Ebbets Field Flannels

oldschoolvikings

Hi there,

I had a very positive experience with Ebbets Field Flannels. I purchased a New York Knights Roy Hobbs jersey from them a few months back. It took almost a month to get but that is because they actually made the jersey. It wasn't an in-stock item.

I've waited for years to get it because I've never trusted the Ebay ones, since most do not include the "Wonderboy" lightning bolt patch.

Just my two-cents, but I would order from them and just ask the person that picks up the phone any question you may have. :hockeysmiley:

They were an independent company, highest quality stuff. They got purchased by Stall & Dean and the whole enterprise took a nose dive.

The original owner bought it back from Stall & Dean last year and has slowly been rebuilding the business. The quality is already back up, and they've been expanding the catalogue. Not as many items as they used to have, but they're getting there. They can also make any historical minor league, Negro League or Latin America flannel.

There are a couple threads worth reading, to get past reactions to the company:

Ebbets Field Flannels, the return of the original!

Ebbets Field Flannels expanding its offerings

Short answer - they're fantastic.

I've bought from both companies, and have not been disappointed with the quality. THat being said, Stall & Dean's replica minor league jerseys are no where near the quality, or accuracy, of Ebbets Field. However, where else was I going to find a 1942 New Orleans Pelican jersey... and at a price of $75 (there was a sale)? Ebbets jersey are as accurate as I can tell (I have done a lil historical investigating) and are 100% wool. Now, I live in New Orleans... you cant wear 100% wool too often; thus make the cotton blend S&D jerseys a lil more tolerable.

Okay... I think most of what I said is coherent. If not, sorry. But, in a nutshell:

S&D = good quality, not necessarily accurate, perhaps less expensive

EFF = about as perfect as you can get, and you sometimes pay for it...

hjwii

My experience is that the company is fantastic. You will not be disappointed, at least not now that EFF is back under old management.

However, the NY Knights cap I bought last fall, after EFF returned to its original ownership, was significantly different from the one I bought a decade ago, during the company's original incarnation. The differences on the newer cap were:

1. Darker blue fabric (definite improvement)

2. More modern, 1950-style cut to the crown and brim (in this case, a huge improvement, since the cap is shaped much more like the actual movie costume caps than the low-profile, short-brimmed affair EFF used to sell)

3. Green satin undervisor (?! Doesn't an undervisor made of shiny, reflective material defeat the whole glare-reducing purpose of the undervisor? I say again, ?!)

4. Cloth, not leather sweatband (was EFF wrong for all those years about leather sweatbands being the norm before the 1960s?)

5. The tiny band of stiff white fabric at the bottom of the sweatband is absent. Yet many vintage player photos still seem to show the thin white strip around the bottom of the cap:

Koufax.jpgMickey_Mantle.jpg

All in all, it's a better looking cap with more accurate color and shape than the old model. But I have to say the construction of the cap falls short of my expectations of an EFF cap, especially since the catalog seems to imply that now all caps from all eras are made to the same vaguely 1950s-ish shape with cloth sweatbands, no white liner-ring-thing, and satin undervisors. If that's really an accurate reproduction of old hats, why did EFF used to make its hats so differently, and why do my old EFF caps look more like vintage photos than my new EFF cap? That said, my recently purchased EFF cap is still a better-made cap than any non-EFF cap I own.

Compared to an old EFF cap, a new EFF cap might leave you a bit disappointed. But compared to New Era, Mitchell & Ness, American Needle, and so forth, a new EFF cap will knock your socks off.

The jerseys are also second to none. At RFK, you sometimes see people wearing those iconic Homestead Grays jerseys with Josh Gibson's #20 on the back. You can tell from a section away whether they're wearing the EFF model or a non-EFF reproduction; it's as clear as the difference between an authentic jersey and a reproduction jersey with the single-color block numbers sewn on the back.

I too miss the leather sweatband.

I know that Jerry Cohen said that was a deliberate choice on one of the other threads, but I can't remember why they went that way.

Still, as you say, they're the best out there.

I too miss the leather sweatband.

I know that Jerry Cohen said that was a deliberate choice on one of the other threads, but I can't remember why they went that way.

Still, as you say, they're the best out there.

I think he said they could no longer get the quality leather that he wanted, and he didn't want to settle for anything else.

I'm glad to hear this. I was mulling over purchasing one of the NY Knights hats for a while, when all of a sudden the company was bought out by Stall & Dean, and I balked, because it got me worried. I may have to go back and take a look at their catalog again.

As a side note, somewhere in the boxes of my vast hat collection, I have a Cooperstown Collection St. Louis Cardinals hat with a leather sweatband, that I BELIEVE was made by New Era. I could be wrong there, but does anyone know who else (besides EFF) made Cooperstown Collection caps with leather sweatbands? I bought this in high school, so I want to say it was around 1991 or 1992. (EDIT: I don't think it was Cooperstown Ballcap Co, either, but again, the memory is failing. I remember it being very 5950-esque, just with a leather band.)

Cooleyvol is right on. I have several Cooperstown Ballcap hats and because I did not get a short cut on most of them, they fit terrible. I mean I could fit another half a head in the top, it's so bad.

But they are good quality overall. Just be mindful of how you order.

As a side note, somewhere in the boxes of my vast hat collection, I have a Cooperstown Collection St. Louis Cardinals hat with a leather sweatband, that I BELIEVE was made by New Era. I could be wrong there, but does anyone know who else (besides EFF) made Cooperstown Collection caps with leather sweatbands? I bought this in high school, so I want to say it was around 1991 or 1992. (EDIT: I don't think it was Cooperstown Ballcap Co, either, but again, the memory is failing. I remember it being very 5950-esque, just with a leather band.)

I think New Era had stopped using leather sweatbands by then, but I could be wrong. I think Roman Pro was still around at that time and they used leather sweatbands on some of their throwbacks.

Fantastic company. I bought an old Seattle Bombers football jersey from them a few years ago and the colors ran in the wash. They sent me another jersey, free of charge, and told me I could keep the other one.

I can't recomend them enough.

Cooleyvol is right on. I have several Cooperstown Ballcap hats and because I did not get a short cut on most of them, they fit terrible. I mean I could fit another half a head in the top, it's so bad.

But they are good quality overall. Just be mindful of how you order.

wman, you know CBC will do alterations free of charge for 6 months, don't you?

My first cap was tweaked 3 times. Now they have a size listing for me and all my caps are made from that listing of lenghts, etc.

I get 6 1/2" tall side panels and that's perfect for my head.

Its a matter of trial and error until you find the right fit. After that, you're set to go!

TIP: Get the cap in a short cut or there will LOTS of cap volume above the top of your head.

Is it their MODERN stlye with the extra cap volume you guys are talking about? The only hat I own from them is a 1935 Yankees which is fairly form fitting to my bulbous head.

As a side note, somewhere in the boxes of my vast hat collection, I have a Cooperstown Collection St. Louis Cardinals hat with a leather sweatband, that I BELIEVE was made by New Era.  I could be wrong there, but does anyone know who else (besides EFF) made Cooperstown Collection caps with leather sweatbands?  I bought this in high school, so I want to say it was around 1991 or 1992.  (EDIT:  I don't think it was Cooperstown Ballcap Co, either, but again, the memory is failing.  I remember it being very 5950-esque, just with a leather band.)

I think New Era had stopped using leather sweatbands by then, but I could be wrong. I think Roman Pro was still around at that time and they used leather sweatbands on some of their throwbacks.

I have several old Roman Pro with leather sweatbands. They made EXCELLENT throw back caps.

As a side note, somewhere in the boxes of my vast hat collection, I have a Cooperstown Collection St. Louis Cardinals hat with a leather sweatband, that I BELIEVE was made by New Era.  I could be wrong there, but does anyone know who else (besides EFF) made Cooperstown Collection caps with leather sweatbands?  I bought this in high school, so I want to say it was around 1991 or 1992.  (EDIT:  I don't think it was Cooperstown Ballcap Co, either, but again, the memory is failing.  I remember it being very 5950-esque, just with a leather band.)

It's driving me crazy now. I have to figure out where that hat ended up.

You know, moving 400+ hats 3 times in 4 years tends to make me forget where they all are!

Archived