Baseball Legends

Jimmy!

Apologies in advance if this has been covered before. But I'm too darn lazy to look this up. So if it gets graveyarded, I'll know why.

I've been watching the Ken Burns baseball documentary, and I got to thinking. If you could meet one baseball player who has moved on to that great baseball diamond in the sky, who would it be?

Me? Walter Johnson, hands down. 417 career wins, 110 career shutouts. All on a team, for the most part, was in the toilet of the American League.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Ted Williams and Willie Mays. One currently with God and the other still among the human beings.

I would also like to meet some Giants players like Bill Terry, Mel Ott, McGraw, Mathewson, "Dummy" Taylor and Monte Irvin...

Eh, oh, also the great Pirate Honus Wagner!!!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

1. Babe Ruth would be truly amazing. Pitcher, slugger, self-made man from nothing...orphan, titan of the game who lived large.

2. Shoeless Joe Jackson...country bumpkin with amazing natural talent. Would love to hear his thoughts on what really happened with the scandal.

3. Ted Williams...fought for his country in WWII via the draft as a fighter pilot, then did it again as a volunteer in Korea. Could have sat out the last game of his .406 season to assure hitting over .400, but didn't. Played anyway out of sheer principle. That's a man with grit.

SB40terribletowel.jpg6220steelers.jpglicense_thum.jpg

1. Roger Maris. Being from North Dakota, and having moved to his hometown of Fargo two years ago, I have special feelings for the guy. I'd love to talk to him about ... well ... North Dakota stuff, and if he ever wanted to talk about 1961, I'd leave it up to him.

2. Satchell Paige. I'd like to ask him, "What was it like, probably being the best pitcher in all of baseball in 1935, and playing for a semi-pro team in Bismarck, N.D.?" I'd tell him about my dad going to see him play, and then, hopefully, I'd introduce him to my dad.

3. Lou Gehrig, for obvious reasons.

Being a baseball history buff it's difficult for me to pick just one but if I had to I'd probably go with Babe Ruth.

Others I would love to meet.

Jackie Robinson, Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, John McGraw, Josh Gibson, Buck Leonard, Satchel Paige, Jimmie Foxx, Hank Greenberg, Honus Wagner, Sam Crawford, Lefty Grove, Branch Rickey, Connie Mack, Dizzy Dean, Lou Gehrig, Roy Campanella, Larry Doby, Joe Jackson, Gil Hodges, and so on...

BB52Big.jpg

Archived