Ben Wallace Agrees To Term W/ The Bulls

brinkeguthrie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My original post's intention was this: that the average fan that supports the Pistons would be outraged that this player called a 50 million dollar contract 'disappointing.'

You don't think that people get outraged when Ty Law rejects an multi-million dollar offer from the Patriots because he has to "feed his family"? You don't think that fans get outraged when Terrell Owens demands a new contract and ruins the team because of it? Oh, okay.

Whether other athletes say the same thing is irrelevant.  I wasn't speaking of them.

No, guy, it's very relevant when Ben's comments are the reason you don't watch a sport, according to this quote:

Now I remember why I don't follow the NBA- it's due to guys and comments like this one.

You can't give other sports a free pass when they do the same thing. Again, re-read moose's post. Why don't you bag on football and baseball players when they do the same thing?

Brinke, why don't I hear you saying "Now I remember why I don't follow the NFL and MLB - it's due to guys and comments like these."????????

Oh, right, because you like those sports.

I love hypocrites.

Go stand outside the Piston's arena and ask people if they think a 50 million dollar deal is disappointing.  You might be surprised.

You might be surprised that athletes in other sports think that kind of money is disappointing, yet I don't hear you complaining about them. Weird, brinke. Weird. And this isn't about people in Detroit...people in every city are poor and jobless and struggling, and athletes in every city complain about their contracts. For you to single out one person because you don't like his sport is absurd. Maybe you'll figure it out someday, but with your stubbornness, I'll be surprised if you do figure it out.

PS - I've never experienced such personal animosity.  Thanks, I appreciate it.

You're welcome. Reality is a real bitch sometimes.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

In all fairness, when an NBA player says he needs more to feed his family, it's only because per capita, NBA players are by far the most productive when it comes to procreation. I'm pretty sure Shawn Kemp has more children than the entire Yankees team.

I also think it's absurd that Ben Wallace would complain about $50 million. I think the salary professional sports players are paid in general are pretty silly. However, I say good for them. They create a lot of wealth for a lot of rich men behind that scenes who, incidentally, think it's just fine to charge $4 for a soda and $6 for nachos.

A lot of these players come from poverty. They should work hard to get as much as they possibly can. Considering how generous NBA and NFL players often are with their time and their money, at least they're putting some of the extra to good use.

And really, what would you accept -- $50M to stay in Detroit or $60M to move to Chicago? Is it even a question?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And really, what would you accept -- $50M to stay in Detroit or $60M to move to Chicago? Is it even a question?

If it was $50M to go to Chicago and $60M to stay in Detroit, I would still sign with Da Bulls. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

My original post's intention was this: that the average fan that supports the Pistons would be outraged that this player called a 50 million dollar contract 'disappointing.'

You don't think that people get outraged when Ty Law rejects an multi-million dollar offer from the Patriots because he has to "feed his family"? You don't think that fans get outraged when Terrell Owens demands a new contract and ruins the team because of it? Oh, okay.

Whether other athletes say the same thing is irrelevant.  I wasn't speaking of them.

No, guy, it's very relevant when Ben's comments are the reason you don't watch a sport, according to this quote:

Now I remember why I don't follow the NBA- it's due to guys and comments like this one.

You can't give other sports a free pass when they do the same thing. Again, re-read moose's post. Why don't you bag on football and baseball players when they do the same thing?

Brinke, why don't I hear you saying "Now I remember why I don't follow the NFL and MLB - it's due to guys and comments like these."????????

I love hypocrites.

Go stand outside the Piston's arena and ask people if they think a 50 million dollar deal is disappointing.  You might be surprised.

You might be surprised that athletes in other sports think that kind of money is disappointing, yet I don't hear you complaining about them. Weird, brinke. Weird. And this isn't about people in Detroit...people in every city are poor and jobless and struggling, and athletes in every city complain about their contracts. For you to single out one person because you don't like his sport is absurd. Maybe you'll figure it out someday, but with your stubbornness, I'll be surprised if you do figure it out.

it was Latrell Spreewell that said he need the money so he could feed his family, not Ty Law. Ty has never said something like that .

I'll take the pistol to the head option, please. ^_^

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

it was Latrell Spreewell that said he need the money so he could feed his family, not Ty  Law. Ty has never said something like that .

You sure about that? I may have misquoted him, but Ty's main worry was food on the table...

From a March 2004 edition of the Boston Globe on why he didn't want to re-sign with the Patriots for less than $7 million a year:

"The money ain't the thing, because I have that. Then again, I'm not going to sit here and say I don't want $7 million, either. That's stupid. Hell, we all gotta eat."

Taken from this article (bolds done by me to emphasize Ty's vocal displeasure with the team, just so brinke knows that it does exist in other sports):

Law Says Patriots Lied to Him

Saturday, March 13, 2004

Updated: March 14, 3:08 PM ET

The "bridge is burned." All-Pro cornerback Ty Law does not want to play another game for the Patriots.

Citing "irreconcilable differences," Law said he has told Patriots coach Bill Belichick and vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli his desire to play somewhere else after being "lied to" about their intentions, according to the Boston Globe.

"Right now, it's not about money," Law told the Globe this week. "That bridge is burned. I no longer want to be a Patriot. I can't even see myself putting on that uniform again, that's how bad I feel about playing here."

Law is under contract with the Pats for two more seasons, and wants an extension that would make him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. He is due to earn $6.15 million in salary and a $1 million reporting bonus this year, and $8.75 million in salary plus another $1 million reporting bonus next season.

He has asked the Pats to allow him to buy out his contract. They have declined, according to the Globe.

"Ty is under contract and I think he will honor that contract and do whatever he can to play in this league for a long time," Pats' defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel told ESPN Radio on Sunday. "Ty plays his best on Sundays and if he has to continue to play in New England, he will go out on Sundays and play as hard as he ever has."

Last month Law called the Patriots' four-year, $26 million offer "an insult" and "a slap in the face." Law told the Globe this week that he thought negotiations would continue, but the team told him they would carry Law's $10 million salary cap figure into next season.

"They told me they didn't want to insult Ty anymore, so they're not going to submit any more offers," Carl Poston, Law's agent, told the Globe.

When Poston made the Pats a seven-year, $63 million counteroffer that included $20 million to sign and $28 million over the first three years, Pioli reportedly responded with something to effect of "We can't do that. Save the paper."

"They told me one thing and did another," Law told the Globe. "They said we were going to talk. All of a sudden, negotiations are off. 'We're just going to keep it the way it is for this year.' No. It ain't going to be 'for this year.' I don't want no 'just for this year.' I don't want no years at all. Actually, I don't want a contract extension anymore because I no longer want to be a New England Patriot. I'm drop-dead serious about not wanting to be a part of this organization anymore."

This is not the first time Law has asked to be let go. Law told the Globe he asked Belichick to place him on the 2002 expansion list, which was due days after the Pats' Super Bowl XXXVI victory.

Trading Law or releasing him before June 1 would come with a cap hit of $5.4 million, or the remaining prorated portion of his signing bonus. If the Patriots cut him after June 1, the cap hit this year would be $2.7 million, and the $2.7 million acceleration would be applied to the 2005 cap.

"I can't do a thing about it but express my displeasure about playing for this organization," Law told the Globe. "I'll go to training camp. I've got bonuses for going to training camp. I'm just saying it won't be a comfortable working atmosphere. It's not a reason to hold out. I get $1 million just to show up. Who wouldn't show up for $1 million? The money ain't the thing, because I have that. Then again, I'm not going to sit here and say I don't want $7 million, either. That's stupid. Hell, we all gotta eat.

"I'll go out there and play my game. I'm not saying I'm going to be the best guy to be around or your favorite guy to talk to. But I'm not going to hurt my teammates and I'm not going to hurt myself. I'm going to go out there and play football, because if you want to pay $7 million to a guy that really doesn't want to be here, OK, this is business. Fine. You don't have to like your boss to work and do your job well."

The Patriots' offer essentially would guarantee Law $15.6 million over the next two years ($6.6 million bonus, salaries of $4 million this year and $5 million next year), according to the Globe. His current contract calls for him to earn $16.9 million over the next two seasons.

"I would be a fool to take less than what I already make," Law told the newspaper. "So you're telling me, if I make $17 million over the next two years, if I'm a Patriot, I'm going to accept $15.6 million? That's a pay cut. I said it a thousand times, I'm not taking no pay cut. No. ... If this is a business and you can't afford to pay me what I deserve to be paid, that's fine. I have no problem with that. But let me go out there and earn the salary that I deserve and let me get the commitment from another team because I deserve more than just a one-year deal."

Latrell Sprewell says he'll ask to be traded if the Minnesota Timberwolves don't sign him to a contract extension by Wednesday night's opener. ''I think this thing is heading towards me leaving, personally,'' Sprewell told reporters after a practice this week. Earlier this preseason, Sprewell said he wanted a contract extension by the Wolves' opener, against the New York Knicks, or he would ask for a sign-and-trade deal or wait to become a free agent. Either way, Sprewell said he didn't want to negotiate during the season. But he took a tougher stance Sunday. Asked if he would play out the season and test the free-agent market, Sprewell said: ''Why would I want to help them win a title? They're not doing anything for me. I'm at risk. I have a lot of risk here. I got my family to feed.'' Sprewell is due to make $14.6 million this year. Sprewell, 34, described the team's latest offer, reported to be worth between $27 million and $30 million over three years, as ''insulting.''

I love hypocrites.

man, you are totally off the mark.

all i was referring to was wallace's statement. i never mentioned ty law or terrell or anyone else.

just wallace.

next time, before you go off on some personal vendetta, which you obviously have, read the post.

all i talked about was wallace. want me to say it again?

OK.

all i walked about was wallace. it IS just about the people in detroit, because, let's say it again, ALL I WAS TALKING ABOUT IS WALLACE.

it would indeed apply to any spoiled, arrogant athlete in any sport. but i wasn't referring to them..was I? And I haven't seen, as I recall, any players in OTHER LEAGUES LIKE THE NFL or NHL saying the same things. If they have, that's one thing. But I WASNT MENTIONING OTHER PLAYERS, WAS I?

You say:

"You don't think that people get outraged when Ty Law rejects an multi-million dollar offer from the Patriots because he has to "feed his family"? You don't think that fans get outraged when Terrell Owens demands a new contract and ruins the team because of it? Oh, okay."

I am sure they do. The 'disappointed in 50M' applies to any sport. But who was I talking about? JUST wallace. I never said people who follow other sports wouldn't

be outraged. I'm sure they would be.

I am an avid NFL and MLB fan. In my years, I bet I have been to more major leaague events in both sports than you. You need not question my sports knowledge, because you have no way to measure it.

So do me a favor. Don't waste your breath with this thread anymore. Because I'm not.

I stand by my original statement. And if you don't like it, fine with me. Now drop it, OK?

it would indeed apply to any spoiled, arrogant athlete in any sport.  but i wasn't referring to them..was I?  And I haven't seen, as I recall, any players in OTHER LEAGUES LIKE THE NFL or NHL saying the same things.  If they have, that's one thing.  But I WASNT MENTIONING OTHER PLAYERS, WAS I?

read the post.

How about you RTFT and quit defending your holier-than-thou baseball and football players??

You might have been "only talking about Wallace", but you opened a HUGE CAN OF WORMS when you said "Now I know why I don't watch the NBA..."

And I'll waste my breath and respond because I have every right to do so.

Brinke, did you even read the Ty Law article I posted? Do you even know who Ty Law is?? Honestly, if you can't pick up on the bold parts in that article and realize that he's saying the same thing as Ben Wallace, you are beyond ignorant - a whole other realm. Many people call it plain stupidity.

And you didn't mention Ty Law or Terrell Owens in your original post because they play a sport that you like...whereas Ben Wallace plays a sport you don't like. You completely turned the other cheek, and you got caught red-handed being hypocritical. You don't recall any other players in the NFL saying the same things??? Have you watched any sports program or read any NFL article in the past 20 years?? Don't blame me for your stupidity, okay?

I am an avid NFL and MLB fan. In my years, I bet I have been to more major leaague events in both sports than you. You need not question my sports knowledge, because you have no way to measure it.

I can't question something that doesn't exist. And going to more major league sports events than me doesn't mean a damn thing. Just means you are older and have money...Doesn't mean you are smart. If you were smart, you'd realize that other players in other leagues complain about contract situations. I realize this happens every day, so I guess I'm a billion times smarter than you are, which is pretty embarassing since you've gone to 20 billion sporting events...you genius, you.

I'm attacking you because you're defending your own ignorance instead of realizing that there's a whole world of athletes in ALL SPORTS complaining about money and contracts in cities of all kinds that have poor and jobless people. Yet you wipe it away with "I wasn't talking about them."

MY POINT IS DON'T BASH THE NBA WHEN IT HAPPENS IN OTHER LEAGUES, AND DON'T BE A HYPOCRITE. :censored:, dude. If you don't watch basketball because of those comments from Ben Wallace, then don't watch football or baseball, because players from those leagues say the same thing... and I have proven without a doubt that they say the same thing by posting the Ty Law article.

If you don't watch basketball because of those comments from Ben Wallace, then don't watch football or baseball, because players from those leagues say the same thing...

I'd say this one sentance pretty much sums it all up...

Moose

Archived