What's so special about the Houstan Texans logo?

BRM_PTX

My dad likes it,you guys like it, and loads of people like it but I don't like it.What is so special about this...

houston_texans_logo2030104.gif

The only cool thing about it is the bisons head shape.It doesn't stand out compared to these classic NFL logos...

120405s_logo_tampa.gif

washington_redskins_logo1030104.gif

philadelphia_eagles_logo_200.jpg

new_england_patriots_logo_200.jpg

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

to me it says Texas, the Steer Head, the colors of the Texas Flag, and lets not forget about the Stars. It's supposed to be about Texans, I think they fit this perfectly into one logo.

to me, the texans icon represents everything it's supposed to represent about texas, in the most simple way possible. the fact that the designer made a professional sports logo as iconic as this using only 25 or 26 points (depending on who's counting) is a remarkable achievement.

If you're from Texas, that's you answer right there.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

well, for me its a combination of things. The simplicity, the bold statement, and the strength and motion conveyed within that simplicity.

Texas is known for being BIG AND BOLD ... and this logo is that ... no intricate details, nothing to GET within it .. just a god damm bulls head charging, RED WHITE AND BLUE, that rings true to the fans. The star is texas symbol as well .. and everyone within the fanbase can react so well to everything this says, BIG, STRONG, STEER, CHARGING, STAR, YEEEEAAAAAH. The visceral reaction garnished from it is directly on point.

And for those looking for deeper meanings within the logo, the bulls head is actually an abstract of the state of Texas itself. Also to address the incredible illustration quality, this conveys a 3d bulls head charging within only 2 colors (and keeping those colors held prominitely and strongly as these are, not using them as shadows and support lines, and thus losing the meanings held within the colors) ... as an illustration exercise, try that. Its not a simple task to limit yourself to such a limited palette, and pull off the realistic qualities, as well as the mood and manner you wish to uphold. Its iconic for that reason.

Everything about the branding of this team then followed through with these points, being iconic, strong and simple. I think part of the reason its so well responded to, is because its such stark contrast to what every other team has done for so long, which is muddy up their brand with details details and more details .. throwing in black as an extra color for no reason, adding more stripes and decorations to their uniforms, and adding 3d depth and more colors to their logos.

All in all, this is easily on my top 5 logos in professional sports.

well, for me its a combination of things. The simplicity, the bold statement, and the strength and motion conveyed within that simplicity.

Texas is known for being BIG AND BOLD ... and this logo is that ... no intricate details, nothing to GET within it .. just a god damm bulls head charging, RED WHITE AND BLUE, that rings true to the fans. The star is texas symbol as well .. and everyone within the fanbase can react so well to everything this says, BIG, STRONG, STEER, CHARGING, STAR, YEEEEAAAAAH. The visceral reaction garnished from it is directly on point.

And for those looking for deeper meanings within the logo, the bulls head is actually an abstract of the state of Texas itself. Also to address the incredible illustration quality, this conveys a 3d bulls head charging within only 2 colors (and keeping those colors held prominitely and strongly as these are, not using them as shadows and support lines, and thus losing the meanings held within the colors) ... as an illustration exercise, try that. Its not a simple task to limit yourself to such a limited palette, and pull off the realistic qualities, as well as the mood and manner you wish to uphold. Its iconic for that reason.

Everything about the branding of this team then followed through with these points, being iconic, strong and simple. I think part of the reason its so well responded to, is because its such stark contrast to what every other team has done for so long, which is muddy up their brand with details details and more details .. throwing in black as an extra color for no reason, adding more stripes and decorations to their uniforms, and adding 3d depth and more colors to their logos.

All in all, this is easily on my top 5 logos in professional sports.

Ok I understand now.I just can't stand that dark navy blue though.

Then I told that teacher lady the only three letters I need to know are U, S, and A.

I hope you got your answer as many have articulated better than I would have already. Personally, it looks better on a white helmet to me (CBS used to have one on "The NFL today" set).

I noticed that your "classic logos" have only one which was designed before 1993. Plus, you think the buccaneers is classic, but not the Raiders? Wow.

I don't know how "classic" the logos you provided are. I mean, Tampa Bay's is less than 10 years old, the Eagles are right around the 10 year mark, and the Patriots logo was only introduced in 2000. Personally, I think classic is more exemplified by a team like Dallas(1964) or Green Bay(1961). The examples given may become classics further down the line, but right now, they're not at the same level as the older and more iconic logos in the league.

I hope you got your answer as many have articulated better than I would have already.  Personally, it looks better on a white helmet to me (CBS used to have one on "The NFL today" set).

I noticed that your "classic logos" have only one which was designed before 1993.  Plus, you think the buccaneers is classic, but not the Raiders?  Wow.

Yeah well I don't have enough time to have EVERY great logo in the NFL.

"I don't know how "classic" the logos you provided are. I mean, Tampa Bay's is less than 10 years old, the Eagles are right around the 10 year mark, and the Patriots logo was only introduced in 2000. Personally, I think classic is more exemplified by a team like Dallas(1964) or Green Bay(1961). The examples given may become classics further down the line, but right now, they're not at the same level as the older and more iconic logos in the league. "

Instant classic is classic enough for me.Yeah ,I know about how classic green bay and dallas are but I got a couple examples that were instant classic and were released near the time that the Houston logo was released(minus the Redskins logo).

and the Patriots logo was only introduced in 2000.

Patriots logo, or "the Flying Elvis" logo as it's referred to by some, was introduced in 1993, not 2000. 2000 was the year that the Pats primary color was switched from royal blue to navy blue.

Just a friendly reminder from your resident Patriots history expert. :D

also ... another little design lesson / note:

Hillman Curtis once said, and this was just a very nice way of summing up what Paul Rand stated a thousand times ... that the mark of a succesful logo is that it can be drawn in the sand, and still be recognized by all.

I would expand that into saying that the more interest there is in personal consumer reproduction of that logo, the more this rule applies. thus, the logo for a band, every fan of that band should be able to doodle that thing on a napkin ... and for a sports team .. a true mark of success is that every single fan can draw that logo on their cheek, on a poster to take to the game, or on their notebooks in class.

this truly exemplifies that.

also ... another little design lesson / note:

Hillman Curtis once said, and this was just a very nice way of summing up what Paul Rand stated a thousand times ... that the mark of a succesful logo is that it can be drawn in the sand, and still be recognized by all.

I would expand that into saying that the more interest there is in personal consumer reproduction of that logo, the more this rule applies.  thus, the logo for a band, every fan of that band should be able to doodle that thing on a napkin ... and for a sports team .. a true mark of success is that every single fan can draw that logo on their cheek, on a poster to take to the game, or on their notebooks in class.

this truly exemplifies that.

well said again

buffalo_sig.png

Man, for all the reasons js has mentioned, this logo has really grown on me, in the last week or so, really.

I think I was letting my hatred of all things Texas cloud my judgement. As a logo, from a purely design standpoint, it's probably almost genius.

I doesn't mean I have to like what it stands for to like the logo. :P

So, I'm curious js... you mention it's in your "top five" favorite logos. Just for curiosity's sake, what are the other four?

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

Archived