New Sabres Logo??

gbasalmon

I dare say that I'm in a very small minority of people who like it.

If I had to offer up one more comparison, I'd say San Diego Chargers, only this is already better than the Chargers.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If these are real:

Things I like:

1)Return to blue & yellow/gold

2)The Sabres logo being leaked early is sure to irk Mr. O'Grady

Things I don't like:

No sabres! That was the problem with the goat head. If this is it, it's just the same problem re-packaged.

The "head" part of the Buffalo is a good start for me, but the Nike swoosh-like body definitely needs to be changed to a more life-like complete buffalo body (or eliminated entirely; just showing a buffalo head)!

Oh, and like so many others have said, the logo HAS to have a Sabre(s) in it.

The Sabres management and marketing staff have to be some of the biggest idiots in sports. At the draft they could have unveiled their logo and already put their jerseys on sale. With the solid run they had in the playoffs and the emergence of Briere as a solid captain and Miller as the #1 for years to come, they could have sold plenty of jerseys.

You don't know what you're talking about with regards to the Sabres' management and marketing staff.

They are trying to maximize revenues by capitalizing on their playoff run by selling merchandise with their current logo (and to help blow out the current stock before the new logo unveiling) plus they are trying to build some excitement for the new look for the Sabres. One of the ways you build excitement is to wait until the most amount of people will be interested in your product before you unveil it. Only diehards are interested in hockey in late June. It's best to wait until September when people are getting antsy for the start of the NHL season and then create a frenzy for the new look.

The Sabres' merchandise market is relatively small so they are going to have a pre-season logo/jersey roll out much in the same manner that the Calgary Flames did with their red home jersey and black flaming C in 2003. Get the fans hyped about the new logo and uniform right before the season and they will buy more through jersey preordering, etc.

I pray the staff over there is not this stupid ... I really hope and pray.

With that said, I'm going with a smoke and mirrors vote on this one for a few reasons.

This looks like a rejected logo that may have been included in a concepting phase. The left side of the buffalo has an unfinished point, which is cropped off .. this, to me, is a sign of a rushed piece without the attention to detail included.

Also, the color names below are simply Buffalo Sabres Blue, Buffalo Sabres Gold, etc ... typically a creative team puts together a series of different swatch names to choose from, and thus the colors have much more unique names to them. (this is absolutely not a rule ... but it happens pretty regularly).

This is not even considering the complete and total mediocrity of the logo itself. I can believe that in no way would this get through the vetting process to make THIS an NHL logo to replace a previously iconic mark (the original sabres logo), or the current one in which the illustration caliber is lightyears beyond this.

Sillier things have happened, but every piece of logic tells me this is either somebody uninvolved, or the creative team itself allowing the public to focus on a mediocre garbage logo so as to allow the proper higher quality logo to shine through in the end.

Or maybe its just wishful thinking.

I pray the staff over there is not this stupid ... I really hope and pray.

With that said, I'm going with a smoke and mirrors vote on this one for a few reasons.

This looks like a rejected logo that may have been included in a concepting phase. The left side of the buffalo has an unfinished point, which is cropped off .. this, to me, is a sign of a rushed piece without the attention to detail included.

Also, the color names below are simply Buffalo Sabres Blue, Buffalo Sabres Gold, etc ... typically a creative team puts together a series of different swatch names to choose from, and thus the colors have much more unique names to them. (this is absolutely not a rule ... but it happens pretty regularly).

This is not even considering the complete and total mediocrity of the logo itself. I can believe that in no way would this get through the vetting process to make THIS an NHL logo to replace a previously iconic mark (the original sabres logo), or the current one in which the illustration caliber is lightyears beyond this.

Sillier things have happened, but every piece of logic tells me this is either somebody uninvolved, or the creative team itself allowing the public to focus on a mediocre garbage logo so as to allow the proper higher quality logo to shine through in the end.

Or maybe its just wishful thinking.

This pretty much sums up my current feeling on the whole thing right now, too. My gut tells me this is some sort of intentional smoke screen (especially in the wake of the Ducks logo being leaked, it could be a sort of marketing "countermeasure") or just a clever fake. That could be my wishful thinking talking, but... that's what I'm telling myself.

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

This is not true... all nhl... and maybe even every leagues stylesheets list the colours as "Team Name Colour"

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

This is not true... all nhl... and maybe even every leagues stylesheets list the colours as "Team Name Colour"

thats true Chris .. I was forgetting that this is the "official stylesheet", not an internal doc ... scratch that point completely then.

These are beyond bad. This is one of the worst logos in all of sports.

But what ticks me off more than the horrible logo is the colors. The Sabres should be blue and yellow, as they used to be. Not navy and yellow. To me, the red and black is better, at least they didn't pretend to be honoring tradition with that look. This whole "we need to UPDATE the old colors" movement is bull :censored:. You don't need to update colors like that. Navy is not an update on royal blue. It doesn't make it look cool or modern. If a royal blue jersey is done right, it will sell as much or more than the crap they are about to roll out. I'm sure a good amount of the Sabres' diehards are upset about the colors, too. These colors are not Buffalo Sabres. The logo is not Buffalo Sabres.

These are mindblowingly bad. Absolutely horrible.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Hi all,

I'm a Rangers fan in Sabres territory. First off, I'm not totally appalled by the design. However, I think since most have been spoiled by js' great concepts, anything that comes out is going to seem "second-rate."

I'd like to see how it looks on the jersey before making a final decision. I'm not use to the Ducks new logo yet, but it's growing on me. I would have like to have seen just the webbed-foot "D" as the front jersey logo.

I do hope that the Sabres find a better Buffalo for the front! And I wish the crossed blades were on there. :hockeysmiley:

If that logo is indeed real, I really hope it was leaked to gauge fan reaction. Seeing that reaction is overwhelmingly negative, I hope the Sabres have the good sense to go back to the drawing board -- or better yet, 1995. That would easily solve their problems here.

couldn't agree more with this

and thanks for the compliment RangerJas. I've already gotten quite a few emails from people asking me why I wouldn't sell my designs to the Sabres, and why I was asking so much for them, etc. And the truth is I have not heard one word from the club since meeting with them years ago, right after Golisano came in as owner. So, that discussion can end.

Another sign, to me at least, is the red print over the stylesheets.

Anaheim's has a full date (June 21, 2006; and the date is wrong) on theirs but the Sabres' only has Sept. 2006, you'd think the NHL could be able to be more specific.

Ducks "official" stylesheet

Sabres "official" stylesheet

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

*sigh*

If I meet you at Hartbrook Lanes for a beer or two, could you say more than that?!?

OOOOH OOOH!

Me too!

Count me in as well (might as well take advantage of the Milwaukee-area connection)...

QPR%20Sig.png

Hell, I'll drive up from Chicago for this stuff. CCSLC Lake Michigan Chapter Unite!

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived