Agassi Plans to Retire After U.S. Open

brinkeguthrie

He's hoping to end his career like Pete Sampras. Win at the U.S. Open.

It was great to see him bounce back, become more mature and actually win the career grand slam, which is very hard to do. Very few players have ever done that in men's tennis. He's been struggling with injuries lately and figures this will be it. Kudos to Agassi. Here's to an enjoyable reitrement.

I saw, I came, I left.

I did the stadium announcing at the ATP Championships in Cincinnati for several years- got to sit with Cliff Drysdale, Fred Stolle, Mary Carillo, and Andre's coach at the time, Nick Bolletieri. What insight THAT guy had/has.

But this was at the height of his neon-Nike rock star status- and when he would come onto court, the teenage girls would go simply bonkers. So I would play it up dramatically.

"And in the north court, currently ranked #X, from Las Vegas, nevada, please welcome, the #X seed...AHN-Dray.......................................................................................(long pause so the screams hit fever pitch)..........AGG A SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Great fun.

As an aside, during a Boris Becker match, some really nasty thunderstorms rolled in. Pitch black, say your prayers August Midwest powered by humidity killer storms.

As Becker was winding up the match, the chairman handed me a note and said read this NOW. During play! You only spoke during odd-game changeovers.

So I had to read about how 'the stadium has lightning rod receptors, please use caution, whatever', and Becker STOPPED HIS SERVICE MOTION and STARED RIGHT AT ME. I just shrugged and pointed to the guy wearing the official blazer.

Two more points and the match was over, but still, if looks coulda killed, I wouldn't be typing this.

Archived