New Illinois Football Uniforms

illini1

Oh, what the crap is this? It's like staring at Virginia Fluffing Tech. And where's the orange pants, you strokes?

Pull up some pictures of the Illini from 1997-2002. There you will find a uniform to be proud of, if not always a team. When Illinois went 0-11 in 1997, at least the unis looked good. Of course, they looked even better when they were headed to the BCS. Then somebody decided to tinker, ditch the white stripes (and the tackle twill!) and made the team look bush-league. This year, with dumb side stripes, full-time monochromes, and piping up the wazoo, the Illini will suck both from a football and from an aesthetic standpoint. Grrr. For as beautiful a job as they've done with Illini basketball, Nike has completely screwed the pooch when it comes to football.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not give too many props to Nike for basketball either. Remember, the side panels on the navy jerseys are black.

Also, I'm pretty sure these uniforms do have the stripe that wraps around the back. Just look closer.

Also, if the pictures I've found of Clemson's uniforms aren't misleading, then these are quite a bit different.

Obviously the purple and navy would be reversed, but there's more than that. Clemson only has the piping that goes up to the color. They don't have a stripe or anything on the bottom of the jerseys. Their pants also don't have a stripe, just some piping. And because of this, they're able to have orange pants. Also, the piping on the dark (purple) jersey is orange, not white. Oh, and the Illini have orange numbers on white, Clemson's are purple, if the Illini followed that pattern, they'd have navy one white.

So, these seem to have come from Clemson's design, but Nike did significantly change it. Basically by merging it with all their others.

These really suck. Unfortunatley the illiniboard.com (wish the admins would have given me posting privelages...didn't do anything to not deserve them) posters by and large are responding with your typical "sweet" and "kick a**". I had hoped there might be an outcry, but so far that doesn't sound likely.

Oh well, I'll be up there next year, and you can bet I'll try my hardest to make these a one year thing.

I would prefer tradition for the Illini, but I can handle modern. But modern needs to still reflect tradtion, and these don't AT ALL. Piping's becoming overdone, but if they could have made that work with orange pants (and as long as they keep the orange helmet) they'd be a giant step in the right direction.

It was so far so good for Ron Zook, but now he's got a minor blemish that needs to be taken care of.

Yeah, I think that stripe that starts on the pants and connects to the bottom of the jersey actually wraps around the back.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

It was innovative and striking when Miami came out with it. When the Hokies put their spin on it, I liked it too.

Now it's gotten to the point where if Illinois has it now, then it's "meh."

I thought I would show you guys the new Illinois uniforms. I got these pics courtesy of Illiniboard.com . What do you guys think. I think they are fine. They look a lot like a lot of other teams though.

Spring-Game-104.jpg

Spring-Game-103.jpg

Spring-Game-102b.jpg

this is starting to get old.

The wrpaparound bib, the split-color collars, all this crazy Nike piping. I mean, for some teams it looks good--but when EVERY TEAM GOES TO THIS, it becomes monotonous. (ALERT: OREGON AND MIAMI TO HAVE NEW UNIS SOON WITH REFLECTIVE PIPING AND GRADIENT #S. :wacko: Hey it could happen...)

Illinois is a traditional school. This futuristic design does not fit the image one sees when looking at the Chief Illiniwek logo. (the same can be said for the O-State Cowboys--that design don't work for them either. They're COWBOYS, not Falcons.)

Oh well. Corporate giant strikes again...

Who's next to get their unis ruined by Nike? I actually believe the UF Gators will be, like I'll care--I'n a NOLE. And oh btw, if Nike even thinks of gettintheir paws next to my beloved Seminoles' unis, somebody dying that day! :mad:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Schools can sure say no. Look at Michigan. If Nike doesn't get their stuff on an elite program, there's always a mid-major. They get enough coverage. Besides, how boring would it be if every one stayed the same as penn State.

I'm just thinking aloud here...but that style would work really well for Virginia. Those unis don't look too bad, IMO, and since the Wahoos already have a modern looking helmet (stripes, at least), a modern looking uniform like this would look great.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Yeah, I think that stripe that starts on the pants and connects to the bottom of the jersey actually wraps around the back.

I wonder if the orange on the pants wraps around too (instead of a normal vertical stripe) at the top of the pants...say, around the waist, analogous to Miami's butt stripe.

Schools can sure say no. Look at Michigan. If Nike doesn't get their stuff on an elite program, there's always a mid-major. They get enough coverage. Besides, how boring would it be if every one stayed the same as penn State.

Umm, Michigan's roads have a Nike bib now.

Put Your Hands up For Detroit (our lovely city)

I just thought about the helmet. These will look even worse when paired with a traditional helmet like Illinois has. They have an orange helmet with navy-white-navy stripes down the center. Yet there are no traditiional stripes on the pants?

It is like wearing a top-hat with bike shorts and a grease-covered sleeveless white shirt.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I just thought about the helmet. These will look even worse when paired with a traditional helmet like Illinois has. They have an orange helmet with navy-white-navy stripes down the center. Yet there are no traditiional stripes on the pants?

It is like wearing a top-hat with bike shorts and a grease-covered sleeveless white shirt.

I've already pointed out how Clemson's uniforms actually differ quite a bit from these, but if the Illini keep the traditionally striped helmet, then looking at Clemson's is worth doing.

By the way, one thing I didn't mention that makes the Illini's different from Clemson's--Clemson has a sleeve logo with numbers on the shoulders, the Illini just have shoulder numbers.

252760.jpg

20458798.jpg

I agree, the traditional helmet really doesn't work with this style.

The Illini really messed this thing up.

I was just thinking about how Illinois could possibly make this worse, and I've got it:

Dark grey facemasks.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Wow I have to agree with those that said the 2002 and earlier look was the Illini's best. I didn't think the latest version was terrible, though, or the addition of the navy outline around the letters on the helmet last year, for that matter. But this looks bad.

I wonder if there are changes in store for the helmet. Anyone know for sure? Will the Circle I find its way there -- and if it does, from the looks of it, it will be a white I with a blue circle if the helmet stays orange.

Or will the traditional -- well, for what, 15-20 years anyway -- Illinois "Giants" script remain?

Wow I have to agree with those that said the 2002 and earlier look was the Illini's best. I didn't think the latest version was terrible, though, or the addition of the navy outline around the letters on the helmet last year, for that matter. But this looks bad.

I wonder if there are changes in store for the helmet. Anyone know for sure? Will the Circle I find its way there -- and if it does, from the looks of it, it will be a white I with a blue circle if the helmet stays orange.

Or will the traditional -- well, for what, 15-20 years anyway -- Illinois "Giants" script remain?

The guy who got these pictures from the original board seemed to be under the impression that the helmets were staying.

Who knows. I'm not sure it matters, because this look is awful either way.

That said, if they wanna try and fit this look, the helmet needs the circle I (white I, navy circle), and the striping needs to be thin white, thick blue, thin white. That would match the piping effect. You could reverse the colors and keep white as the middle stripe, but I'm not sure that would go as well. Maybe.

Ugh. I don't like these at all. Still.

I'm just thinking aloud here...but that style would work really well for Virginia. Those unis don't look too bad, IMO, and since the Wahoos already have a modern looking helmet (stripes, at least), a modern looking uniform like this would look great.

UVA has one of the best uniforms in all of football (they just need a one color name on the back instead of two). They mix a classic style of penn state with some simple modern elements. if anything, people should be copying them, not changing them.

I'm just thinking aloud here...but that style would work really well for Virginia.  Those unis don't look too bad, IMO, and since the Wahoos already have a modern looking helmet (stripes, at least), a modern looking uniform like this would look great.

UVA has one of the best uniforms in all of football (they just need a one color name on the back instead of two). They mix a classic style of penn state with some simple modern elements. if anything, people should be copying them, not changing them.

The entire uniform is not that good, though, IMO. I can't tell if they're trying to be modern (stripes on helmet) or trying to be traditional (jersey, pants). When you mix classic style with modern, the two parts shouldn't be seperated like oil and water.

Archived