Toronto Blue Jays Concept

GFB

Wow. Awesome work.

I think the numbers were better the first time, and they could be split. The Jays did update the split numbers before, which worked really well. This numbers on this newer version look too dated, yours were more consistent with the lettering.

You would make Paul Lukas of UniWatch very happy with your vertically arched lettering on the nameplates. Up until this season, the Braves were the only team to do this, but they changed to radially arched letters like everyone else. You wouldn'y even have to outline the letters, I think they would show up fine as one color.

What a novel idea. Blue for the blue jays. Go figure.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautifully done, dude.

No real issues to speak of. I could go either way about the retro numbers. On one hand, I love the link to the past, and I understand completely with the crowd saying that split letters are essential to a Blue Jays concept. But the first number set really worked, and matched the lettering script perfectly. If you could have found a way to put piping into that font, that'd be the answer - but I appreciate it could be tough.

My only suggestion would be to scale back on the player names. For a short name like "WELLS", the size works perfectly. (And I am all for vertical arching, extra embroidery time be damned.) But try making a jersey for Shea Hillenbrand, Scott Schoeneweis or Frank Catalanatto using letters that big, and the names will run elbow to elbow.

That comment aside, these are gorgeous. The sooner these hit shelves, the sooner I'd buy one. :notworthy:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The new numbers to me definitely say "Blue Jays." Now a powder blue roadie and they would be perfect. As they are ...a major upgrade and if they were made there would be one in my closet along side my Alomar ('92-ish) and my Clemens ('97-ish)

centerfieldbanner2.png

Formula GP

CenterField 22 pts

#7 Coca-Cola Giancarlo Fisichella 4pts

#8 Coca-Cola Lewis Hamilton 18pts

TRAC

CenterField Motorsports

#5 Sony Kyle Busch

#8 Gatorade Kurt Busch

#9 Sirius David Ragan/Ricky Rudd

every time I come in to this thread I have the urge to reach for my credit card to go buy one of those alt caps. ha ha, if only!

I'm ALMOST inclined to agree with people who say it needs some red. Honestly, just the littlest bit wouldn't be horrible. Maybe on the alt sleeve logo, perhaps? But I definitely get that you're mimicing the colors of an actual blue jay. Unfortunately the only other naturally occurring color in a blue jay appears to be black, and God knows there's already too much black in sports unis, so I wouldn't recommend adding any of that to break it up.

Really, though, it looks great the way you have it now. What's funny is, on the old Jays unis, I didn't like the split lettering, but on these, it looks great!

indians4.png

"You could put an empty orange helmet on the 50-yard line at Cleveland Browns Stadium and 50,000 fans would show up to stare at it."

-Terry Pluto

• 3 weeks later...

This is my favorite of all the TBJ concepts I've seen so far.

I would agree, though, with some earlier comments about number font and player name. Regarding the former element, you had it right the first time. I'd concur with VitaminD on the latter, vis-a-vis a smaller font size. A narrower outline, or none at all, would be better there as well.

The bird-on-maple-leaf, plus some wordmark elements, should be the primary logo...and the only instance in which we see any red (you know where that'd go).

Usually I don't like a lot of concepts that try to link the eras together, because as it's been said many times before, the designers did not mean for those logos to be all put together (see: Penguins, Pittsburgh). However, you've done enough of a job here to warrant a new identity, but still remaining true to your roots. Good work.

Since I have received so many replies to this thread, I have decided to put up one more concept, this time with red in the color scheme. I think I still prefer the blue/baby blue scheme, but I'll leave that for you to decide......

Thanks to everyone for their responses....

Also! If anyone would like to help me out with a project of mine, click here

GFB

blue-jays-conceptred.png

Since I have received so many replies to this thread, I have decided to put up one more concept, this time with red in the color scheme. I think I still prefer the blue/baby blue scheme, but I'll leave that for you to decide......

Thanks to everyone for their responses....

Also! If anyone would like to help me out with a project of mine, click here

GFB

blue-jays-conceptred.png

Thank you for bringing back the old numbers. Thank You!

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

If you would have just colored the maple leaf red and left everything else the same as before I think it would have been a near perfect concept. The red now makes the uniforms look too clutered. Still, a definite upgrade over the Blue Jays' current sets. Great Job.

If you would have just colored the maple leaf red and left everything else the same as before I think it would have been a near perfect concept. The red now makes the uniforms look too clutered. Still, a definite upgrade over the Blue Jays' current sets. Great Job.

I think the red fits perfectly. I used to love the late 90's Jays uniforms. These look like a combo of old and new. I love it.

Please can u guys stop living in the past w/ all this retro and simplicity uniform talk! If the teams wanted it that way, don't u think they would've kept it that way. You guys always talk about how a team named the blue jays shouldn't any black in their logo or unis. Well I think if they're the Blue jays, they shouldn't have red either. They're not the Blue-black Jays neither are they the Blue-red Jays.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Please can u guys stop living in the past w/ all this retro and simplicity uniform talk! If the teams wanted it that way, don't u think they would've kept it that way. You guys always talk about how a team named the blue jays shouldn't any black in their logo or unis. Well I think if they're the Blue jays, they shouldn't have red either. They're not the Blue-black Jays neither are they the Blue-red Jays.

Well, the reason why a lot of teams should just have simple designs is because most of the time if they have somethng abstract, it rarely works. Especially if you do that with colors. Sometimes keeping a design simple and easy to see is the best way to go.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for the reviews, I think I might have a new home here..... :grin:

blue-jays-concept.png

Anyway, I made some changes. Back also is the piped retro numbers! I actually like these numbers better than the original. The back lettering has also been fixed (I just don't recall ever seeing an MLB club with letters arched like this).

Regarding some of the comments.....

1. I tried piping on the lettering, but it didn't look right with the font....

2. I won't be putting any red in this concept. Why? Because I believe that if you name you team the BLUE Jays, your colors should be blue. I know there is the whole Canada thing, but then why name your team the Blue Jays if you want red in the color scheme?

3. The white on the alt & BP caps are just to give a different look. The BP ones would never be used in the game, and I think the alt is very ghetto....

Thanks to all again.....

I think this concept is perfect. I agree with the no-red thing, and the numbers are perfect. Great work!

Archived