New NBA Ball?

Carter23

Here is an official picture

17pb2.jpg

Well I guess it's not as bad as I originally thought, you will still have the lines going across the ball which are basically the only ones that I really take notice of when I'm playing. They just dont meet on opposite sides.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't seem like too big of a deal. The lines are all the same except they don't intersect at the poles of the ball. Most players if given a choice would shoot with their fingers perpendicular across multiple lines as opposed to the intersection of the lines.

its not that big of a deal guys stop being so dramatic

This is a sports logos message board. If you can't be overdramatic about a new NBA ball here, where exactly should you?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

This is a sports logos message board. If you can't be overdramatic about a new NBA ball here, where exactly should you?

On a sports balls message board.

Save the slugalo.

On a sports balls message board.

Catch the next edition of Stephen Colbert's

BALLS FOR KIDZ!

If indeed the big surprise IS a newly designed Basketball- and it is made of a "synthetic" material instead of leather...

...Do you think a synthetic Football would be far behind for College and NFL Football???

...all the major football brands (Wilson, Rawlings, Spaulding, Nike, etc.) offer a lot of models made of synthetics. Most claim it makes for a better ball for two reasons. 1. The "Tackified" material/texture provides a much more secure grip (anyone who has picked one up easily notices this). 2. The construction allows for a much better weight distribution/balance and consistent shape allowing for a truer and tighter spiral.

Not trying to change the thread off of basketball, it was just one of the first thoughts that entered my mind once the suggestion of a new basketball might very well be the surprise hidden in the magic NBA black box.

ok...so i did a quick update for the heck of it of the pacers if they did change the logo to fit the new ball

iicckk....

relpacersnewlogo8ut.jpg

eewww...

it does seem like cingular will get tons of free advertisement too bad for t mobile their current phone endorsement

ATL

Too bad Cingular is going to soon be absorbed back into the AT&T/SBC universe.

Bah! Just beat me to it.

As for the lines, I don't know that it's going to change much. It might feel a little funny if that area comes up in the palm of your hand or touches your fingertips, but I think in the heat of a game, you wouldn't notice. Plus, I don't know about anyone else, but I never use that end of the ball when I shoot. Hell, if anything, I'll line the heart of the ball up with my fingertips for free throws, but not for anything else and certainly not on the intersection.

If indeed the big surprise IS a newly designed Basketball- and it is made of a "synthetic" material instead of leather...

...Do you think a synthetic Football would be far behind for College and NFL Football???

...all the major football brands (Wilson, Rawlings, Spaulding, Nike, etc.) offer a lot of models made of synthetics.  Most claim it makes for a better ball for two reasons.  1. The "Tackified" material/texture provides a much more secure grip (anyone who has picked one up easily notices this).  2. The construction allows for a much better weight distribution/balance and consistent shape allowing for a truer and tighter spiral.

Not trying to change the thread off of basketball, it was just one of the first thoughts that entered my mind once the suggestion of a new basketball might very well be the surprise hidden in the magic NBA black box.

I have used about every kind of football you can find (Wilson NFL, 1001, 1005, 1201, 1205, various synthetics; Nike 3005, 2000, 1500), and though synthetics grip well under ordinary conditions, they tend to be more slippery than leather when they get wet. So if your hands are sweaty, there's dew on the grass, or it's raining/snowing, a leather ball would be preferrable, which is why I don't see the NFL or NCAA approving a fully synthetic ball. I have yet to try the Wilson GST 1003 or 1004 leather balls with sewn on synthetic stripes and black laces, but I'm dying to get a hold of one to see how that combination works.

As far as synthetic ones go, the Nike 1500 (the one with actual sewn seams) is a great throwing ball--I could wing it 60 yards consistantly. It's the perfect ball for throwing on the pavement in order to save your leather ball from your college roommates who don't seem to know that leather and pavement don't work well together. My 1500 lasted through 5 years of pickup football games on the floodlit parking lots by the Marriott Center at BYU.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived