Official Whalers-As-Winners Thread

Suigi

OK. I feel I'm partially to blame for this.

The whole idea started when I realized that the Carolina Hurricanes, who for the first 17 years of their existence were known as the Hartford Whalers, were actually succeeding in their Quest for the Cup.

Considering how the WhalerCanes franchise has been...well, dumpy for most of their history, I decided to remind people about the bad years in Hartford (and the last two pre-lockout seasons in Raleigh), and that this franchise - not just Hartford or Carolina - was finally going to end the season with a championship.

This, coupled with my love for defunct teams and the game's history, came up with the "Hartford Whalers - 2005-06 Stanley Cup Champions" banner.

As a joke.

Ha-ha. Ha.

I seriously did not expect so many people to start villifying me over it. And patsox. And maz1960. And brassbonanza97. Etc.

Would I have been slaughtered like that if, say, I decided to do a Jets-based banner should the 'Yotes win?

Or perhaps the best option would've been to do a "Quebec Nordiques - 1995-96 Stanley Cup Champions" banner a decade ago.

Doing this for a team like the Colorado Rockies or Cleveland Barons wouldn't make sense, as there wasn't any real entrenched fan base, nor did the moves occur in the last 15 seasons. That sorta happens when you only stay in town for a few seasons. That's why the "Baltimore Orioles - 26 Time World Champions" banner wouldn't work.

But in the case of the Whalers, Jets, Nordiques, or even the North Stars, then we have a fan base who are still quite hurt over their teams leaving. In some cases, they're even trying to get their team back (i.e. JetsOwner.com)

In any case, mea culpa. I honestly don't know why so many people got their jerseys in a twist over something so innocuously as a banner suggesting that people remember that this team USED to be the Whalers. Y'know, the Whalers who stunk so much, who became the Hurricanes who stunk only a little less, who are now Stanley Cup Champions?

Ha.

Super Wario Comix!

Iron Crossover IX Contender (Tied for 6th)

Iron Crossover Halloween Contender (Tied for Bronze)

vanhalengo.png

Doing this for a team like the Colorado Rockies ... wouldn't make sense, as there wasn't any real entrenched fan base,

There were plenty of Rockies jerseys out in the Pepsi Center the first season the Avalanche were there. Don't think that there weren't Rockies fans in Denver. Why do you think they moved the Avalanche there?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Yes, but the franchise that was the Colorado Rockies became the New Jersey Devils.

Thus, a "Colorado Rockies - 1994-95 Champions" banner would not work.

Super Wario Comix!

vanhalengo.png

Yes, but the franchise that was the Colorado Rockies became the New Jersey Devils.

Thus, a "Colorado Rockies - 1994-95 Champions" banner would not work.

Just like a Hartford Whalers 2006 Stanley Cup Champions wouldn't work. Duh. ;)

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

May I propose a compromise?

In light of the fact that this was the first Finals to feature two franchises that were founded in the defunct WHA, I humbly suggest that all Whaler fans post a banner touting the team as the 2006 Avco Cup champions.

Now if someone could only find the damn trophy.

In light of the fact that this was the first Finals to feature two franchises that were founded in the defunct WHA, I humbly suggest that all Whaler fans post a banner touting the team as the 2006 Avco Cup champions.

I accept your compromise, and will post a new banner later this week.

Thank you.

@TCR: I have no idea.

Super Wario Comix!

vanhalengo.png

Mmmhhh... Brooklyn Dodgers World Series Champions 1959 - 1963 - 1965 - 1981 - 1988.

Oh yeah.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

And maz1960.

Hey, i didnt get blasted for it like you guys have... well ...okay i did take some flak on my "Hartford Hurricanes" concept, but other than that ive been relatively safe when it comes to this. Dont mean to shoot down your thread here im just saying im not a really good example because ive not been a victim of anything you guys have for all this whalers stuff.

Besides, to evryone else, cant we have a little joke?

oBIgzrL.png

Suigi:

More power to you. I loved it, enjoyed it, took it as a joke and appreciated it. The fact that you didn't do it with malice, unlike PatSox, made me giggle about it...and cry too.

ZBoyer:

Glad you enjoyed it.

I'll be putting the twin banners (Hurricanes-StanleyCup, Whalers-AvcoCup) up by the end of the week.

Super Wario Comix!

vanhalengo.png

We have it :D

GOJETSGO OMGNEVERFORGET1972-1996LOL

Welcome to DrunjFlix

That's another banner I should do.

"Winnipeg Jets - 2005-06...umm...err...12th Place in Western Conference?"

EDIT: OOH OOH I GOT A BETTER ONE!

"Winnipeg Jets - Still Haven't Made It Past The Second Round"

Super Wario Comix!

vanhalengo.png

And by the same logic, Philadelphia would've won the World Series in 1972, '73, '74, and '89.

Which we don't think about because a) the A's have been gone for 50 years and B) it's depressing.

philly.png

Don't overanalyze this crap, youse guys. We all know the Whalers are gone. It's just funny to see "Hartford Whalers: Stanley Cup Champions." I chuckled and was like "ha! The Whale shall never die!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's only fitting that the Hurricanes won it all - I mean the Whalers.

In our CHL fantasy hockey league, EZstreeter is the Owner of the Hartford Whalers and won both League Championships as the Whalers this year.

What to go Hartford . . . I mean Carolina Whalers ... you know what I mean. :P

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I think its first round

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I think its first round

Actually, the only two times the Jets made it past the first round were 1984-85 and 1986-87. Wiki!

Super Wario Comix!

vanhalengo.png

Everyone who bitched and moaned aboutthe Whalers banner should shut the fu*k up and stop being jerk-offs. THe Whalers are still loved by millions of people, and to some people, like me, the Whalers will never fade from memory. All that banner did was to remind people that fans of Hartford still love the Whale. This board is made up of sports fans. For you to criticize someone for their sports fandom is hypocritical and fu*king retarded.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived