they're my team no matter how they play. Further, I'll support them every step of the way.

That said, the US team that I watched today wasn't simply beaten by a superior Czech Republic side. That I could live with. I mean, Cech, Koller, Nedved, Rosicky... they and their teammates are a phenomenally talented side. Earning a draw with them would have been an accomplishment. Beating them? That would have been a MAJOR accomplishment. In my opinion, the worst part of today's loss was the manner in which the USMNT played - and lost - the game. It wasn't simply a case of the Czechs being more talented than the Americans. Rather, the Czechs not only were more talented, but they wanted the win more. They were hungrier. Bottom line? In my opinion, we weren't properly prepared, nor did we play with any passion. We were flat... uninspired... tentative... timid. That's inexcusable.

Bruce Arena's starting line-up was poorly composed and the formation that he used played to the Czech's strength. As Mockba pointed out, Donovan doesn't excel up front. Playing him just behind McBride (in what appeared to be an amorphous 4-4-1-1... transforming to 4-5-1 at momentary points) doesn't really alleviate that problem. What's more, McBride simply wasn't going to be able to play his game in the air against the taller Czech defenders. I mean, McBride's useless unless he's being served a head-able ball into the box... and I didn't see a US player capable of providing such service on the pitch today. The US would have been better served to start Eddie Johnson over McBride. He can make something happen the ground.

Further still, DaMarcus Beasley was played out of position on the right side of the pitch. With all due respect, Mockba - I found Beasley's play to be some of the most infuriating in the game. He engaged in what I've always referred to as "fake hustle". Sure, he was racing around the field a bit more than everyone else (which, given the USMNT's complete lack of energy/urgency isn't saying much), but what did he accomplish? He was dispossessed every time he touched the ball... often with the nearest Czech player barely pressuring him. Seriously. He'd receive a pass and it would carom off of his foot directly to a Czech player. About the most positive thing that I can say - grudgingly - about Beasley is that he played a solid defensive midfielder's role after we went down 2-0 to a Czech team that became more and more content to hunker down on defense. High praise, that. :rolleyes:

Personally, the only guys that I felt showed any consistentcy whatsoever today were Johnson and Keller... maybe Reyna. Everybody else played tentatively... timidly... without purpose or passion. Johnson seemed to have a spark from the moment that he came in. Keller was victimized by defensive lapses in judgement on both goals. Reyna had his moments, including the shot-on-goal, but his style of play is not the type that is going to lift an entire team to greatness on an otherwise lackluster afternoon.

As bad as I felt Bruce Arena's pre-game preparation was (given the starting line-up), I wasn't a fan of his changes within the game either. For example: subbing in Wolff instead of Dempsey? I just don't understand that move.

So, now we prepare for Italy. What more can we do? Still, that's what really ticks me off about the way the Americans came out today. We fans are all hoping and praying that today's loss will be a "wake-up call" and that the "real US side" will show up for the Italy match. Well, why is it that we supporters are to believe that today's loss will serve as motivation for this team to play it's best soccer, when the opportunity to get off on the right foot to begin play IN THE WORLD CUP apparently wasn't enough of a motivating factor? I mean, I would think that playing in the World Cup would be motivation enough... right from the get-go. After all, if they couldn't bother to get motivated enough to play their first match of the planet's preeminent team athletic competition with a bit of fire and focus, why should we simply assume that they'll do so after falling flat on their faces this afternoon? And simply saying that they'll be trying to salvage some pride doesn't cut it with me, either. They should have had that pride the moment they put on their kits today.

Ah, well... I'm hoping - no, make that PRAYING - for the best on Saturday. Still, I can't say that today's performance left me with anything but an ache in my heart, a knot in my stomach and a sour taste in my mouth.

Boy... I can't wait to make that 16-hour flight to Munich. I'll have plenty to think about on my way over.

2496050031.jpg

And that's for bombing Darwin in 1942.

We don't carry a grudge, we just get even.

Yeaaaaahhh... he he he he!!! ;)

Go Aussies!!!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Seems to me the Americans need to find a way to beat Italy, or pack their bags.

The Czechs are too good to lose to Ghana, so that battle is over. They will finish with more points and/or goals than the US.

So really, they must beat Italy, or they have to hold them to a draw and hope for Italy to play a 0-0 draw with the Czechs and then they still have to beat Ghana 3-0 or better.

All unlikely scenarios.

It's not a pretty picture, but really, it's got to be all out attack against the Italians, or it's Auf Weidersehn Amerikanskis.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

I will start this by saying I am not a soccer fan. However when I was working in a bar this morning I saw bits of the Aussie-Japan game. Why did Japan wear blue?! How would red or white clash with yellow. Enjoy the World Cup!

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

That was a tough loss for the US. It isn't just the loss that was tough, it was the deficit 3-0. This may prove costly in a possible tie-breaker scenario. If they can beat Ghana by a large margin, and possibly hold Italy to a draw at least, then they have a shot.

It's quite group, especially at the workplace. We have an Italian, one from Ghana and one from the Czech Republic. You can imagine the verbal insults between them, especially the ones between the Italian and Ghanian.... and that's just the arguments about work...

What a great finish to the Australia-Japan Game! I taped it hoping it would be a good one and it was. This will be quite a rivalry, I think, considering Australia is now in the Asia confederation.

Line of the day is from The Times:

"In Australian Rules, a goal is a kiss on the lips, in football, it’s an orgasm."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,28...2222581,00.html

I saw, I came, I left.

I will start this by saying I am not a soccer fan. However when I was working in a bar this morning I saw bits of the Aussie-Japan game. Why did Japan wear blue?! How would red or white clash with yellow. Enjoy the World Cup!

Japan's first choice kit is blue. Their soccer team doesn't acctually wear red and white.

1zqy8ok.gif

2496050031.jpg

And that's for bombing Darwin in 1942.

We don't carry a grudge, we just get even.

The final score was not a true representation of the entire game. At first glance it looks no better than the USA-Czech game, the goalie for Japn was carrying his team for much of the game but there's only so much one person can do

Nice of them to pull out of that funk they were in for the first 84 minutes. I don't know what happened, but Japan imploded after playing the best game I've ever seen out of them, and to Austrailia's credit they jumped on the chance fast. While I won't say it was all luck, I will say the Aussies should thank their stars they had a chance for a comeback in the end. They won't have that type of fortune in later rounds, and I don't envy whoever has to play Japan next because they are eight shades of pi$$ed off they let that win slip away.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Japan's first choice kit is blue. Their soccer team doesn't acctually wear red and white.

Why? I know that the Italians, Kiwis and Aussies wear colors that are not on their national flag on all international uniforms. How ever Japan does wear red and white in other international sports, Rugby, Baseball, Olympics. That is why I was asking.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Seems to me the Americans need to find a way to beat Italy, or pack their bags.

The Czechs are too good to lose to Ghana, so that battle is over. They will finish with more points and/or goals than the US.

So really, they must beat Italy, or they have to hold them to a draw and hope for Italy to play a 0-0 draw with the Czechs and then they still have to beat Ghana 3-0 or better.

All unlikely scenarios.

It's not a pretty picture, but really, it's got to be all out attack against the Italians, or it's Auf Weidersehn Amerikanskis.

Now wait. Either we need to beat Italy... or draw them, wallop Ghana, and have the Czechs whip Italy (total margins of victory = 5). If we hold them to a draw, and they draw with Czech, their 5 beats our 4.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived