New Gonzaga logo?

Delux247

When you open up ESPN.com's NBA tag (here), it has Chad Ford's top 10 by position scroller running along the top right. If it shows the top 10 SF's, then Adam Morrison is ranked #1 and the Gonzaga logo to go along with his name is one I've never seen before (...and I checked GoZags.com and ESPN's Gonzaga page). What's up?

ujsignature.png

You can only see it if you luckily get SF's scrolling and not another position. The logo has a Carolina Blue lightning bolt coming off a basketball (the 'old' version) under "Zags".

ujsignature.png

Interesting find. I definately wouldn't have caught it. But being Carolina blue and having a random lightning bolt seems kind of weird to me. Plus..ESPN does use some older logos (most notably the UConn "Jonathan head" logo. UConn is really pushing it's interlocking "UC" logo for men's basketball - I don't think it's the official logo yet, but almost all of the new UConn merchandise features this logo instead of the dog head logo.

We are one!

Interesting find. I definately wouldn't have caught it. But being Carolina blue and having a random lightning bolt seems kind of weird to me. Plus..ESPN does use some older logos (most notably the UConn "Jonathan head" logo. UConn is really pushing it's interlocking "UC" logo for men's basketball - I don't think it's the official logo yet, but almost all of the new UConn merchandise features this logo instead of the dog head logo.

Well...kind of. UConn has their own sport-specific logos for men's basketball, women's basketball, football and baseball, but they use those almost like a secondary, if anything. They still use Jonathan for everything, officially.

As for the Gonzaga logo, I've never seen it before, either. It's actually pretty neat, but I wish they kept the navy and maroon colors if it's something new. There's just something odd about a school - something that actually has a real tradition - changing colors.

Here it is:

gonzaga.jpg

I've never seen the logo myself, but the font seems to be on some merchandise, though I'm not sure if the merchandise is new or not?

http://www.cudaapparel.com/category.php%3fcat=11003

Just asking, is it just the basketball team that is named the Zags?

I always thought it was all teams that were just nicknamed the Zags, with the real name being the Bulldogs.

Here it is:

gonzaga.jpg

I've never seen the logo myself, but the font seems to be on some merchandise, though I'm not sure if the merchandise is new or not?

http://www.cudaapparel.com/category.php%3fcat=11003

Just asking, is it just the basketball team that is named the Zags?

I always thought it was all teams that were just nicknamed the Zags, with the real name being the Bulldogs.

It's just a secondary nickname and play on the school's name. Secondary like Pokes for Okie State or Hokies for Va Tech.

fade.gif

Secondary like Pokes for Okie State or Hokies for Va Tech.

Hokies is secondary for Va Tech? What's the primary nickname? Gobblers?

Zags has long been the unofficial nickname for Gonzaga athletics.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Gobblers is their secondary.

There are a couple of schools who have two officials nicknames (like Yale who are the Bulldogs and the Elis and Army who go by both Cadets and Black Knights)

and there are a ton that have unofficial nicknames (like Auburn and the Plainsmen)

Archived