Packers proposed '94 uniform change

whitedawg22

Does anybody have a picture of the Green Bay Packers' proposed new 1994 uniforms that never came to pass?

Or, for that matter, the new unis the 49ers proposed in 1991 or 1992?

Muchas gracias for any help anyone can provide...

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Search for a user named "Gothamite" - he has a mock-up linked in his signature. The Packer unis were never actually created, just talked about.

If I find it later, I'll post an article that detailed things.

It's where I sit.

I hate the Packers and all, but damn... that change would not fly with me.

i personally think they look horrible.

they made the right choice sticking with kelly and yellow.

notre dameish

but i like the side logo

not me... i really am not a fan of teams that have the same logo on their sleeve as they do on their helmets...

it just looks bad from the side, imo.

The thing that annoys me most about this set is that there are no stripes anywhere. The only team-specific adornment is the logo on the helmet and sleeves. These would have come off looking very cheap on the field - like a lower-tier collegiate program saddled with a stock uniform.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I like them better. Other than the gold outline on the name, that is.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

At first glance, they look pretty good, and I think tradition can sometimes be overrated. I mean, the Packers have tinkered with their uniform fairly regularly over their history, unlike (for instance) the Raiders or the Michigan Wolverines.

That said, I think they ARE quite plain, echoing the sentiments above. That could translate either to a sleek, modern look, or a cheap, plain look. It's a risk, but I think some detail would need to be added to make these work. No piping, though.

One other thing: these aren't the actual proposed uniform--I'm not sure that was ever unveiled or even put together. These are one guy's rendering of what might have been.

Thanks for the diagrams, though. These are the best I've seen of this uniform.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Aw, always glad when somebody notices my work. :D

Yes, to confirm, that's my interpretation of what the uniforms would have looked like, based on contemporaneous reports. I'm pretty comfortable in that estimation, though.

The only thing I pulled completely out of thin air was the shade of gold. Hard to guess - the reports at the time were that the shade they had chosen was not a shade used by the Saints or 49ers, but the Niners have since changed their colors.

To answer whitedawg22's point, the design was finalized. There may or may not have been a mock-up created, but the design was finalized. It was approved by the Packers' executive committee. It was a done deal, awaiting only the order to go ahead. And that's when Ron Wolf had second thoughts, and pulled back.

I am trying to track down any extant renderings of the proposed design. If I can, I'll update the site.

For my own part, as a lifelong Packer fan I'm sorry that they didn't make the change. This change could have honored the Curly Lambeau era as well as the Lombardi era, and we tend to forget the first 30 years of Packers history all too often. We forget that Curly won 6 championships, more even than Vince.

The only difference that I would have liked to have seen was a single green stripe on the helmets and down the side of the pants. That's it - with that one element added, we would have had my personal favorite Packer uniform.

As for the other switch, there were reports in 1993 that the Packers were considering switching back to navy and gold (which they had worn for most of their first 40 years or so). I have never been able to confirm if those rumors were true, or if they were mistakenly referring to the 1994 throwback uniforms, so I haven't included them in the database.

Anyway, there you have it. Thanks for the feedback, and check out the rest of the page. Love to hear what you think.

notre dameish

but i like the side logo

not me... i really am not a fan of teams that have the same logo on their sleeve as they do on their helmets...

it just looks bad from the side, imo.

I agree, if you're going to put a logo on the sleeve, make it a different one than the helmet logo.

IIRC the shade of gold they were going to use is the same as the Rams these days.

I wouldn't know if that's the shade in that interpretation (doesn't look like it) but just thought i'd mention it.

They look quite Notre Dameish IMO and I don't like the logo on the sleeves either.

The only difference that I would have liked to have seen was a single green stripe on the helmets and down the side of the pants.  That's it - with that one element added, we would have had my personal favorite Packer uniform.

I agree Gothamite, that would have looked awesome, IMO.

Nice interpretation of what the Packers proposed. I think it's one of those designs that would look even better on the field rather than just glancing at a concept of it.

Maybe plain sleeves and a logo on the front (a la Jets or Steelers) is the way to go.

I'm not a fan of over-logofying a jersey either, like the 49ers, who have three logos down the side of the uniform.

Ditto for Carolina.

Archived