Canadian Senate recommends CBC stop

Stampman

Hmm, maybe now Eastern Canada will join Western Canada in wanting reform or abolish the Senate. :D

It comes later in the article.

So the national broadcaster stops broadcasting the unofficial national sport?

These guys get paid to much and have too much time on their hands.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Communist :cursing: Thats what that sound like to me CBC shoudl broadcast anything it wants the Senate shoudl have no buisness if tehy dont like hockey turn the channel.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm not too familiar with the regular programming on CBC, but it sounds like the report wants CBC to be more of an American PBS-style station. If the CBC does drop hockey and Olympic sports, I'm sure a private network will pick up the coverage. How many national networks are in Canada?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Communist  :cursing:  Thats what that sound like to me CBC shoudl broadcast anything it wants the Senate shoudl have no buisness if tehy dont like hockey turn the channel.

The Senate has every right to recomend what the CBC can brodcast. The CBC is a government run network.

That said, Hockey Night in Canada on CTV or TSN just wouldn't seem right. It would suck to see the NHL leave CBC. But hey, that's not my decision to make.

f the CBC does drop hockey and Olympic sports, I'm sure a private network will pick up the coverage. How many national networks are in Canada?

CTV, Sportsnet, or TSN would probablly be the alternatives.

I heard Bob Cole and Harry Neale were bad this postseason but I didn't know they were that bad. :P

I can't stand them. They're too old to make accurate observations about the game in progress, or even correctly identify which player has the puck. Jim Hughson's so much better.

Communism is a political ideology that seeks to establish a future classless, stateless social organization based upon common ownership of the means of production.

That says nothing about a government reccomending to a governement-run tv station what they should and shouldnt show.

The NHL is a commerical activity and the public station is reccomended to not engage in competitive, commercial endeavors. I think the theory is sound.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Only Problem is that the only canadian TV station I get is CBC, so if it went to TSN or something, I wouldnt be able to watch all those hockey games that Canada shows but OLN doesnt.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Communist  :cursing:  Thats what that sound like to me CBC shoudl broadcast anything it wants the Senate shoudl have no buisness if tehy dont like hockey turn the channel.

The Senate has every right to recomend what the CBC can brodcast. The CBC is a government run network.

That said, Hockey Night in Canada on CTV or TSN just wouldn't seem right. It would suck to see the NHL leave CBC. But hey, that's not my decision to make.

Maybe the Canadian government is just going about it the wrong way. They should just hire monitors to track the content of the shows airing on the CBC and ensure that the content is balanced.

:flagusa:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005Â Â đŸ™ƒ

But Bruce, OUR wonderful administration wouldnt wiretap the people, nor intersept call records, nor publish biased news stories and strongarm the PBS into showing them... that would be communist*

* For the purpose of this sarcastic post, communist is used in the Tank definition, which is: evil.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

First, the CBC, under Chritien's regime, decided to get rid of some of the powerful AM stations (740 in Toronto, 690 and 940 in Montreal). Now, they want of get rid of Hockey Night in Canada??? What is Stephen Harper SMOKING??????

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

First, the CBC, under Chritien's regime, decided to get rid of some of the powerful AM stations (740 in Toronto, 690 and 940 in Montreal). Now, they want of get rid of Hockey Night in Canada??? What is Stephen Harper SMOKING??????

This has absolutely nothing to do with Stephen Harper. The majority of of the senators were appointed by Liberal Prime Ministers

http://www.parl.gc.ca/common/senmemb/senat....asp?Language=E

There has been talk about getting rid of commercials entirely from the CBC and even privatizing the CBC. Yes, that affects Hockey Night because revenues from commericals do, for the most part, pay for the rights fees. The CBC could still have Hockey Night, but much of the rights would have to come from the taxpayer's pockets. The question would then be, would Canadians accept a small hike in taxes, thus giving more funds for the CBC to continue to broadcast Hockey Night in Canada? I'm not what the rights fees the CBC pays. I'm guessing it's not exactly NFL type numbers :D

As for broadcast networks, there is also CanWest Global, but they, like CTV are more interesting in U.S. programming like Survivor, 24, House, Greg's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and what not, than sports (with the exception of Global and the NFL).

I saw, I came, I left.

As for broadcast networks, there is also CanWest Global, but they, like CTV are more interesting in U.S. programming like Survivor, 24, House, Greg's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and what not, than sports (with the exception of Global and the NFL).

Yes, you can definitely rule out Global, as they're not interested in producing sports programming. In fact, Global's NFL broadcasts are nothing more than U.S. simulcasts with their own commercials inserted. Rogers SportsNet is not a major player either; they're mainly interested in regional packages and the Blue Jays.

However, don't quite rule out CTV as they're quickly becoming a major TV sports player in Canada (thanks in part to its sister network, TSN). In the past year, CTV/TSN has obtained rights to the Olympics and curling, not to mention the services of Brian Williams and Chris Cuthbert. And all of this has come at CBC's expense. There have been major rumblings in media circles that CTV/TSN will make a serious bid for NHL TV rights (including HNIC) beginning in 2008-2009. If CTV/TSN were to be successful, that would be THE biggest black eye CBC could ever suffer, and it would likely lead to getting CBC out of the pro sports business--something the Senate recommended in their report.

Chris Zelkovich in Friday's Toronto Star had an interesting column concerning the possibility of HNIC on CTV, and he points out that if CTV/TSN were to become the only major TV sports player, such reduced competition for rights packages would mean decreased rights fees--something the leagues do not want to see.

Has nothing to do with Harper, it's the senate.

CLM-1.png

Chris Zelkovich in Friday's Toronto Star had an interesting column concerning the possibility of HNIC on CTV, and he points out that if CTV/TSN were to become the only major TV sports player, such reduced competition for rights packages would mean decreased rights fees--something the leagues do not want to see.

He makes an excellent point...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Well... You know what, I could've seen this coming miles away.

They have already pulled the plug on any NHL game on CBC's french counter part, SRC, so while I was pissed at them, I didn't understand why CBC was still able to broadcast games. Is it because hockey ain't popular in Quebec anymore?? I doubt so.

Right now, only games broadcasted in French are through RDS, affiliated with CTV. I wouldn't be surprised if CTV/TSN eventually got the hold of all games to be broadcasted in Canada.

Privatisation is the key here... More money.

@NoHoJoe, they didn't shut down radio stations, especially not in Quebec. The CRTC had one frequency left on the FM band, so they merged both AM stations onto that FM signal.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Archived