Hope yet!

ZapRowsdower8

So I was listening to ESPN radio this morning (1250AM here in PGH) when they said that in an interview to air today on the Mark Madden Show (3pm) one of the leading canidates to buy the Pens, a New York business man whose name escapes me for the moment, reveals two of his partners to buy the team. Those partners... DAN MARINO and MARK CUBAN! Things are looking good that the team is staying in Pittsburgh. (Knock on wood)

So I was listening to ESPN radio this morning (1250AM here in PGH) when they said that in an interview to air today on the Mark Madden Show (3pm) one of the leading canidates to buy the Pens, a New York business man whose name escapes me for the moment, reveals two of his partners to buy the team. Those partners... DAN MARINO and MARK CUBAN! Things are looking good that the team is staying in Pittsburgh. (Knock on wood)

If Cuban buys the Penguins, you better be ready for a moderistic overhaul with the identity (like what he did with the Mavs.)

Wasn't there a rumor in the past that Cuban was to purchase the Pittsburgh Pirates at one time?

If Cuban buys the Penguins, you better be ready for a moderistic overhaul with the identity (like what he did with the Mavs.)

Wasn't there a rumor in the past that Cuban was to purchase the Pittsburgh Pirates at one time?

does that mean we are to be looking forward to the Pittsburgh Mavericks?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Great just what the league needs another NBA/NHL owner. :rolleyes:

To me it not good to have many owners that own both an NBA team and an NHL team. It' different from someone owning a baseball team and a hockey team and a football team because the NHL, MLB, and NFL don't directly comepete against each other. The NBA and NHL by virtue of having their season and playoffs at the same time directly compete against each other for fan dollars. I think the NHL needs to market itself as the anti-NBA as a game that is better than basketball (which it is). By having several cross owners and a commissioner that worked for the NBA that is never going to happen because it's going to hurt the other side of the owners buisness.

I understand why it happens because of Arenas and there are only so few people that are rich enough to own a pro sports team. That said I don't like it to me owning both an NBA and NHL team is like owning large shares of both Pepsi and Coke.

I have also heard rumors of Mark Cuban buying the Pirates or even the Chicago Cubs. Regardless, doesn't the approval of slot machines still muct occur for someone to even think that keeping a team in PIT is a viable ecomonic option?

Cuban, with his attention to statistics, is a natural fit for baseball, and is the only guy that can fix the Cubs, an organization that still believes you need "good athletes."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I wish that Cuban would buy the Pirates. The McClatchy clan turned a great and proud franchise into a laughing stock. It would be great if there was some way to force the sale. In the meantime I will continue my boycott of all McClatchy owned newspapers, especially the Sacramento Bee.

Andy Murstein (the New York businessman -president of Medallion Financial Group) would be principal owner. From what I understand, Marino and Cuban would be investors with little to do with day-to-day activities. Murstein contacted the both of them in an attempt to get thier backing. This may be a ploy to get Lemieux Group LP to award them with the sale of the franchise under the premise of the team staying in Pittsburgh. That aside, I do feel 90% better about the Pens staying put.

As a Pens fan, any kind of stability i welcome, but i really don't want to ever see that name "Mark Cuban" attatched to any of my favourite team's potential investor's list. Ever. Yes he's passionate about his teams, but this guy doesn't mind trading talent to get high priced vets or whatever to get a winning team now.

Thank god he is being brought in as a minority investor and not a majority investor with stock in majority ownership and control.

That would just be straight up brutal.

Now if only those idiots who keep saying move the Penguins to Winnipeg or Quebec had a brain, why would any fan want a team's fanbase to go through what they did? I say hope and pray for an expansion team...don't be wishing a current franchise with a ton of history to just up and leave.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I heard Bill Wirtz was going to buy the Penguins. I guess he's looking to acquire an NHL team.

buuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrnn

Hey, remember a few months ago when there was that rumor of Reinsdorf buying the Blackhawks and Wirtz buying the Cubs? Was that scary or what?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 3 weeks later...

The Isle of Capris was at first the competitor for the slots license that was the only one with a real dedication to the new arena.

However, latest news is that the other two competitors agreed to a "Plan B" deal so whoever wins gets 26 million towards a new arena, which they could start designing and building as early as next summer. So, basically, it all comes down to is, if someone buys the pens who wants to keep them here, then they should be able to stay.

Be smart, Mario. Sell it to the right guy.

Theres hope, pens fans. Theres hope.

oBIgzrL.png

Yes he's passionate about his teams, but this guy doesn't mind trading talent to get high priced vets or whatever to get a winning team now.

er...

http://www.nba.com/news/survey_age_2005.html

NBA Average Age: 26.701 years

Dallas Mavericks: 27.177 years

Dallas is a smidge above the league average in terms of age, and when you go behind the numbers, many of their important players are young (Devin Harris anyone?). What puts their number above the league average is Darryl Armstrong's 36 years of age. Take that out, and they fall below the league average.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Alright, I'm going to come clean here and say that, despite the fact that I have a soft spot for the Pirates, I HATE Pittsburgh sports teams. Even more, I am annoyed by Pittsburgh sports fans. That being said, I am TOTALLY pulling for the Pens to stay in Pittsburgh. Part of it is selfish, as one of the places being bounced around as a possible relocation site for them is Hamilton, Ontario, which would be absolutely DISASTEROUS for my Sabres, as we count on a lot of Southern Ontario fans. But also because Pittsburgh has a bit of history. The town, when the team is not abysmal, seems to appreciate hockey, they have a couple of Stanley Cups, the whole Lemieux aura and the city should be able to support an NHL team, especially considering their lack of an NBA team. So I'd like to CONTINUE to hate Pittsburgh Penguins fans for years to come!

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Archived