Worst NFL Logos

TrueYankee26

When was the last time you saw a completely different new uniform style that looked real good and was an instant classic. I would say it was the Broncos other than that I'm stumped...

The Texans come to mind.

I didn't say LOGO style, I said UNIFORM style. Their uniforms are hardly innovative and original, but their logo is definately a classic.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, as to why the logo is on only one side of the helmet, urban legend as it that back in the day (yet again), when the stickers were being affixed to the helmets, there weren't enough to go around for everyone to have two, so they stuck with one.  Well, apparently, they liked it, and it's been that way ever since.

I heard it was because they were wearing yellow helmets at the time, and were unsure about the switch to black with the logo on it. So as a result they only put the logo on one side of the black helmets to see if it looked good or not. They kept it, and like the one-sided look.

The Jets logo does look a lil busy--I myself don't see why they don't use some caricature of a JET as a logo--unless... (This this is something I've always wanted to know, so forgive me for not knowing.  Was that team was named for an actual plane? I read somewhere that nickname had some tie-in to NY opening LaGuardia Airport--any truth to that?  Or did the team pull its name from the gang "Jets" from Westside Story?  That story WAS set in MY, was it not?  I'm just saying, you know, the team nickname "GANG Green" and all?  I now that comes from the team being green--and white--but, still...just wondering...)

The Jets were originally called the Titans, in order to "be larger than the Giants". They moved to Shea Stadium in the mid 60s and changed their name to Jets becasue, well, Shea is quite close to LaGuardia and planes would constantly fly over the sstadium, drowning out the place (it still does, if you've ever been to a Mets game). Plus it rhymed with the Mets, their fellow tennants. As for the JET as a logo, they had an iterations of this, which didn't look very good:

934.gif

Personally I'll take their current logo.

Now, as to why the logo is on only one side of the helmet, urban legend as it that back in the day (yet again), when the stickers were being affixed to the helmets, there weren't enough to go around for everyone to have two, so they stuck with one.  Well, apparently, they liked it, and it's been that way ever since.

I heard it was because they were wearing yellow helmets at the time, and were unsure about the switch to black with the logo on it. So as a result they only put the logo on one side of the black helmets to see if it looked good or not. They kept it, and like the one-sided look.

The Jets logo does look a lil busy--I myself don't see why they don't use some caricature of a JET as a logo--unless... (This this is something I've always wanted to know, so forgive me for not knowing.  Was that team was named for an actual plane? I read somewhere that nickname had some tie-in to NY opening LaGuardia Airport--any truth to that?  Or did the team pull its name from the gang "Jets" from Westside Story?  That story WAS set in MY, was it not?  I'm just saying, you know, the team nickname "GANG Green" and all?  I now that comes from the team being green--and white--but, still...just wondering...)

The Jets were originally called the Titans, in order to "be larger than the Giants". They moved to Shea Stadium in the mid 60s and changed their name to Jets becasue, well, Shea is quite close to LaGuardia and planes would constantly fly over the sstadium, drowning out the place (it still does, if you've ever been to a Mets game). Plus it rhymed with the Mets, their fellow tennants. As for the JET as a logo, they had an iterations of this, which didn't look very good:

934.gif

Personally I'll take their current logo.

ah huh I see noe (about the Jets). I forgot the part about it rhyming with Nets and Mets. But I see I wasn't too far off with the LaGuardia Airport connection.

As for the Steeler helmet logo sticker thing, you could be right. I have no idea--that was just stuff I was told since I been up here in this city of steel, bridges, tunnels, hills, one-way streets, bad drivers, and jacked-up pathways these folks call roads. I'm sure someone in this city (which, btw, ain't ALL bad) knows the real story.

Anyone with the story or info, holla...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

When was the last time you saw a completely different new uniform style that looked real good and was an instant classic. I would say it was the Broncos other than that I'm stumped...

The Texans come to mind.

I didn't say LOGO style, I said UNIFORM style. Their uniforms are hardly innovative and original, but their logo is definately a classic.

Where did I mention the logo in my post? The uniforms are deffently innovative, as far as the NFL goes. How many NFL teams were using that template before the Texans? No one. It's a modern take on the UCLA stripe pattern.

The Texans come to mind.

Where did I mention the logo in my post? The uniforms are deffently innovative, as far as the NFL goes. How many NFL teams were using that template before the Texans? No one. It's a modern take on the UCLA stripe pattern.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I suppose. I don't see anything that different about the Texans' unis, as a matter of fact I find them quite boring and unimaginative.

I do like their red alts MUCH better than their navy home unis. But that of course is a matter of opinion.

The Texans come to mind.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one I suppose. I don't see anything that different about the Texans' unis, as a matter of fact I find them quite boring and unimaginative.

I do like their red alts MUCH better than their navy home unis. But that of course is a matter of opinion.

Well I agree with you on the red jersey being the better shirt. Why would a Houston football team wear a navy blue, when that colour is associated with the Dallas Cowboys?

Still, I think the Texans uniforms are great. They're the perfect combination of modern style and tradition. In 50 years I could see the Texans unis reaching Green Bay/Chicago status.

The Browns have to have a logo before it's considered the worst.

New England, the Titans and the current Atlanta logos are all pretty bad.

But this guy:

TB_1041.gif

ugh!

No effin' way. Bucco Bruce is individual and classic.

100% better than the generic white surrender flag they've got now.

It's not a surrender flag. It's a red flag with a skull and 2 swords crossed and a football.

You know, as I sit here thinking about it... it's probably better to ask "who has a GOOD logo in the NFL?"  I don't know that I can think of any.

I guess I like the Bears "C" (but not the teddy bear) and the Packers "G."  Ummm... I'm thinking that's about it.  Maybe the Redskins and Cowboys aren't awful.

I did like the old Patriots logo (the center in revolutionary-era dress).  What makes that painful to say, though, is that my team (the Bills) have never in their history had a halfway decent logo.  Even the old red "standing buffalo" was, I think, hideous.

Five "Good" NFL logos:

169.gif

157.gif

162.gif

152.gif

156.gif

agreed

The Texans come to mind.

Well I agree with you on the red jersey being the better shirt. Why would a Houston football team wear a navy blue, when that colour is associated with the Dallas Cowboys?

Still, I think the Texans uniforms are great. They're the perfect combination of modern style and tradition. In 50 years I could see the Texans unis reaching Green Bay/Chicago status.

I've always been a huge fan of the Ole Miss Navy helmet/red jersey combo. I think the Texans could still do a similar combo without looking like the Rebels.

As for what makes a great logo...IMO its a combination of simplicity and great color combos:

Bears, Giants, Rams, Cowboys, Texans, Eagles (not as simple as the past but still good) Chiefs, etc.

Archived