Bengals coach to get his own jersey

Jezus_Ghoti

Just found out about this from a friend who is a Bengals fan. This text is from the Bengals' website. Link: http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5308

The Marvin Factor continues to multiply later this summer when Marvin Lewis becomes the first NFL head coach to get his own replica jersey.

The brainchild of Monty Montague, the Bengals merchandise manager, the black jersey will have the number ?03,? signifying his first season in Cincinnati and a nameplate of ?M. Lewis.?

Montague said Wednesday he expects the jerseys to go on sale some time in August both in the Pro Shop at Paul Brown Stadium and on-line at Bengals.com.

I'm sure they will sell a bunch, or at least enough to warrant even bothering to make the jersey in the first place. Don't think we'll ever see Marvin Lewis actually wear his own jersey, though.

No, I would not buy one because the coach does not play in the game, so it wouldn't be game worn. That would mean that the jersey is unused in the field of play and I prefer jerseys that are actually worn on the field.

No, I would not buy one because the coach does not play in the game, so it wouldn't be game worn. That would mean that the jersey is unused in the field of play and I prefer jerseys that are actually worn on the field.
Do you have a problem with baseball managers/coaches wearing their team uniforms if they're not playing as well?

I have a problem with it because that's the way it is in baseball and only baseball. It serves ZERO purpose in football. I couldn't imagine Pat Riley in a jersey and shorts on the sideline could you? Same with hockey, soccer, curling, swimming, gymnastics, whatever the hell you're coaching...it only works in baseball, b/c thats the way it is...unless you're Connie Mack...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Do you have a problem with baseball managers/coaches wearing their team uniforms if they're not playing as well?

I have a problem with it because that's the way it is in baseball and only baseball. It serves ZERO purpose in football. I couldn't imagine Pat Riley in a jersey and shorts on the sideline could you? Same with hockey, soccer, curling, swimming, gymnastics, whatever the hell you're coaching...it only works in baseball, b/c thats the way it is...unless you're Connie Mack...

No, I don't have a problem with a coach wearing a uniform. I was just answering the question when I said I wouldn't buy one. If a coach wants to have his own uniform, go right ahead, I'm just not going to buy one.

Frickin' stupid idea. Obviously a way to make $$$$$ off the poor saps who'll will pay. He's going to get all those Bengal Fans while they are still excited about their team. Bad idea Coach! :cursing:

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

No, I don't have a problem with a coach wearing a uniform. I was just answering the question when I said I wouldn't buy one. If a coach wants to have his own uniform, go right ahead, I'm just not going to buy one.
OK I see where you're coming from. I just assumed you thought it was dumb...nevermind then...

...though I will admit I was in the mall today and they had a t-shirt jersey w/ Joe Torres name and number 6 on the back...I proceeded to vomit...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

It's just a marketing ploy, just like every fashion hat, third jersey, throwback jersey, etc. they throw out there. It seems like a bad idea, though - I hope Marvin Lewis doesn't get his feelings hurt by the number of jerseys sold because I don't think that number is going to be too high.

...it only works in baseball, b/c thats the way it is...unless you're Connie Mack...

It only works in baseball, because that's the only sport where the coaches are allowed onto the field of play.

What ever happened to coaches wearing a suit?
The NFL decided that the coaches must be living mannequins on the sideline during games, and are forced to wear NFL licensed merchandise.

As for a football coach having his own jersey, no. No, no, no, no, NO. Especially for a guy that's only gotten his team to the playoffs once and lost.

Save the slugalo.

I miss the days of the coaches in classy suits. That was football, right there. Nowadays, they all look like old guys wearing bad jogging suits.

Just imagine how good and professional the coaches of today would look, how much more respected they would be and appear.

I'd love to see coaches revert back to this.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I miss the days of the coaches in classy suits. That was football, right there. Nowadays, they all look like old guys wearing bad jogging suits.

Just imagine how good and professional the coaches of today would look, how much more respected they would be and appear.

I'd love to see coaches revert back to this.

Exactly, nowadays you have people like Bill Belichick who look like homeless guys in sweatshirts.

I was at a Reds game over the weekend and the White Sox fan sitting next to me was wearing an Ozzie Guillen jersey. When I was a Yankees fan, I used to think about getting a no. 6 jersey. A successful sports team is much more likely to keep its good coach (see: Terry Francona) than its good players (see: Pedro Martinez). In that way, it makes the most sense to buy a coach's jersey. However, it's also kind of lame.

Of course, this only makes sense in baseball. Until Marvin Lewis suits up, his jersey is pointless and dumb. Of course, people make millions out of selling pointless and dumb merchandise to sports fans on a daily basis.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What ever happened to coaches wearing a suit?
The NFL decided that the coaches must be living mannequins on the sideline during games, and are forced to wear NFL licensed merchandise.

Mike Nolan petitioned the NFL to let him wear a suit on the sideline in homage to his father, Dick Nolan, who also coached the 49ers (in the 70s), but the league turned him down because all sideline apparel has to be made by Reebok, and obviously Reebok doesn't make suits.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Comme...dholm051205.htm

I guess this means the days of the fedora or the houndstooth cap on the sidelines are over too...

landry.jpgbryant.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Damn, that Landry pic puts the fear of God in me. That is how a coach should look.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived