Packers proposed '94 uniform change

whitedawg22

Yoiu know I like them better--anything that makes them look less like the Eskimos is good in my books--the green & yellow they use don't work well together--I find the contrast jarring.

I also agree with Gothamite--add the green stripes!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I hate the Packers and all, but damn... that change would not fly with me.

i personally think they look horrible.

they made the right choice sticking with kelly and yellow.

kelly green? that'd be...um, Marshall :D

the Packers rock forest green ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm not actually sure that you're right.

Remember, at that point the Packers were a laughingstock, coming off of decades of futility. Those uniforms had been worn in many more bad seasons than good ones.

Had they made the change in 1994, and gone on to win the Super Bowl in them, and if the new uniforms were emblematic of Brett Favre's tenure, then I think Packer fans would have accepted the change. Had the Packers stressed the first six World Championships, and linked this uniform to the entire history, the best of all worlds, "Tradition with Vision" or some such, it might have worked.

That was the time to do it, in 1994 - the moment has passed.

• 9 years later...

"Long a student of football history, Wolf associated the Packers' pants with the maize of the University of Michigan. He didn't like that color."

"He (Thompson) was on the field down there all by himself," recalled Wolf. "The guy ran up and down the field. I was thinking to myself, 'Holy (expletive), I must have been smoking dope.'"

Then Wolf looked at Harlan, and Harlan looked at Wolf.

"All it took was that one trip up and down the field for me to say, '(Expletive), that's terrible. No, no, no. There's no way we can do this,'" Wolf remembered. "We would have changed it, but after that I said, 'This is foolish.'"

Wolf seems like a cool guy to kick it with.

Yeah - I know this is really old. However, here's an article from today's paper talking about it, and adding some information that I didn't know about.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-allowed-this-ron-wolf-mistake-on-the-field-just-once-b99557888z1-322011191.html

That article confirms there was indeed an actual jersey, pants and helmet prototype in existence. It's gotta be somewhere.

bSLCtu2.png

Yeah - I know this is really old. However, here's an article from today's paper talking about it, and adding some information that I didn't know about.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-allowed-this-ron-wolf-mistake-on-the-field-just-once-b99557888z1-322011191.html

Very interesting article. The comments to it are cringe-worthy.

Example:

Digger

Top 5 coolest NFL Uni's

1. Seattle (hate the team, love the Unis)

2. Titans

3. Chargers (always cool)

4. Jags

5. Bucs

Bottom 5:

28. Redskins (speaking of puke yellow)

29. Dolphins (but what can you do with a fish?)

30. Browns (new design almost worse than before)

31. Packers (enough said)

32. Patriots (I hate those silver helmets)

87Redskins.png

Wish that someone who was watching the Browns and/or Bucs test runs would have had the same reaction.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I doubt seriously that any current GMs are involved as much (or even cared as much) in the branding of the team as Wolf was. Of course if that happened today, Nike reps would have sold them a story about how the gold represents the barley fields of Wisconsin and the hard working people who farm them, and the green represents the football field itself because the Packers are truly one with the game. Oh, and the G is for greatness, something that every hard working blue collar citizen of Green Bay strives for each and every day.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived