Sign in to follow this  
Brass

New Lightning Font?

On shop.nhl.com, they use the mid-90's font that the Tampa Bay Lightning used on their jerseys displayed, when you want to personalize a jersey. You can see it here:

Here

Man, I love those numbers. Reporter-Two is one of my favorite fonts. IMO the Lighting should not have ditched these numbers.

Thank GOD they brought back those numbers, I love them.

Hasn't the website always used that paintbrush font for the Lightning jersey personalizing tool? I do recall them using it on the site last year.

I wouldn't look into is as a surefire bet that the team will be returning to it.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

Hasn't the website always used that paintbrush font for the Lightning jersey personalizing tool? I do recall them using it on the site last year.

I wouldn't look into is as a surefire bet that the team will be returning to it.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

you are correct sir, the lightning have not, and most likely will not, change to the reporter font.

The NHL shop seems to screw up many fonts. It gives the Columbus alt and dark red numbers w/ a white outline and the Leafs home their rounded numbers that they had before their current numbers.

NHLShop has always used that font on it customizable jerseys. You can use either that or block, whichever you prefer.

Personally, I've always preferred the modified and italicized block font the 'Ning used starting in '93. Coming in a close second: the original jagged font used on the Best NHL Alternate Ever (also used by the Quebec Rafales.)

But I agree, the paintbrush is an upgrade from the standard block. So is the arched lettering.

If I remember correctly, the Ligtning have had five different number fonts on six different jerseys in their history.

Primary Jerseys

'92-'93 - Block font with drop shadow.

'93-'94 - Italicized block font with drop shadow.

'95-'01 - Reporter two (paintbrush) font.

'01-Present - Block font.

Alternate Jersey

'96-'98 - Jagged, electric font

'98-99 - Reporter two (paintbrush) font.

I feel the opposite... I hated the "reporter two" numbering font. I'm glad they went to the current one.

But, I wouldn't have minded if they bring back the original numbering from the inaugural season.

However, they should keep the current nameplate.