UC to be Adidas School

redlegs420

I thought you were referring to the University of California system...heh, maybe clarify which UC you're talking about in the subject? ;)

so, remind me which sports besides basketball they're good in?

I will wait and see with this. Ever since the 2004 restyling of the C-paw, most of their stuff has been inconsistent. Football numerals are italic, but basketball is still block. Even the turf had red italic numerals. Ugh! when they went to brand Jordan, their shorts were great. I wonder if the removal of huggins also had something to do with this, but they will never publically comment on it.

While I'm sure the departure of Huggins removed an obstacle, I think what we're seeing here is more of a trend of schools wanting to use one supplier to have one consistant look across their entire athletics department, rather than 3, 4, or 5.

It also should allow for a more lucrative cut of revenue from merchandise sales because one company will be producing the majority of UC apparel.

Syracuse did the same "branding initiative" stuff a couple of years ago, since all their sports teams had different logos and there was no identifiable "Syracuse" logo or wordmark. Two observations:

1) That was right after they won the national title with 'Melo. Since then, they haven't been nearly as successful.

2) It got them those horrible "busy retro" football uniforms, replacing some of the classiest unis around:

OLD UNIFORM:

mcnabb4.jpg

NEW UNIFORM:

GroupDSC_0036web.jpg

Caveat emptor, Cincinnati.

Syracuse did the same "branding initiative" stuff a couple of years ago, since all their sports teams had different logos and there was no identifiable "Syracuse" logo or wordmark.  Two observations:

1) That was right after they won the national title with 'Melo.  Since then, they haven't been nearly as successful.

2) It got them those horrible "busy retro" football uniforms, replacing some of the classiest unis around:

OLD UNIFORM:

mcnabb4.jpg

NEW UNIFORM:

GroupDSC_0036web.jpg

To be fair, the newer Cuse football unis aren't bad at all. I like the number on the helmet. Not to mention the refreshing absence of any piping.

I will wait and see with this. Ever since the 2004 restyling of the C-paw, most of their stuff has been inconsistent. Football numerals are italic, but basketball is still block. Even the turf had red italic numerals. Ugh! when they went to brand Jordan, their shorts were great. I wonder if the removal of huggins also had something to do with this, but they will never publically comment on it.

The numbers on the football and basketball jersey this past year were exactly the same.

Syracuse did the same "branding initiative" stuff a couple of years ago, since all their sports teams had different logos and there was no identifiable "Syracuse" logo or wordmark.  Two observations:

1) That was right after they won the national title with 'Melo.  Since then, they haven't been nearly as successful.

OLD UNIFORM:

mcnabb4.jpg

NEW UNIFORM:

GroupDSC_0036web.jpg

I love that Syracuse picture because that's from their opener against Tennessee in 98, the first of 12 straight wins en route to the undisputed National Championship!

Those McNabb-era Cuse unis are sharp, though, for sure. I refrenced them earlier in the Illinois thread.

Archived