***OFFICIAL STANLEY CUP FINALS THREAD***

jkrdevil

From ESPN2's Daily Quickie:

For a certain segment of fans who live within a 100-mile radius of ESPN, the Hurricanes' Stanley Cup championship is more bitter than sweet:

This team is/was the Whalers, beloved in Hartford, but whisked out of town and relocated down to the foreign burg of Raleigh, N.C.

It was insult to injury, taking the franchise from the heart of New England hockey country to the NHL's 1990s cash-harvesting in the alien South.

But Canes owner Peter Karmanos' decision has finally been vindicated. The atmosphere in Carolina's arena last night was as intense and jubilant as any in the league. Fans in Carolina can now take a place among the league's best.

Even more, the title represents the second straight Stanley Cup for the NHL's controversial Southern Strategy, ironically book-ended around a strike that the very same strategy contributed to triggering.

If there's a solace for Whalers fans (and any hockey fans who, 10 years later, still can't understand or appreciate NHL hockey in a place like North Carolina), it's that 18-year-vet Glen Wesley finally won his Cup, ending the longest drought among active players (169 playoff games).

Or maybe, looking ahead, that the future of the sport is in the secure hands of the thrilling Cam Ward, the youngest Cup-winning goalie (and playoffs MVP) in 20 years, when the Whale still ruled Hartford.

Kinda brings vindication to the whole "Whalers are Cup Champs" phenomenon I may or may not have triggered (I had my sig image up around Game 3 or 4).

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a certain segment of fans who live within a 100-mile radius of ESPN, the Hurricanes' Stanley Cup championship is more bitter than sweet:

This team is/was the Whalers, beloved in Hartford, but whisked out of town and relocated down to the foreign burg of Raleigh, N.C.

It was insult to injury, taking the franchise from the heart of New England hockey country to the NHL's 1990s cash-harvesting in the alien South.

But Canes owner Peter Karmanos' decision has finally been vindicated. The atmosphere in Carolina's arena last night was as intense and jubilant as any in the league. Fans in Carolina can now take a place among the league's best.

Even more, the title represents the second straight Stanley Cup for the NHL's controversial Southern Strategy, ironically book-ended around a strike that the very same strategy contributed to triggering.

If there's a solace for Whalers fans (and any hockey fans who, 10 years later, still can't understand or appreciate NHL hockey in a place like North Carolina), it's that 18-year-vet Glen Wesley finally won his Cup, ending the longest drought among active players (169 playoff games).

Or maybe, looking ahead, that the future of the sport is in the secure hands of the thrilling Cam Ward, the youngest Cup-winning goalie (and playoffs MVP) in 20 years, when the Whale still ruled Hartford.

Kinda brings vindication to the whole "Whalers are Cup Champs" phenomenon I may or may not have triggered (I had my sig image up around Game 3 or 4).

You can thank Gary Bettman for defiling the Stanley Cup.

You might as well call it the Bettman Cup, since he encouraged "financially struggling teams' (Read: greedy owners with no sympathy towards their fans) from Minnesota, Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Hartford to become "carpetbagger teams", moving to sunnier-and more retirement friendly- locales (save Colorado)

that have little or no knowledge of hockey, let alone any local high school hockey programs.

It is high time for Mr. Bettman to step down and let a true CANADIAN :flagcanada:

become the next Comissioner of the NHL!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

How?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

You might as well call it the Bettman Cup, since he encouraged "financially struggling teams' (Read: greedy owners with no sympathy towards their fans) from Minnesota, Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Hartford to become "carpetbagger teams", moving to sunnier-and more retirement friendly- locales (save Colorado)

that have little or no knowledge of hockey, let alone any local high school hockey programs.

It is high time for Mr. Bettman to step down and let a true CANADIAN :flagcanada:

Creamer!!! :D:D

You might as well call it the Bettman Cup, since he encouraged "financially struggling teams' (Read: greedy owners with no sympathy towards their fans) from Minnesota, Quebec City, Winnipeg, and Hartford to become "carpetbagger teams",  moving to sunnier-and more retirement friendly- locales (save Colorado)

Because, as we all know, the Canadian dollar was strong in the 1990s and having the smallest arena in the league attached to a freakin' mall is a boon for revenue. <_<

Anyhow, I'm glad to see the positive effect of high school hockey on an NHL team...

united_center.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

How?

I take that article to mean that Peter Karmanos and Gary Bettman made a good move by relocating the Whalers to Raleigh.

Vindication = Justification

That article doesn't serve to justify the idea that the Whalers are the Cup champions at all.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

What's wrong with the sport trying to grow? The more the sport grows the better the players there will be. THe better the players the more entertaining the game is for the fans.

Guess what it takes time, it is not going to happen over night. Take for example the State of New Jersey. This is a state that has for a long time had hockey at all levels. It's where Hobey Baker played college hockey. Just now about 80 something years after nearby NYC got it's first team, 39 years after nearby Philly got the Flyers, and 24 years after the Devils came to town the state is just now starting produce top level talent. Hockey in the last ten years in New Jersey has exploded.

http://www.nhl.com/features/east/east_notebook062006.html

It takes time and the NHL knew this and it was part of the plan. If these teams get good then more people will hopefully get into the game. Youth hockey in those areas will grow and continue to grow. It might take 20 years to see the result in the hockey program but you have to give it time. Once again it takes time and it won't happen overnight.

As for Winnipeg, Hartfors and Quebec City. Remember they probably wouldn't have had teams to begin with if it weren't for the WHA. A league which basically had to go to small markets because the NHL had the big markets. It shouldn't be a surprise that these teams couldn't last once they got to the NHL and had to compete against the big market teams.

How?

I take that article to mean that Peter Karmanos and Gary Bettman made a good move by relocating the Whalers to Raleigh.

Vindication = Justification

That article doesn't serve to justify the idea that the Whalers are the Cup champions at all.

I guess I meant that this was not limited to just this board, that other people felt the same way.

Bad choice of words on my part. Sorry.

Man, I really gotta get my thoughts on this into a separate topic.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

NHL_398x299_46144oilers.jpg

Coming soon to a Third World country probably not near you.

Imagine living in a 3rd World Country getting shirts like Super Bowl XXV XXVI XXVII XXVIII Champion Buffalo Bills, or 1986 World Series Champs Boston Red Sox, and you get to America and all of a sudden you are like WTF? You get in to knock em out drag em out arguments at teh sports bar and you think you are in an alternate univere and start going crazy.

As for Richard Petty was he really at the Hurricanes Parade with the Cup???

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

NHL_398x299_46144oilers.jpg

Coming soon to a Third World country probably not near you.

Imagine living in a 3rd World Country getting shirts like Super Bowl XXV XXVI XXVII XXVIII Champion Buffalo Bills, or 1986 World Series Champs Boston Red Sox, and you get to America and all of a sudden you are like WTF? You get in to knock em out drag em out arguments at teh sports bar and you think you are in an alternate univere and start going crazy.

... not so long after the person wearing the shirt would start getting offers of $100 for the shirt :D

I saw, I came, I left.

Best Pic Ever!

71220329SD007_Carolina_Hurr062021_lower.jpg

It looks like a scene from CSI: Miami because Wesley looks like Haratio Caine, Whitney looks like some douche bag cop with a buzz cut and a weird moustache and Stillman looks like...a...cop?

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Best Pic Ever!

71220329SD007_Carolina_Hurr062021_lower.jpg

It looks like a scene from CSI: Miami because Wesley looks like Haratio Caine, Whitney looks like some douche bag cop with a buzz cut and a weird moustache and Stillman looks like...a...cop?

I was sitting behind the bench for Ray Whitney's first game as a blue jacket and as he was stretching during warmups he kissed both biceps. He would wear aviators. <_<

Also Stillman's jersey does not have the stanley cup patch in that picture.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Before y'all start going WHOOOOEE HURRICANES ARE THE REAL DEAL UP YOURS BLUE STATE CUNNETACIT, just out of curiosity, I wonder how many millions of dollars Petey Karmanos has lost on this endeavor? Right off the bat it cost $20 million to bail out of Hartford, the two Greensboro years must've incurred huge financial losses, so he must've needed to have six incredibly prosperous years in Raleigh to even break even here, which I'm guessing is fairly unlikely. It's worth looking into, though, before we declare this a huge success.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's worth looking into, though, before we declare this a huge success.

I wouldn't declare the move to Carolina a success, at least not yet... the team winning stanley cup doesn't necessarily equal a good market.

The fans supported this team like mad during the run, but during the season they were only 21st overall in average attendence.

Not bad, but not great for an amazing team.

Next year it will be interesting to see the attendence, one would expect it to climb considerably.

2000-01: 13,355 (29th)

2001-02: 15,508 (24th)

2002-03: 15,682 (19th)

2003-04: 12,171 (29th)

2005-06: 15,596 (21st)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

What's worth noting is that their average attendence was basically the same in 2002-2003 and this year. Recall that the former year was coming off of a Eastern Conference Championship. Coming off of a lockout, I'd say this year's numbers were great, and next year, one can only wonder what will happen.

Archived