Ot:espn is canceling 'playmakers'

oz615

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - The season finale of ESPN's original series "Playmakers" earned some of the best ratings for the show's run, but pressure from the NFL could put the show in jeopardy.

"Playmakers," about a fictional, controversy-laden pro football team in an unnamed city, averaged about 2.2 million viewers a week in its first season. Tuesday's (Nov. 11) finale was seen in about 2 million households, the most since the show's premiere.

For all that, though, the series, created by "Alias" writer-producer John Eisendrath, may not live to see a second season. Although ESPN has said numerous times that the show is not based on the National Football League, the NFL has objected strenuously to its content. Drug use, easy sex and domestic abuse were among "Playmakers'" seamier storylines this season.

Reports in both the Chicago Sun-Times and the New York Post claim ESPN is likely to cancel the show under pressure from the league. ESPN broadcasts NFL games on Sunday nights that typically draw an audience about four times the size for that of "Playmakers."

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue has called the show "a gross mischaracterization" of how a pro football team works. Jeffrey Lurie, owner of the Philadelphia Eagles, tells the Sun-Times that it's "certainly a possibility" that the NFL could take its cable package elsewhere if ESPN renews "Playmakers."

The network says it hasn't made a decision about renewing the show

Its a damn shame,because that is the best show on TV IMO,but hey its the NFL,what can you do about,thoughts on this anyone??

that show is sweet, if the nfl doesnt like it how come they didnt complain about any given sunday

The NFL didn't complain about "Any Given Sunday" because the studio that produced the movie doesn't rely on the NFL to generate income like ESPN does. Matter of fact, the studio that produced "Any Given Sunday" pays millions of dollars to advertise during NFL broadcasts, thus enabling networks to pay the NFL huge sums of money for the rights to carry NFL programming.

This is a classic case of the NFL using its economic might to control how its broadcast partners behave. And now that the NFL Network has been launched, you better believe that all of the NFL's cable partners are going to march in absolute lockstep with each and every order the NFL cares to issue.

Again, I am not going to state whether I feel this is right or wrong, but it is what it is.

Sad we all know this is dramataziation, makes me wonder what does the NBA have to hide. Sad whats happeneing to the first amendment.

Although I didn't watch but maybe 20 minutes of the show, I will agree the situation is sad, however this really isn't a freedom of speech issue.  It's not the government censoring a broadcast; it's a multibillion dollar enterprise exerting economic pressure on a network that makes millions of dollars on it broadcast and access rights not to show a program that they believe casts its enterprise in a negative light.  The real tragedy here is that the NFL feels the need to do this because they think there are enough people watching the show that will confuse the storyline of a teleplay (which may or may not be inspired by actual events) as a generalization of how every NFL team operates.  If more people were able to distinguish drama from reality the show would probably continue.

Its this oversensativity called Political Coretness taht has bluured everyones reality. I think 90% are smart enough to relaise Playamkers is fake, but teh NFl is worried about the 10% its a joke.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

i've been kickin' around the idea of a story of a Minor League hockey team, it's even stranger in the minors.....

There was a Canadian show that ran for a few seasons called Power Play, about a fictional minor league hockey team in Hamilton ON called the Steelheads, who were constantly under financial pressure to move to Houston, but the owner, played by Gordon Pinsent, was a die-hard Canuck, known for his unorthodox methods in the boardroom and the locker room, who worked hard to keep them in Hamilton.

IMDb points out as well that "This ensemble comedy/drama revolves around Brett Parker, a brilliant but morally empty sports agent who begins to find redemption in spite of himself when he moves back to his hometown to run a struggling, low-end NHL franchise. Once there, he discovers that redemption is not as easy to find."

I can tell you, it was not an NHL franchise, it was definitely a minor league team, but otherwise, the rest of the info is true. Brett Parker (played by Michael Riley) was the team's GM.

I was always impressed by the hockey footage they used. Looked very real-life, although they had to pack it all into the 1/2 or full hour time slot, and was thus very brief.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The NFL didn't complain about "Any Given Sunday" because the studio that produced the movie doesn't rely on the NFL to generate income like ESPN does. Matter of fact, the studio that produced "Any Given Sunday" pays millions of dollars to advertise during NFL broadcasts, thus enabling networks to pay the NFL huge sums of money for the rights to carry NFL programming.

They also specifically mention a mythical league name during the movie, the "AAFF" or something like that (forgive me, its been a while since I watched the film), unlike Playmakers.

I personally think the problem is solved simply by solidifying some murky areas, such as the city the team plays in and by using a mythical league name.

I'm sure they could use Major League Football or Continental Football Association for a nominal 'rights fee.'

:D

nav-logo.png

makes me wonder what does the NBA have to hide.

You have no idea.  I used to have a job covering the NBA and had access to some locker rooms.  I was on very limited access, but some of the stories I heard..........

However, I also gained respect for Keith Closs (formerly of the Clippers) and have TONS of great stories about him.  Now there's a man that a sitcom could be made about.   :D

As for "Playmakers", I thought it sucked.  I realize I was in the minority, but it never intrigued me.

I love PLAYMAKERS and you can't argue with the facts: it's a pretty successful show. I agree w/ Tank, this is damn near censorship. But it's not a Constitutional issue: free speech applies only to the government,not huge corporate machines like the NFL.

That's the problem with the NFL: they've become so big that you'd think they owned the patent of the actual football. ESPN should turn a deaf ear to the NFL, since ESPN can do just fine w/o it. They are successful enough to broadcast NCAA football alone. ESPN should stand its ground on this issue, considering ALL IT HAS DONE for the NFL in the past 10-15 years. The NFL should shut its mouth.

I think the real issue is that NFL players, coaches, executives, etc. see some embarrassing truths in the show...the show hits a little too close to home for them I think.

By the way, if the NFL has a problem with the show "grossly misrepresenting" its players, that's the NFL's problem. I wish I had a $1 for everytime an NFL player got in trouble with the law.

Note to Paul Tagliabue: Art imitates Life.

ESPN should stand its ground on this issue, considering ALL IT HAS DONE for the NFL in the past 10-15 years.

No kidding.  What would happen when suddenly there were no football highlights on Sportscenter?  Just cut it out completely.  No more "free" promotion of the league and it's teams.  See how the NFL likes that.

That show had to be the worst show on television. The one commercial that sticks out in my mind that they repeated about 38249679283462 times a day was the one where it says this:

"I'm under arrest?! [scene change] You might as well admit it... you're gay. [scene change] I'm pregnant."

How cliché can you get? Closet homosexuals, illegitimate pregnancies, spousal abuse... Playmakers is nothing more than the Young and the Restless with football pads and jock straps.

Archived