Rams jersey question

Slater

During the years when the LA/St. Louis Rams wore their older jerseys (with the ram's horn sleeve design), did the horn's overall shape/dimensions stay consistent or were there any slight variations?

The horn style jerseys debuted in 1973 when they added gold (yellow) back to their color scheme. They were used through the 1999 season; the last time they were worn was their Super Bowl win in 2000.

In terms of dimensions, as long as the player had some type of sleeve they stayed pretty much the same - for example, Kurt Warner wore decent-length sleeves when he was there; the horns on his jersey weren't that much smaller than they would be on a 1970s jersey. However, as sleeves began to shrink and disappear, the ram horn was made smaller to fit on however much material was there, so by the time the 1990s ended the size varied by player/position based on the length of their sleeves. At minimum, the horn had to be large enough to wrap around a fairly small TV number; the TV numbers didn't move to the shoulders until the current jersey (well, current except for changing the number font in 2001 and removing the side panels in 2002) debuted for the 2000 season.

So, did the Rams use the block number font in 2000??

Yes, they did...and then changed the font for the following season.

Although when the jerseys were unveiled they had the current number font and not the block font. All the replica jerseys have been sold with the current number font since the new uniforms were introduced.

I'm not sure why they waited a year to put the font on the actual game jerseys. I've heard that the players wanted some tie to the uniforms of their Super Bowl season the year before. Though, the block font in the 2000 season was different from the block font of the previous uniforms if I recall correctly.

Archived