Unchosen Sabres logos

ebod39

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm venturing to guess when they showed the final concepts to the elementary kids, they (the kids) liked the buffaslug because it was fun and looked like a cartoon character on a cereal box. the kids probably didn't like the other designs because they were 'boring' and didn't have the elements of fun that kids like which buffaslug had.

while it is true buffaslug put the sabres as the team with the worst logo and was the worst concept, it was sabre tested, kid approved.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

im surprised how whenever there is a choice of several different logos, the worst one always seems to be chosen. :rolleyes:

the one incorporating the falls is a tremendous idea. i like how tying in significant area landmarks makes the logo unique for our team and locale. unfortunately it looked more like a gryphon than a buffalo imho, and there still is no sabre in the design, but i definately would have embraced it.

is it me or does modernizing have to mean make worse? i mean with the original logo, does making the buffalo more jagged and adding lines across the body mean its modern?

Some of those are pretty scary with what looks like a demon face on the buffalo. I can understand why they didn't go that route. Just a simple update of the old logo would have sufficed.

Some of those are pretty scary with what looks like a demon face on the buffalo. I can understand why they didn't go that route. Just a simple update of the old logo would have sufficed.

those are simple updates of the old logo. The first one is the old buffalo with new swords, how much

simpler and closer can it be. Most of them stay true to the original by not using a lot of accents and outlines, only when needed it seems to define areas or depth. I would rather have a mean buffalo, than a nice one.

Like another post said. "does it have to be sleek lines to be modern?" , well no. And the same rings true for overdrawn, multiple outlined and shaded renderings too. It can stil be flat and clean

and be modern but timeless too. Look at the Texans, that will stand the test of time. I don't see the buffaslug doing that.

is it me or does modernizing have to mean make worse? i mean with the original logo, does making the buffalo more jagged and adding lines across the body mean its modern?

modernization is one of those things that if done right can look really good and if done badly can look really badly.

the seahawks, cardinals and 49ers are good examples of good modernization, and buffaslug is a good example of a bad modernization.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I don't know. To me that looks like the Beast from the Disney movie.

I was thinking it looks more like a gargoyle....nothing like a bison.

For one thing, bison are not fast animals. They're big, hulking, powerful bulldozers. Therefore, their manes do not flow like waterfalls. Even when charging, their manes are not long enough to flow like a thoroughbred's, for example.

71509902_d99aaf58fb.jpg

But, back on topic, these designs have much more promise and legitimacy than the Buffaslug. Just get rid of that shield. The sabres and white buffalo belong in a circle (which, consequently, is also a strong Aboriginal symbol, at least in my area).

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

I think the use of a Bison image in every Buffalo sports team identity is just overdone at this point. I dont' know why the team didn't charge the designer with working the Sabres angle more creatively. Make it military-inspired and focus on the idea of wielding a sabre is not unlike wielding a hockey stick.

The Bison head is just tired and the new logo isn't nearly different enough from the Bills NFL logo.

Are you joking the idea is good but it looks like a guys face, last time i checked a buffalo didn't have a man's nose

Considering the rest of the concepts, yeah, it's the winner. It's not there just *yet*, but I really like the symbolism involved in the logo. Not your ordinary Bison-burger-to-be. ^_^

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

the first thing that struck me when I saw the 4th concept, the one incorporating the rivers and niagra falls, etc, was that it looked an awful lot like what the guy (Tazz? Cant remember exactly) described in the other thread, as far as it looking like a cross between Denver, Miami, and the Bobcats. In fact, it looks almost exactly as I had imagined it. I wonder...

theonsixe makes a good point.... when considering Tazz's description this one does make more sense. This totally reminds me of the Broncos in a bigger way than the slug logo.

He did say something along the lines of "What I guess is supposed to be a buffalo head"... one could interpret that statement in regards to this version 4 as "Why does it look more human than buffalo"

However.... how did the original poster of this thread get these? Can't these just be a hoax as well?

Guess we wont know for sure until September.

theonsixe makes a good point.... when considering Tazz's description this one does make more sense. This totally reminds me of the Broncos in a bigger way than the slug logo.

He did say something along the lines of "What I guess is supposed to be a buffalo head"... one could interpret that statement in regards to this version 4 as "Why does it look more human than buffalo"

However.... how did the original poster of this thread get these? Can't these just be a hoax as well?

Guess we wont know for sure until September.

He got them because he did them. He was (maybe still is) a designer at Nike for years. The Sabres invited him to put forth some concepts.

And I don't know why people don't like the red & black one--other than they don't like the colour change...

They didn't need to change the logo.

Their name is the Sabres not the Buffaloes.

I like the the 3 set the best however I feel like the sabres and outline in the logos need to be a bit thicker.

Well the football team's name is the Bills not the "Buffaloes" so why is there a buffalo on the helmet?

My guess is because they can't draw a very good "Bill".

Just change the color of the alternate red jersey with the crossed sabres to blue and yellow and call it a day.

Enough of why they use a Buffalo in there logo (Sabres/Bills). Do we really need to get into this? Why do the Yankees and Mets have NY on there hats? Why do the San Francisco Giants and 49ers have SF for their logos? I am not from Buffalo but I think it is cool representing the city name into the teams logo. You got to love the Tampa Bay Lightning trying to have it all with the state of Florida, the city name and a lightning bolt all on there logo.

Archived