OHL's Major move?

zer0dotcom

Reading an article in the Tornto Sun yesterday, rumours are that the OHL might have teams on the move again, in a very complicated way.

Apparently (rumours, rumours) Melnyk, the owner of the St. Mike's Majors is looking at purchasing the Mississauga Icedogs. The plan would then involve moving the Majors into the Hersey Center, and then relocating the Icedogs into a new city.

The Sun's speculations are that it would be a market in New York state, possibly Rochester or Albany. however, it also stated that North Bay is a possible destination, as they still have the OHL ready Memorial Gardens (currently home to the Skyhawks junior team) North Bay lost the Centennials to Saginaw in 2002 to reasons OTHER than lack of fan support.

I caught the last couple of games that the Cents played in North Bay, kind of exciting to specualte they could get a team back. The article stated that both the Icedogs and Majors would not be moved prior to the 2006-2007 season. It sucks because I'll be done school and moved out of North Bay before a team could conceivably be moved in, but exciting for the City to try to get a team back

source: http://www.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/200...649240-sun.html

I spent some time on the very interesting OHL Arena Guide (I forgot your name, member who runs it, but OHL is in your name. great site!), and man, that St. Mike's rink is not suitable for anything but practice. The OHL is in like every GTA city already; they don't REALLY need a Toronto team. Does Toronto even care about the AHL Marlies? There's no OHL team around St. Catharine's or Niagara Falls, so maybe that could work.

p.s.: Owen Sound, wtf

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

I think the OHL could do very well here in Rochester although they'd be competting against the AHL's Americans. I'd certainly check out 10+ games or so.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

I think the OHL could do very well here in Rochester although they'd be competting against the AHL's Americans. I'd certainly check out 10+ games or so.

ROCHitman - How do you think this would affect RIT hockey? Are they in their own little world, with students, etc? I know with their move to D-I last year, that they are trying to increase poularity in the area. Certainly, an OLH team would be the last think the Tigers would like to see move to town...

Moose

ROCHitman - How do you think this would affect RIT hockey? Are they in their own little world, with students, etc? I know with their move to D-I last year, that they are trying to increase poularity in the area. Certainly, an OLH team would be the last think the Tigers would like to see move to town...

Moose

I think adding an O team to Rochester could only hurt RIT.

They are slowly gaining a fanbase aside from students (I've been to a few games).

If another hockey team comes into town, especially one with a congruent schedule,

some fans may elect to watch those games instead of RIT games.

Then again, seeing that both teams will have similarly skilled players (juniors/colelge), fans may support the O and RIT equally.

I don't see the Americans (AHL) being affected too much if at all.

They have a long standing traditon in this town and nearly everyone's been to a game at some point. They'll still be the major hockey draw.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Doesn't St. Catharines have a decent arena to be used as a stopgap? Anything is better than the St. Mike's College Arena.

I spent some time on the very interesting OHL Arena Guide (I forgot your name, member who runs it, but OHL is in your name. great site!), and man, that St. Mike's rink is not suitable for anything but practice. The OHL is in like every GTA city already; they don't REALLY need a Toronto team. Does Toronto even care about the AHL Marlies? There's no OHL team around St. Catharine's or Niagara Falls, so maybe that could work.

is that an anti owen sound statement or a pro owen sound statement? doesn't matter either way just curious.

is that an anti owen sound statement or a pro owen sound statement? doesn't matter either way just curious.

I was shocked that such a small town had a team. That's cool that they do, though.

Its a sad day for hockey. The most famous Leafs farm team prior to the Expansion Era of 1967 is leaving Toronto. This is a team who put most of Toronto's biggest names into the blue and white jerseys. Its sad to see this happen, a piece of hockey history being destroyed by a man who holds a grudge against Toronto for not selling him Maple Leaf Gardens. May the Majors Rest In Peace and the players it helped turn into future super stars mourn this loss. The biggest player developmental rival to Montreal's Peterborough Petes will be sadly missed.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Its a sad day for hockey. The most famous Leafs farm team prior to the Expansion Era of 1967 is leaving Toronto. This is a team who put most of Toronto's biggest names into the blue and white jerseys. Its sad to see this happen, a piece of hockey history being destroyed by a man who holds a grudge against Toronto for not selling him Maple Leaf Gardens. May the Majors Rest In Peace and the players it helped turn into future super stars mourn this loss. The biggest player developmental rival to Montreal's Peterborough Petes will be sadly missed.

Yeah, it is quite a surprise now. I assume that they will be keeping their name, and 'sauga isn't that far of a move really, still GTA at least.

Now start the rumour mill on where teh icedogs will end up. Personally, I'm pulling for North Bay. I was at the last Cents game, the town loved that team and did raise the money to buy the team, the owner just didn't want them anymore and sold to someone else.

Memorial Gardens could use some work, but it's still a capable facility for a Minor laague team. I just wish i would still be in town should they get a team, it gets boring up there some days without. Plus, it would help the division with the Soo and Sudbury, North bay is between them and the rest of Ontario, you'd have the northern roadtrip again for the weekend. NB on Friday, Subdury on Saturday, The Soo on Sunday, or even throw Saginaw in there. Without them, there has been a big gap between teh Soo and the Wolves and the rest of the province.

Yeah, it is quite a surprise now. I assume that they will be keeping their name, and 'sauga isn't that far of a move really, still GTA at least.

Now start the rumour mill on where teh icedogs will end up. Personally, I'm pulling for North Bay. I was at the last Cents game, the town loved that team and did raise the money to buy the team, the owner just didn't want them anymore and sold to someone else.

Memorial Gardens could use some work, but it's still a capable facility for a Minor laague team. I just wish i would still be in town should they get a team, it gets boring up there some days without. Plus, it would help the division with the Soo and Sudbury, North bay is between them and the rest of Ontario, you'd have the northern roadtrip again for the weekend. NB on Friday, Subdury on Saturday, The Soo on Sunday, or even throw Saginaw in there. Without them, there has been a big gap between teh Soo and the Wolves and the rest of the province.

I just read on TSN that they will be the Mississauga St. Michael's Majors. As long as they keep the identity the same I'll be happy. Its a shame MLSE wouldn't let them share a lease in the Ricoh because it could support both the Marlies and Mikes. MLG would have cost too much to refurnish and maintain for just an OHL team. I guess the team was forced into this situation through bad luck. I have heard North Bay could be getting the Ice Dogs which would be great for the fans there. Another possibility could be Hamilton or even Niagra Falls, as the TSN article proposed. I will be following the developments of this deal because I am curious about how the OHL landscape in Toronto will change. I'm can understand why the OHL allowed this move, it is better than letting the team die out in that bomb shelter of an arena...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

As a casual OHL fan, my lovely wife is from Bellville, if the Arena were the Majors play is and was inadiquate why did they expand there 10 years back? That seems kinda silly to me.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Personally, I can't see myself or too many Mississaugans supporting the Majors in Mississauga moreso than the support IceDogs have been getting. The problem is that the team indirectly represents a school based in Toronto. St. Michael's school is in Toronto and the team should be based in Toronto. What's next? An Upper Canada College team based in Brampton?

If anything the name that should have returned to the OHL is the Marlboroughs/Marlies.

After the '06-'07 season I will either support the relocated Mississauga team or the Brampton Batallion. It would depend on where the IceDogs go and what their identity package will look like.

Could St. Mike's Arena expand? Yes, it is possible, but I hear it would have been way too costly because of the complexity of the reconstruction and there isn't much room to expand even a few hundred seats let alone a couple thousand.

I saw, I came, I left.

The St. Mike's team currently in the OHL is NOT the same St. Mike's team that fed the Maple Leafs. That team left the OHA in 1961 and became a team in what Major Junior A is now. The current team is an expansion team that started in 1996.

The current Petes team however is the same team from the OHA era.

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

The St. Mike's team currently in the OHL is NOT the same St. Mike's team that fed the Maple Leafs. That team left the OHA in 1961 and became a team in what Major Junior A is now. The current team is an expansion team that started in 1996.

The current Petes team however is the same team from the OHA era.

neon is a very new sports fan ^_^

BTW, the current Majors began play in 1997/98.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived