1958 LA Dodgers and SF Giants cap logos

SiddFinch

Topps usually used pictures taken from the previous spring in making baseball cards. Since those players would be wearing Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants caps, they had to make a guess. Apparently the Giants and Dodgers had not released their new cap logos by the time it was time for the cards to go to press. It's kinda like Topps listing all of the 1974 Padres as playing for "Washington, Nat'l League" because at the time the cards were printed, they thought the franchise was moving.

that Giants SF looks more like the one wore by the PCL's San Francisco Seals. Im gonna say that Topps just took a guess that the Giants were gonna use the same logo, but they guessed wrong.

It's kinda like Topps listing all of the 1974 Padres as playing for "Washington, Nat'l League" because at the time the cards were printed, they thought the franchise was moving.

Anybody have a scan of that?

It's kinda like Topps listing all of the 1974 Padres as playing for "Washington, Nat'l League" because at the time the cards were printed, they thought the franchise was moving.

Anybody have a scan of that?

Here's one:

Mccovey-74T-250.jpg

Sounds like a plausible explanation. I wonder why Cooperstown Ballcap sells this oddity:

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS, 1958

SFN58.GIF

I have a pic from a 1958 SI and Mays is NOT wearing the above cap.

Looks to me like Cooperstown Ballcap is using baseball cards as a source.

Sounds like a plausible explanation.  I wonder why Cooperstown Ballcap sells this oddity:

SFN58.GIF

With graphics like that, why would you buy from them in the first place?

Sheesh.

Sounds like a plausible explanation.  I wonder why Cooperstown Ballcap sells this oddity:

SFN58.GIF

With graphics like that, why would you buy from them in the first place?

Sheesh.

I agree with you. When I browsed searching some caps to buy, I found once that website and after checking its infant graphics, I never give it one minute more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived