"they should give me a tip for that."

fiasco!

Just think. This manager made a spectacle of himself and he gets a $1000 fine. Mark Cuban simply barks at a ref and he gets a quarter million dollar fine. I guess fines are handed out based on net worth now.

What do you do though, when a manager turns out a full bore 10 minute 2-year old-like temper tantrum? Think of yourself as the owner of a company, sports franchise or not. One of your managers goes on a similar rampage over something they see as being unjust but ultimately is very minor an infraction. Now you have to think to yourself, what the hell is this guy doing in this position? He obviously can't handle the emotional stress that comes with it. He can't handle himself professionally. So what good is he to you?

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

I wonder if Ashville will give him a bonus for all the extra publicity they got because of it.

By the way, you guys see Phil Garner's chair toss last night? A thing of beauty.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Hey guys, maybe it's a publicity stunt. Now people are gonna go to Tourists games to see if that kuh-razy skipper is gonna flip his lid like he did on Sportscenter. The Veecks have done crazier stunts than this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Such venom, JR. Good gravy, man.

Anyway, I honestly don't care about the tantrum. Sure he showed up the umps, but it's an ugly part of baseball, just like throwing at people. Any sport where managers/coaches are allowed to enter the field of play and completely disrupt the game by actually arguing with officials deserves for events like this to happen. He should have been suspended for a game or two tops. He went above and beyond the typical norm. The length of the tirade and the throwing of the base/bats necessitate the suspension, but 7 games is just ludicrous. You can't throw stuff on the field, plain and simple.

I don't understand how people think it's "cool" though. If a pitcher who had been getting squeezed all night or a batter victimized by a horrible called 3rd strike to end the game went off like this, he would have been suspended for 25-50 games, and called every name in the book...including a couple that JR used to describe some of the previous posters. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I don't think it's "cool," really. It's kind of amusing in a schadenfreude way that this putz was hamming it up as much as he was. Besides, it's just Single-A baseball. The integrity of the sport hasn't been too bruised by this incident.

Last night on ESPN's "Baseball Tonight" they were talking about the incident. While all 3 anchors (Jeff Brantley, Orel Hershiser and some other guy) all thought it was funny to watch, they all agreed that the coach went way over the line and should be suspended. They all felt that the manager's demonstration was counterintuitive because it lowered the bar as to what is acceptable behavior and what isn't. They felt that by witnessing the tantrum, it can put bad ideas into a player's head about becoming more demonstrative or demanding in an argument, whether it's on the field or off.

The purpose of a Single-A coach is to groom the players and help them get better so they can work they way up through the system, hopefully to reach the Majors. It's not to win a championship. If a team has strong players, more than likely they will get sent up. A coach can certainly protest a call here or there during a game, and there may be arguments that result in ejections. But this was way beyond a simple argument, the coach snapped, and it will live forever in YouTube land for all to see.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well, I won't entirely disagree. It is funny to see him belly flop into second, throw the base, cover home plate, then clean it again.

The in-your-face confrontations are scary.

Like I said before, it's funny in the Majors, because it's mostly give-and-take. But in the Minors, when it's crazyass managers against stonefaced Borg-like umpires (it's a collective...they're all clones), it's a little frightening.

Like I said before, it's funny in the Majors, because it's mostly give-and-take. But in the Minors, when it's crazyass managers against stonefaced Borg-like umpires (it's a collective...they're all clones), it's a little frightening.

That's the best part in my opinion. Yelling in someone's face and having them stand there like nothing is happenning is an even bigger and more hilarious lampooning than his stupid base-throwing.

Actually, I think umpires who demonstrate such calmness and and discipline would be an asset to the majors, where we have asshats like Angel Hernandez and C.B. Bucknor who instigate fights with players and managers so they can do a big drawn-out ejection.

Actually, I think umpires who demonstrate such calmness and and discipline would be an asset to the majors, where we have asshats like Angel Hernandez and C.B. Bucknor who instigate fights with players and managers so they can do a big drawn-out ejection.

Again, no arguments about that.

I just don't want to see wooden soldiers out there.

Archived