Super bowl roman numerals

jsmayer181

With the NFL rapidly approaching Super Bowl 40, any thoughts on ditching the roman numerals that would equate to Super Bowl XL?  

I suppose they could go with XXXX throughout the decade, but does anyone think it's time to stop numbering the games and just refer to them by year?

when you say by the year, do you mean, say, Superbowl 2003, for this year?  If so, then no.  I like the Roman Numerals.  They look cool and are nice in the logo. And, obviously, the history is there with R.N.'s. Here are three possibilities:  Superbowl2003, Superbowl XXXVII or Superbowl 37.  Which is best? I still think R.N.'s are the way to go. They are long now, but then you'll shorten them up every 5 years. Thinking about it now, the name "Superbowl" is really stupid.

Roman Numerals are a very cool aspect to the logos. And unless you a dribbling moron, you know what the roman numerals mean. Why change it? it has worked for 35 years (SB I & II were not refered to as such).

Also it gives a sense of Regality to the game. It makes it more special. Many other games try to use the roman numerals now (Arena Bowl for instance), and they do so to try and get the sense of importance, the sense of prestige, the the Super Bowl already has.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

u all are forgeting a really good reason for the roman numerals. using the year would be confusing. this year was the 2002 NFL season, yet the superbowl is in 2003. so, when would superbowl 2003 take place? and who would be considered the 2003 champions? because of the whole confusion with the years i think the roman numerals work great.

plus it makes it so kick@$$.

Azzuri.gif

I wonder what Don Cheadle thinks about this...  :)

The time for the NFL to have made the move would've been the year 2000, but my suspicion is that someday the roman numerals will go away in favor of what they do with the world series (when they hold it) and certain bowl games.  It'll just be referred to as the "53rd Super Bowl" or some such thing.

nav-logo.png

Roman numerals are a part of the Super Bowl tradition.  My guess is that they will probably use a "50" and the Roman numeral L.  Perhaps a "50" superimposed (no pun intended) over a golden L.  I'm sure somewhere in a cublicle at NFL Properties there's someone working on it right now.  I'll be 47 when the big game rolls around, so I'm in no hurry to see what they wind up doing. The only thing I can say with much certainty is that the halftime show will last 2 hours and likely suck.

My guess is that they will probably use a "50" and the Roman numeral L.  Perhaps a "50" superimposed (no pun intended) over a golden L.  

Which will make everyone up here think the game is being sponsored by Labatt's 50 Ale.

Mmmmm....50 ale...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• 1 month later...

Archived