Dusty Baker start packing your bags

NJTank

Just saw in ESPN Cubs GM Jim Hendry told Chicago reporters Tuesday he would use the four-day All-Star break to decide whether an overhaul, which could include firing manager Baker, is in order. Saying that tells me Baker goose is cooked.

Story

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Oh, hell. Why stop at saying Baker's ass is gone.

I say... FIRE SALE!

That's right. Ship every good player they have left and start anew. This season is already a total washout for the Cubs, so why not ship those two pitchers (Wood and Prior) who have spent more time on the godforsaken DL then on the diamond! Why not ship Zambrano to a winner like the cross town White Sox? Why not send Derreck Lee to, say, Seattle (:P).

Maybe then, the fans will stop whining... Wait, who am I kidding? They'll still whine about those losers!

I say... FIRE SALE!

That's right. Ship every good player they have left and start anew. This season is already a total washout for the Cubs, so why not ship those two pitchers (Wood and Prior) who have spent more time on the godforsaken DL then on the diamond! Why not ship Zambrano to a winner like the cross town White Sox? Why not send Derreck Lee to, say, Seattle (:P).

Maybe then, the fans will stop whining... Wait, who am I kidding? They'll still whine about those losers!

98 years without a World Series title would make just about anyone whine. :P

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I say... FIRE SALE!

FWIW, as recently as this past Saturday, Hendry went on record stating there wouldn't be a fire sale as far as players...

And, if we're going to get into specifics, who would really take Kerry Wood? He's comming off both shoulder and knee surgery this off-season, and he still can't throw 60 pitches without soreness. Yeah, I see a lot of teams lineing up to send a bag of balls for him...

Moose

For the sake of Cubs fans, I sincerely hope that Baker gets canned. It would be the one bright light in this trainwreck of a season.

If Baker does get fired, though, ready yourself for oblique allusions to the dismissal being racially motivated, as opposed to being justified due to Baker's completely inability to, you know, manage a baseball team. Expect Baker himself to say these sorts of things to the national media and the Frisco media, and expect the usual dopes to march lock-step with Baker's faux-racist allegations (such as Stephen A. Smith, who may or may not know what a baseball is.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For the sake of Cubs fans, I sincerely hope that Baker gets canned. It would be the one bright light in this trainwreck of a season.

If Baker does get fired, though, ready yourself for oblique allusions to the dismissal being racially motivated, as opposed to being justified due to Baker's completely inability to, you know, manage a baseball team. Expect Baker himself to say these sorts of things to the national media and the Frisco media, and expect the usual dopes to march lock-step with Baker's faux-racist allegations (such as Stephen A. Smith, who may or may not know what a baseball is.)

If that happens, then whoever is accused of it is an idiot. If Dusty Baker gets fired, it's not because he's black. It's because he did a craptacular job managing the Cubs. That would be sad if he pulls the racist card, especially since he would've known better to know he's been on the hotseat for a long time.

For the sake of Cubs fans, I sincerely hope that Baker gets canned.  It would be the one bright light in this trainwreck of a season.

If Baker does get fired, though, ready yourself for oblique allusions to the dismissal being racially motivated, as opposed to being justified due to Baker's completely inability to, you know, manage a baseball team.  Expect Baker himself to say these sorts of things to the national media and the Frisco media, and expect the usual dopes to march lock-step with Baker's faux-racist allegations (such as Stephen A. Smith, who may or may not know what a baseball is.)

If that happens, then whoever is accused of it is an idiot. If Dusty Baker gets fired, it's not because he's black. It's because he did a craptacular job managing the Cubs. That would be sad if he pulls the racist card, especially since he would've known better to know he's been on the hotseat for a long time.

I realize that we're talking about hypotheticals, as far as what Baker might say if fired, but he has said some pretty strange stuff reguarding race in the past... Anyone remember the 2003 quote about blacks and latinos playing better than whites in the heat of day games?

Moose

at the table is from left to right, Jim Hendry, Scott Nelson and the host Katie Lee Joel.

Katie Lee Joel to Jim and Scott): Are we starting to see who the weak link of the Cubs is?

Jim: Absolutely, Dusty Baker is the weak link. His ineptitude of managing the players on the diamond is atrocious. I think he is one that should go next.

