Edmonton Oilers Logo History

Anton

Hello everyone,

I've been looking into the origins of the Alberta / Edmonton Oilers original logo, and I need some help. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows the name of the person or firm who designed the original logo. I know that there is a connection to Gulf Oil (indeed the Oilers colours are those of Gulf Oil, and that the original uniform design was completed before Gulf pulled out of the deal), but does anyone know who did the logo artwork. Todd McFarlane did the third jersey logos for he team, but who did the original?

Peace,

Anton Brereton

Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA

I don't know if anybody here can give you an answer, but have you considered contacting the team? Maybe they'd have it in their records or have somebody who's been with the organization long enough to know who designed the logo.

Believe it or not, I think I read somewhere that Bill Hunter, who started the team, thought it up. I don't know if he actually drew the final version, but I know that he had a big hand in it.

That's what I've heard as well. When Bill Hunter died, there was a write up about him that suggested he chose the colors and designed the logo. I don't remember where that was though (could have been in the Edmonton Sun).

Have you tried the Oilers Heritage site? I haven't been there for a while, but there may be something there. Here's a link.

Archived