UL Monroe Marks to be Unveiled Today

meetthemets

New Warhawks ready to take flight

By Michael Kern

mkern@thenewsstar.com

Since Louisiana-Monroe announced Warhawks as the school's official mascot name on April 5, students, faculty, and fans have all speculated about what the logo might look like.

Is it going to be a bird? A plane?

They'll get their answer at 4 p.m. today at a ceremony in Fant-Ewing Coliseum when ULM reveals the new logo designed by Ohio-based Rickabaugh Graphics.

ULM Mascot Committee members have said the logo has been designed around a maroon hawk with gold and red tails on a military-style patch. There will also be a secondary design with a hawk holding a lightning bolt in its talons.

The school is doing its best to keep the final design, which was approved by the mascot committee earlier this month, under wraps until today's big unveiling. Even most of the athletes haven't seen the final design yet.

"You hear a lot of rumors in the locker room, but nobody knows exactly what to expect," said sophomore Kinsmon Lancaster, who finished the spring at the top of ULM's football depth chart.

Lancaster liked the idea of a hawk-based mascot and said he thought a change of mascot could be good for athletics at the school.

LaJeanna Howard, a guard on the ULM women's basketball team, agreed that the change was fitting with the transition to a new conference. The junior added that she doesn't care whether the logo is based around a hawk or the Warhawk P-40 plane just as long as it looks tough.

"I just hope that it will be something that when you look at it, it looks mean," Howard said. "I want it to be something students wear on their T-shirts and are really proud."

ULM will get a quick read as to just how much fans embrace the new logo at today's event. The athletic department will have Warhawks merchandise available for purchase in Fant-Ewing Coliseum.

Fans won't get a look, however, at new uniforms or football helmet designs.

ULM athletic director Bobby Staub said back in March that there wasn't enough time for the athletic department to order Warhawk uniforms to be ready for the Sept. 2 opener against Alcorn State. Instead the school will have to alter existing uniforms to remove Indian imagery.

"You aren't necessarily going to have a Warhawk (logo) on the front of a football uniform," Staub said in addressing the delay in a meeting with The News-Star editorial board last week. "I think we're going to have (the word) 'Warhawks' on the front of the jersey. ... Our winter sports and our spring sports have a little more time, but our fall sports ? that's where the crunch is."

The next step in the process is removing Indian imagery from campus, especially athletic facilities.

Parts of Malone Stadium like the elevator shaft that says, "ULM Indians" or the facing of the upperdeck that says, "Indian Territory" must be repainted, so must the dugouts at Indian Field and the floor at Fant Ewing Coliseum.

There are all kinds of smaller ticket items beyond that like stationery and business cards that also must be changed.

"We've basically come up with a laundry list of these athletic things that have to be addressed," Staub said. "And some will be addressed before Sept. 2 when we kickoff. The ones that we are most concerned with (right now) are things that are viewed by the public, day-in and day-out."

I'm actually pretty excited about this.

I'm interested in seeing how they will translate this:

ULM Mascot Committee members have said the logo has been designed around a maroon hawk with gold and red tails on a military-style patch. There will also be a secondary design with a hawk holding a lightning bolt in its talons.

and not make it look like this:

AirFo_2742.gif

I do like the bird head but honestly, I think that Rickabaugh is starting to fall into the same black hole as Phoenix in that a lot of their work is starting to look the same. I like their work but it just seems to be getting to the point where there is less and less creativity going on over there. Just my opinion.

They are the Warhawks now? What happened to Indians?

There must be a trend going on. Everytime a team changed their mascot from an indian, they change it to a bird mascot. :shocked:

it's better than Bayou Aviators ;)

overall, I like it, but prefer the pilot warhawk to the flying one.

BILLS2005:

To answer your question I know somewhere on this site the dept. did not have enough time to have totally brand new uniforms that incorpprate these logos for the 2006 season. I did see that it should just be a plain ULM on the helmet with a WARHAWKS wordmark under the jersey collar. Hope that helps some.

As for my opinion on the new look, I like the logo with the badge backdrop the best and I like the slightly different shade of red used with this design. I had more of the avaiation spin in my mind with the logos floating in my head rather than using an actual hawk, but this does not look bad. It will work. It is funny tho METS, I was just wondering the same thing about the war connotation. I bet they'll be down to just ULM Hawks in a few decades.

I wonder how long it will be before they decide that the "war" in Warhawks is too offensive. You know that day is coming.

I think Indians is far less offensive than Warhawks. I am fine with using Indians, names of tribes, etc. so long as its done tastefully. For example, the ULM using the feather as part of their old logo was fine with me, but the Cleveland Indians using Chief Wahoo, not so much. The Redskins are the opposite. The logo is very classy and respectful, but the name is rediculous. In terms of Warhawks, i get why they used the name, but I am sure they could have found another aviation related moniker instead. I don't know it just doesn't feel right to me, not for a college team.

Who did this one? The style looks like Barnes or a few others from the board.

I'm flattered, but no, it's definitely a Rickabaugh. They have a style that sets them apart, and they seem to have followed it again with this package. I know people may think that their work is starting to all look very similar, but I think it's because it is just good sports logo design. The NCAA could do a lot worse than have a bunch of Rickabaugh logos out there, that's for sure.

Archived