Scott: Yes but the blame isn't totally on Dusty Baker, guys like Kerry Wood is making a living on the DL. They must absolutely be traded.

Jim: Agreed but Dusty isn't motivating this team enough to play well or play through injuries.

Katie Le Joel: Who is the bright spots of this team?

Jim: Aramis Ramirez and Jacque Jones has a team leading 15 home runs.

Katie Lee Joel: Do we have an agreement then?

Jim: Yes.

Scott: yes.

Katie Lee Joel: Lets call him in.

Katie goes to the room

Katie Lee Joel: The management would like to see Dusty Baker and Kerry Wood at the judges table.

he sits down.

Katie Lee Joel: Do you know why you are here.

Dusty: I feel like i have done the best job i could do given the circumstances.

Kerry: I've done the best I could have done being a pitcher. Injuries are a problem, I can't help that.

Jim (To Dusty): We don't feel you are motivating the players.

Dusty: I'm sorry you feel that way.

Scott: Back to back 7-2 losses to the Houston Astros, and we're supposed to expect that to be acceptable?

Jim(to Kerry): Kerry, you say you have done the best under the circumstances of injury. But we have evaluated the DL, and we found that the injuries are either minimal or non existant. We actually found that you were placed on the DL because you claimed you had bad gas and an upset stomache from eating a bad nacho.

Kerry: That nacho prevented me from playing on a high level. I felt going on DL would help the team better than having a me play at 10% from eating that bad nacho.

Jim: We talked to the players that won the challenge and they say you two need to go.

Kerry: I don't feel I need to go, but I will say here that Dusty here needs to go.

Dusty: I can't believe that, you guys are completely hosing me. You guys are just white racists that don't want a black man as a manager.

Scott: This is why the team feels you need to go. You pull the race card everytime things go bad, instead of taking responsibility for your actions.

Katie Lee Joel: The judges have come to a decision, Dusty, please pack your stuff and leave.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

For the sake of Cubs fans, I sincerely hope that Baker gets canned.  It would be the one bright light in this trainwreck of a season.

If Baker does get fired, though, ready yourself for oblique allusions to the dismissal being racially motivated, as opposed to being justified due to Baker's completely inability to, you know, manage a baseball team.  Expect Baker himself to say these sorts of things to the national media and the Frisco media, and expect the usual dopes to march lock-step with Baker's faux-racist allegations (such as Stephen A. Smith, who may or may not know what a baseball is.)

Like Jesse Jackson won't be jumping on this.....

I say... FIRE SALE!

Send Todd Walker back to the Sox! I know Loretta's an All-Star at 2B, but c'mon TODDIE WALKER!!! He's the man! We'll send you a mid-level prospect for him! :D

I don't think the whole team needs to be blown up. Zambrano, Lee, and Barrett are fan favorites and team leaders. Walker is a good player when he's not benched for Neifi Perez*, and seems to give 100%. Cedeno is a cheap #8 hitter, Marshall a cheap #4 pitcher. Scotteyreandbobbyhowry are worth keeping. The rest can pretty much go.

*The very fact that anyone is benched for Neifi Perez is so wrong.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sorry, but you realy are on the moon if you think Aramis Ramirez is a "bright spot" for the 2006 Cubs... Sure, he's got 15 HR, and 49 RBI, but his AVE was below .200 as late as May 5th, and didn't rise above .250 until June 14th (and is currently at .251)... :shocked: Bright spot my ass.

Moose

Dusty should niot be fired cus he cant manage the Disabled List that his roster disintergrated into so quickly. Stick Contrereas, Garland and Konerko on the DL and I see a 15 game swing in record feasible. If they fire him who else could have or will do any better???

RobbyBox2.jpg

Sorry, but you realy are on the moon if you think Aramis Ramirez is a "bright spot" for the 2006 Cubs... Sure, he's got 15 HR, and 49 RBI, but his AVE was below .200 as late as May 5th, and didn't rise above .250 until June 14th (and is currently at .251)... :shocked: Bright spot my ass.

Moose

i don't follow baseball or the cubs at all, so when i did my on the spot satire, i just tried to go with someone that maybe good. i saw that he had a team leading 15 home runs so i assumed he may be a good player.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Moose

i don't follow baseball or the cubs at all, so when i did my on the spot satire, i just tried to go with someone that maybe good. i saw that he had a team leading 15 home runs so i assumed he may be a good player.

Not to further condem you Coast2Coast, but to further condem A-Ram, an 0-4 tonight vs the 'Stros (in a stunning 1-0 Cubs win), puts him at a putrid .248 AVE...

Moose

Moose

Not to further condem you Coast2Coast, but to further condem A-Ram, an 0-4 tonight vs the 'Stros (in a stunning 1-0 Cubs win), puts him at a putrid .248 AVE...

Moose

you know the cubs far more than I do, who actually are the bright spots on the team?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Dusty should niot be fired cus he cant manage the Disabled List that his roster disintergrated into so quickly. Stick Contrereas, Garland and Konerko on the DL and I see a 15 game swing in record feasible. If they fire him who else could have or will do any better???

The good managers--Tony La Russa, Bobby Cox, Joe Torre--find ways to win where their top guys go down. Chipper Jones trips? You call someone up. They also get good years out of average players when need be. (Aaron Miles? Tony Womack? )They don't throw in the towels, shrug their shoulders, and say "we just don't have the horses, dude" like Baker does. I understand that in this regard, Jim Hendry shoulders part of the blame, because it's his job to provide the right players, but Dusty is at fault here too with regard to filling out the lineup card.

When Lee went down, he moved Todd Walker out of position to first and set up some strange middle-infield-by-committee by rotating Hairston, Cedeno, (Walker on days when Mabry manned 1st) and Neifi around between second and short. Any time Neifi Perez is getting more at-bats, you're going to lose games. Why not move Barrett to first and put Hank White behind the plate? That increases your production at first base, improves your fielding at the backstop, and keeps Walker at second base? You'll lose production at catcher (even though Hank has been a pleasant surprise), but this is supposed to be a fielding-first position anyway, and though I love Michael Barrett as a hitter and a team leader, he's no fielding whiz. But yeah, it's that Neifi man-crush at work again. Why was Glendon Rusch getting repeated starts after crapping the bed game after game when practically anyone could be an improvement? Why was Freddie Bynum ever starting at all? Dusty has his boys, and they're rarely the best options. Jim Hendry had to forcibly yank Marquis Grissom out of Dusty's paws this spring.

Also departing with Dusty would be his coaches, Sarge and Clines, and likely Larry Rothschild as well. These guys have done nothing but harm to players. They tried to make Matt Murton an "aggressive hitter" because "you can't walk across home plate," though you certainly can when the Chicago Cubs pitch to you. What's happened? Murton has regressed as a hitter, lost his vaunted patience at the plate, and was about to be platooned with Freddie Bynum. FREDDIE BYNUM, PEOPLE. Curiously, Gene Clines has publicly complained that Murton is difficult to coach, though all his coaches from clubs other than ours have spoken in glowing terms about how easily coached he is. Cub baserunning is a joke, and it's been a joke all throughout Baker's tenure. It hasn't ended with Moises Alou: guys just look lost on the basepaths, and some of that has to be pinned on the first base coach. We haven't had commendable baserunning since Kenny Lofton, who as a veteran, pretty much did his own thing anyway.

But above all, what's gotta go is the attitude. There's no accountability, responsibility, or any of that under the Reverend Johnnie B. Baker. The Cubs never lose because they swing at pitches being thrown in the 847 area code, or because they can't catch a routine fly to left, or because they can't find the strike zone if it's outlined and filled in with red and blue squares like in MVP Baseball 2005.

-Can't hit lefties? It's because we don't have a left-handed batting practice pitcher for day games.

-Can't argue a bad call at the plate? You can't see it from the third base dugout when you're sitting on your ass, and getting up is hard. 'sides, they're not gonna change their minds.

-Can't win more than 30 games at the halfway point? We need Angel Pagan back.

Jerry Hairston Jr. has said that the difference between Dallas and Chicago is night and day, in terms of how the team is run and the players are treated. This "players' manager" crap is a joke. We were supposed to have free agents lining up at our door to play for the good ol' papa bear Dusty. Who'd we get? Jacque Jones? All we've gotten are excuses, more excuses, laziness that transfers from practice to the games, and just a whole bunch of shoulder-shrugging. There's no intensity, no killer instinct, and no wins.

I don't know what else to tell you. Johnnie B. Baker, will you please go now!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived